Well, that was anticlimactic.

Wednesday night was supposed to be DH's first night of call ever. I was hanging out with a friend (her husband was supposed to be on call, too, but his schedule got changed so we went to a coffee shop and hung out) - about 9pm, I got a call from DH. "I'm at home". Turns out, "call" for inpatient IM in cardiology is all about admitting patients...or something. They're only supposed to admit 1-2 per day, and only supposed to have 3-4 total at any one time. At 6pm, DH admitted his second patient of the day, and his third total, so someone in charge (a nurse of some kind, I think) told him he should go home. So he rounded, and then did. He got up and went in at 7am the next day, but just for morning rounds (which lasted until about noon), since he was technically "post-call". I think it was good for him to have the afternoon off; this weekend is going to be crazy-busy. He'll have a second shot at a first actual call night on Sunday.

He also found out that next week's attending is another guy who's *really* slow (he had him for an afternoon last week in outpatient)...but this one is slow because he's thorough and cares, which is some improvement. DH says he really likes to teach, which should be good; apparently DH will get to watch him do a procedure on Tuesday, too (some kind of catheterization, I think), which he's looking forward to.