Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Wife Started New Practice - Life is Collapsing - HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife Started New Practice - Life is Collapsing - HELP!!!!

My wife and I have been together for seven years, married for three of those. We started dating a year after she finished her residency, when she had just started work at an employed practice. She put herself through med school and residency. She is an incredible woman - very strong and self-reliant (almost to a fault). Life was good for us, but bad for her at work. For five years, her work situation kept deteriorating - to the point where we were considering hiring an attorney. I encouraged her to start her own practice, as did many of our friends and cohorts in medicine. I am in the medical field as well, having worked for our state medical association and for companies that create and sell EMRs and medical billing systems.

Soooo... we started the medical practice in April, three months after I started a new job as Director in a company (unplanned - and I've been traveling for work 3-4 days a week for nearly six months) and six months after the birth of our first child (planned) and three months before my daughter (12) moved in with us full time (also unplanned) and one year after we purchased a house and moved half of her family into it (story below). As you can imagine, the stress is incredible. Their practice has struggled with their IT (they started out on EMR - which also was my recommentation and it hasn't gone well) and both MDs are overwhelmed. They have the blessing/curse of starting out with a full practice, blessing that they aren't completely freaked out over money but curse that they are starting a practice from scratch with a full schedule - they are OBGYN. I have been working to curtail my travel after we had a "come to Jesus" meeting last month - and have only traveled four days in the last month. I agreed that I would only travel a maximum of 8 days a month going forward. We have a large home, and purchased it and added onto it with the intention of having her mother and grandparents live with us - for their sake (the grandfather is 93 and this is an alternative to a nursing home) and for us to have the live-in support to keep the family together. This has helped greatly - in fact, we would have to hire a live-in if we didn't have them here with us.

My question is this - how the hell are we going to get through this? We have no life together - none, she is working non-stop, she resents me for suggesting this in the first place, she is feeling that there is no end in sight for at least 18 months, etc. etc. The stress is killing her, but being the kind of person who takes it all on, never says no to anyone (but me, it seems), and who is a complete perfectionist, she won't admit it. Her partner is not as capable of dealing with this stress as she is, and doesn't have the support system my wife does, so my wife takes on more and more - much to the detriment of her and our family.

:argue:

I would appreciate the advice of anyone who has been in a similar circumstance with their medical spouse and what they did to get through the situation. Thanks in advance for anything you can offer.

A family member of mine used to do ob/gyn for many years, then went into infertility. Much better hours and less stress. Not saying that that is an option, but how about hiring another doc? Maybe one part-time? I don't know the finances of her practice, but if overwork is destroying the lives of both partners, it seems like adding another even if it decreases income for a while would be worth it.

Good luck, I hope everything gets better.
    Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

What about hiring a nurse practitioner to lighten the load? It wouldn't have to be a partnership thing, but a salaried employee who can deliver babies at night and see patients suring the day, paperwork too.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

An NP might be helpful, although I know what they're allowed to do varies by state. If you're in Ohio I think they're pretty limited.

I wish you & your family the best. It's a challenging specialty family / call-wise in the best of circumstances. mommax3 might have some good ideas (or commiseration). Her dh is OB/Gyn in a relatively new practice.

Comment

Wow...you guys really do have a lot going on.

I feel badly for you that she resents you for the choice to start her own practice. It sounds like her initial practice wasn't working for her and that you and she put your heads together to decide to open up her own practice...She probably doesn't blame you or resent you as much as she is unhappy with the current work situation.

I think the suggestions for hiring an NP or PA are good ones. It's good that her practice is busy enough already to keep her and her partner hopping, but she will also have to recognize that it isn't just the practice that is the problem...it's also her prefectionism and desire to do it all on her own. She needs to be able to let go a little in order to get some personal time for her and couple time for both of you.

Is cutting back on your job or even quitting for the next year or two a reasonable option? I know that would really bite, but it might reduce some of the stress until the practice is more established.

This isn't an easy situation...and it's not one that is likely to disappear after one or two hell-come-to-Jesus sessions. You guys both sound like you need a break!

Come here and vent anytime. We're here for you.

Kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Wow, you do have alot going on. I agree with the nurse practitioner idea. Some states a nurse midwife may have more autonomy than an NP. It varies state by state. It sounds like you found this site just in time!!!
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thanks for the kind thoughts

I appreciate all of the kind words and suggestions. Its a tough place to be right now and I posted on a really rough day in a rough week during a rough month.

I hope we can see light at the end of the tunnel and its not a train

We have considered the other MD but they want to make sure the finances are going to be there. Right now the alternative is to cross-cover with another MD/group so they can at least have a weekend to themselves/ourselves.

I have considered taking a leave or just quitting for a while, but with the hit we took in salary starting this thing we can't afford it. Maybe down the road - it might be the only way we can have kid #2

I'm just trying to help hold things together until we get through this initial phase. Don't be surprised if you see me post another sanity check here in the near future.

Its always good to know that others have been through this and have seen the other side.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X