10-10-2006, 02:42 PM

mommax3
Administrator

Look at my Pictures!

I heard some bad news yesterday.

About a year and a half ago, I found out that a dear friend from DH's residency days had been diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Her husband is a gyn-onc in the military. About six months after her diagnosis, Katrina hit their community (they were in Mississippi) and although their house was spared, the hospital was closed, and her husband was farmed out to an army post in Missouri, doing general OB. She and her children stayed with friends in St. Louis, while she went through chemo and radiation. Last Christmas, the Army sent them to Tripler Air Force Base in Hawaii. I haven't heard from her since last Christmas, but yesterday, I heard that the cancer is back and is in her lungs and liver.....she doesn't have much time left.

She and her husband actually made quite a bit of money (like 200K!) on their house in Mississippi when they sold it, because it was not damaged at all by Katrina.....one of the few! She has also cashed in her life insurance policy, and she and her husband have put a down payment on a house in Hawaii. Her husband has eight years left until he can retire from the military, and the Army has guaranteed that he can stay in Hawaii until then. My friend wants them to stay in Hawaii, and she is busy fixing up the house and making a home for her family while she still feels well enough.

She is only 36 years old. Her kids are 11 (a boy) and 9 (a girl). We were in Hawaii four years ago at a military medical meeting and spent TONS of time with this couple. We had SO MUCH fun and dreamed of doing it again in a few years.

Please send prayers and best wishes to my friend Mary.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."