I'll just pick up where I left off yesterday....

So, we were inseperable for the next few months. It was difficult as DH was studying for his finals and travelling over and back to the U.S. for interviews. He missed the match because his exam results weren't in on time but was offered a place outside of it. I remember him sitting me down and asking what he should do, take the job or wait another year. I couldn't believe he was asking me what to do, we had only been dating for 5 months. I told him to take it. I was so happy for him but at the same time I had no idea what was going to happen with us.

Two friends of mine were planning on going to the U.S. for the summer to work. We had all been considering it. When I found out that I could get a visa too, I was so happy. I told him and he asked if I was going to stay with them or him, I said him of course. He had been hinting that he wanted me to go but I knew he would never ask me outright. He graduated, I met his parents who came over for graduation. He came to the U.S and found an apartment etc. I followed ten days later.

Intern year was tough. I wasn't prepared for the long hours he had to work. I didn't know anything about residency. We still had a great summer though. It was crazy, living together after only 8 months of dating but we loved it. I stayed for five months. I was due to leave in November as my visa was up. We were both confused as to what to do. We had talked about applying for a fiancee visa. I wanted to get engaged before I left, he wanted to wait, didn't want me to feel pressured if I changed my mind. His exact words were "If you love something, set it free..."

We spent thanksgiving with his parents and friends, which was bittersweet. I left the following day. I was all cried out at that stage, just felt numb. The airport goodbye was awful. I remember going up the escalator and looking back, he was jus watching me with this devestated look on his face.

I got home to my whole family waiting at the airport. I had missed them so much. I was so glad to see them, but I felt like I belonged elsewhere. I got a job, worked a lot. It distracted me. I didn't get to talk to SO as much as I would have liked with the time difference and his work. It was an awful two months, I felt like part of me was missing. He kept asking when I was coming back. We had planned that I would go back, we'd apply for a fiancee visa and then I'd go back to Ireland to wait for it. I booked a flight and left a week later. My family were doubtful but they knew it was what I had to do. We had spent a great two months together.

I arrived at the airport. He had just finished work, was parked outside. I saw him, ran into his arms, in front of a whole line of traffic. He said "I'm not letting you go again." It was so good to be back together, I can't describe it. He kept talking about gettng married. He came home from work one day, two weeks later, sat me down on the couch, got down one one knee and proposed. We went to get our marriage licence the following day. We picked out an engagement ring (which he couldn't afford). We got married in a civil ceremony three weeks later. It was just the two of us, very special and beautiful.

Both of our families were shocked, it all happened so fast, but they understood. We're going to have a big wedding later in Ireland, with everyone there.

We've been married six months today. I'm waiting to see what surprise he has planned!! The poor guy probably won't get home until 9pm. Despite his awful work hours, my being very homesick and bored because I couldn't work, we are very happy. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I write all of this because those were the most significant moments. Life is just a series of moments, some of them are unforgettable. The way I felt while we were apart is what keeps me going through the hard times. I never want to feel that emptiness again. Everyone tells me I'm so strong to leave everything behind and start a new life, that they could never do it. Well, I always was one to follow my heart. It was fate.