So last night we told them... And it was perhaps the least gracious delivery of "happy news" ever, since I waited until late at night, and was really feeling the nausea. Mac was working on the computer- logging his hours yet again. His program keeps changing the way they want the residents to log their hours. Yeah... It's obviously because the form is wrong... that's why these surgical interns keep clocking over 80 hours a week...

So, I just said, Have you booked your tickets to Africa yet?

No.

Well, we may have something happen in early September...

What's that?

Well, I'm pregnant. Then-- quickly--- it's not planned, and I'm early along, and I don't want the kids to know...

They were troopers anyway. They did mention that our house is small ( ) and asked where the baby would sleep. Mac said, "We'll put the kid in Isabel's room." Mac's tired, and has the flu, so, I'm sure he could have phrased his master plan better...

Overall, they were supportive and didn't say anything hurtful, and Mom is really excited to have another baby (the last one for us-- we already told them Mac's getting snipped), and Mom thinks I'm going to need "lots of help." Yes, I will!

I did tell them to not cancel their trip to Africa, to see the wildebeest :huh: , and they are planning to come visit/help around the trip. (Mom half-heartedly offered to cancel the safari, but the wildebeest only migrate once a year into Kenya, I guess, so... :huh: I'm sorry-- I can see going on safari to see lions and elephants, etc., etc. But wildebeest? We shall see...)

So I am left with a bit of a conundrum for the childcare during the actual labor and delivery, but luckily I go quickly (like 4 hours tops) and so that should help, should the baby arrive during decent hours. Holy cow- with Luke it was a nightmare. He came about 7 hours before Mom's plane landed- he was born at 1:55 am. We got to the hospital at about 11:30 pm. He came earlier than we were all anticipating, and we had to scramble to find a sitter. Terrible planning, I know, but that's a story for another day. (Basically, Mac was in charge of finding the back-up sitter! That pregnancy was chaos from start to finish.)