Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Advise to a rdrunner who wishes to go to Pharm school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise to a rdrunner who wishes to go to Pharm school

need some advice. I am a 40 y.o. husband of a MD resident. We have 2 children and one on the way. Currently we live away from family (but plan to live close as soon as she finishes medical residency) and I am working part-time, study (completing pre-reqs), major caretake of the children and household. Over the past decade, my responsibilties have been snowballing getting bigger and bigger over the past few years.

Just over the past week I have been reflecting upon the quality of life my family may endure if I get into Pharm school. I may be odd but I find the most pleasure being with my wife and children. I have contemplated stopping my desire of going to Pharm school (wanted to go a decade ago but for obvious reasons, I waited). My wife and I have discussed what future might be in store for our family. She doesn't want to work "doctor" hours but is concerned with the cost of malpractice insurance (e.g. how would she be able to make a living and pay for this expensive cost if she works minimal hrs.)

Well my question is can I still have a reasonable good quality of life while in Pharm school and have quality time to give to my children and wife or is this just a pipe dream? I would appreciate any input, suggestions, advice, insight anyone who is in pharm school with responsibilities. Is it doable? Is there anyone currently doing it with my responsibilites? Can anyone provide options that I might consider (beside ending my quest). I don't want to lose my family over my aspirations (I already had a career as a h.s. teacher). Please help me.

Hello there~

I really don't have advice for you but wanted to point out this option - Creighton University in Nebraska has a web-based PharmD program. You do all your coursework from home and attend lab for a few weeks in the summer. I believe the total cost of the program(4 yrs) is ~90K, which seems prohibitive but not too bad considering a pharmacist's salary.

Good luck, and I hope you can achieve your dream!

Comment

Being from the midwest and a former employee of KU's Pharmacy school (one of the tops in the nation) I can say that Creighton is known for a great program. If the online program is looked upon fondly by the industry I would say its definitely worth looking into.

Pharmacy school is hard, not as hard as medical school and residency but if its a dream you should follow it. Pharmacists make good money and there is only more demand for them in the coming years.

Good luck!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

hi rdrunner and welcome.

I agree that if it's a dream you should follow it.
        however....
        if this is a dream from 10 years ago that has expired with the advent of family, then why give up a fulfilling teaching career to go for the long haul of grad school and tuition?
        caveat is that I know next to nothing about pharmacy school and being a pharmacist. (though I do play one on tv.)
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

Welcome rdrunner!

Well, I too, am no pharmacist. Though, my BIL is, yet he isn't married to a medical student and has no children. If this is a desire, then you can make it work no matter what the odds. But I have to agree with fluff,
          if this is a dream from 10 years ago that has expired with the advent of family....
          Life is funny like that....10yrs ago, I was on the path to playing professional football, except for the numerous knee surgeries and the constant college partying....but that was another life. Now, I am the caregiver to two boys and the house-manager while DW makes just enough money for us to keep Sallie Mae off our back.

If it is something that you are destined to do, then communicate with the family and you can get it done! Good luck, and come back often to the site!

....and thanks for posting in this forum, it was getting musty from the storage!!

Comment

Welcome aboard! It can be hard to balance family and career aspirations. I've has similar struggles throughout the years. For me, it has come down to taking time just for my family...at least for right now...but that's subject to change as the kids get older or I feel ready to step back out into the world of career etc.

Have you looked into Creighton University? They have a pretty rigorous online PharmD program that is supposed to be excellent. I know someone who graduated from the program and he got a good education...and now has a great job.

I think it's possible to balance career and family if you want....it is just sometimes not easy. I'm currently teaching biology lab one morning a week. I had to bring my 17 month old in two weeks ago and I basically just said "this is life lessons lab...this is the week I can have it all, but not all at once". The kids all laughed, but there was really truth to it. It's not perfect...but it's doable.

Good luck...and keep us posted on what you decide!!

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Thanks

Thank you all for your thoughts and kind words. I will take this info into consideration.

Comment

Working...
              X