Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dear Male Spouses/SOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Male Spouses/SOs

I am a member of my local and state medical association alliance (the spouse group). I want to know what are some things we could change, do or publicize so more male spouses choose to join our groups.

The reasons behind my involvement are philanthropic ( we do a lot for our community) and advocacy (we have a strong advocacy arm for medicine in our state). I was not involved while in training because it was just a SAHM's club that held their meetings and socials while I was at work. I became involved once out of training because I felt I needed to educate myself on the state of medicine - I was attracted to the advocacy part. Plus, no other WOH women were going to join if there were no WOH women in the organization to raise awareness and meet those spouses' needs.

Now, I am focusing on our male/same sex SOs. With 50% of med school classes being women, how are these organizations going to meet the need of their significant others? I met a lesbian couple that are very involved in advocacy and women's health issues. One is a physician and the other is a PhD. The PhD is becoming more involved in our alliance (especially at our state level) because we already have an infrastructure in place for advocacy. This case was easy - just a matter of matching interest with some of the organization's activities supporting their mission. I recognize it is just one couple but I was just one at first. I would like your ideas regarding what would attract/meet the needs of male SO's/Spouses.

One idea I have is for our board meetings to be held via video conference/phone call. I can tell you I have not made half the meetings because I cannot take the time to leave work & drive to the location. I could have easily joined in via phone. Now, this is at the board level. Before one can get on the board, we need to meet the needs of the members. Still, I think many male SOs do WOH and even if they have flexible schedules, their time to devote to such meetings is minimal.

Another idea I have is to plan a dad and kids social event. A friend teaches mommy and me workout classes at a local gym. I was thinking about having a daddy and me class and get a local craft brewery to donate post workout drinks ( for the adults ). No need to lose any calories burned .

I would also like to have speakers come in and discuss issues important to both male and female SOs. I'd like to stay away from finances because everyone seems to be pretty sensitive about their choice of financial advisors/how they handle their money. I thought about a communication skill workshop. I think anyone can benefit from better communication skills plus our physician spouses/SOs could use some support given the significance "bedside manner" plays in medicine today. What are some other topics that may be of interest?

My last idea is to start a scholarship of sorts for relocating spouses. As one follows the physician all over creation, spouses often have to start all over again or reinvent themselves. I think even SAHMs could benefit if they wish to start a home business. (We could make a rule of noooo essential oils ). What do you think about this? How much money would be significant?

I know his question has been posed before but I want to ask again since it has been a while...I am anxious to hear your thoughts.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

I've never heard of such an organization! I'd be super interested. I've become more involved with single-payer activism through the Women's City Club of NY if there was a "physician family" organization doing that sort of activism I'd be super into it. For me I get engaged with activism over facebook but honestly I'm not fb friends with any med spouses I haven't met through here, so I'm not even sure how to begin those networks...
    - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

I've also never even encountered a spouse support group - to my knowledge. I wasn't with my DH in med school, and was way too busy with my own life during residency. (I am still pretty sure there wasn't anything). But after that... nothing. The scholarship idea thing is really really interesting. I'll try to remember to think about it comment more later.... Btw i think finances are still critical in terms of speakers. I know everyone believes everything financial advisors pitch to the group - etc. but I think it would be awesome to have someone talk about red flags to look out for etc. I don't know. I still think way too many physician families get totally taken advantage of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If your county and state have a medical society, they probably have an alliance too. I just met the National Alliance president (works with the AMA president) - she is from FL.

http://www.amaalliance.org/annual-meeting

I believe the alliances do good work. However, there are many alliances still operating as a "ladies that lunch" club. This is the perception I am trying to move away from and be more reflective of today's physician families.

Comment

I'm still salty that the spouses organization at the place we did med school specifically excluded spouses of students. Apparently it was for resident spouses only? I don't remember if it included attending spouses or not.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
            I'm still salty that the spouses organization at the place we did med school specifically excluded spouses of students. Apparently it was for resident spouses only? I don't remember if it included attending spouses or not.
            There is a med student and resident/fellow group and an attending group here. The attending group pays the state membership dues of those still in training. We also invite the in training group to several of our socials and are paying to rent out the local water park one evening for the in training group and to welcome those new to town. Still, not many males join either group.

ETA - I can see why some would like to keep the groups separate. I imagine it is not comfortable to go to some social event with your attendings (or trainees) because it may feel like you cannot let down your guard...like you are still in your work roles.
            Last edited by medpedspouse; 03-17-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

males maybe more interested in lecture talks/powerpoint talks more than conversation and emotions... (maybe it's the asian in me)
              as a male spouse-- first thing i would suggest is..
              life is a journey - same goes for medicine..
              you must be flexible in your mindset and duties.. (even though in your mind, you're a man, u shouldn't be changing diapers and washing poo - yes you have to be superman - clean poo 1 minute, fried chicken the next and still be ready to answer a work related phone call. if you think superman just is about catching criminals - you need a better role model..)
              and yes, you may suck in cooking but after cooking for 1k time, you'll notice your cooking has improve. same goes for dressing/cleaning/washing the kids. the first step is the hardest - don't give up.. you'll run a marathon after walking 1mm steps.
              life will be hard sometimes.. it's not the end of the world - so be calm and make it through..
              at the end of the tunnel-- there will be another tunnel.. it's not like once you finish to attending life - it'll be a bed of roses.. oh no life goes on as it must and will.. there will be more monsters to slay and more issues will crop out.
              also know your limits-- and then go beyond that.. the limits are just in your mind.. there really is no limits--only things you don't want to do.
              ----
              sadly.. had i known this is what i signup for.. i would not have put my signature there...

Comment

Haha! This is my new motto [MENTION=4325]metroguy[/MENTION] "at the end of the tunnel- there will be another tunnel..." love it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X