As of today, I forfeit the ability to chide DH if he ever decides he needs another degree, fellowship, etc. I have never been one for letters after my name. However, I am always seeking more information/knowledge. So much so, that I actually enrolled in a Higher Ed./Adult Learning program. So much of what I do is spending time with faculty helping them to teach. As you know, the apprenticeship model is alive and well in medicine. This is great if said attending had a born gifted or med ed fellowship trained mentor. If not, he/she will teach the way that they were taught...which is not always the best way. So here I come - I want to equip myself with the tools necessary to help said faculty and learners.
Today is the first day of class (it is online). I am a little scared – good scared because it reminds me how scary my learning environment may be to faculty who have never used the technology available to teach medicine. Frankly, I am a little nauseated and the thought “what was I thinking” has crossed my mind several times. Today is also our residents’ the first day. When they are finishing up residency, I shall too be finishing up this degree.
Wish me luck – it all begins today.