Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Preparing Children For a Move by Kristen Math

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Preparing Children For a Move by Kristen Math

Moving can be a stressful event for parents. We get so busy planning packing and preparing to leave that it can be easy to overlook our children’s stress. Depending on the age of your child there are some steps that you can take to ease them through the transition.

Babies and toddlers:
    Young children can not understand the concept of moving. Your home and family is their world. you may want to read a story about moving. The Berenstain Bears’ Moving Day is an age-appropriate choice. It will be reassuring to the toddler to help you pack some of their favorite toys into a box or their own little suitcase.

School-Aged Children:
    As children form relationships with their peers and enter school, the issue of moving can be quite stressful. It is important to recognize and address their fears and talk about any loss they may be feeling. Friendships are central in children’s lives and there may be significant grief associated with moving. Even children as young as Kindergarten may show symptoms of sadness and ask about old friends.

To ease the transition, take pictures of your new home and hang them up on the refrigerator. Spend time talking about the exciting changes coming and refrain from sharing any anxiety that you may have.

Teenagers:
    The teen-age years are punctuated by emotions and dramatic changes. Teen-agers lives revolve around their friendships. A move at this time is likely to be perceived as a traumatic event. Your teen-ager will be dealing with the loss of established relationships and the anxiety of starting over at this emotionally vulnerable time in their life. They may also miss out on some organized school activitieds especially if “try-outs” or “sign-ups” were at the end of the previous school year.

What can you do to help?
    • Acknowledge your children’s loss and make yourself available to talk
    • Involve your children in the move. Allow them to help pack and even help with house hunting
    • Maintain a positive attitude and refrain from burdening your children with your own anxiety or grief
    • Help your children keep touch with their friends by allowing the occasional phone call or helping to establish an email address.
    • Monitor yourself and your children for any signs of depression and don’t hesitate to reach out to your family doctor or pediatrician if you feel that you or your children need additional help.
      Posting comments is disabled.

article_tags

Collapse

There are no tags yet.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Preparing Children For a Move by Kristen Math
      by PrincessFiona
      Moving can be a stressful event for parents. We get so busy planning packing and preparing to leave that it can be easy to overlook our children’s stress. Depending on the age of your child there are some steps that you can take to ease them through the transition.

Babies and toddlers:
      Young children can not understand the concept of moving. Your home and family is their world. you may want to read a story about moving. The Berenstain Bears’ Moving Day is an age-appropriate
      02-23-2010, 03:46 PM
    • Starting Over by Angela DeBernardo
      by Sheherezade
      It seemed like things were finally settling down for my little family. My husband had completed his nomadic years of medical training, gotten a good job and moved us all to a cute little village on the outskirts of an interesting city. After a predictable initial adjustment to the new area and new job, everyone in the family had made connections and found things to enjoy. I felt a deep satisfaction at a job well done as I retrieved the mail and found a birthday party invitation for each of my two...
      02-23-2010, 02:40 PM
    • Move, Move, Move by Jennifer Hussey
      by DCJenn
      One of the joys of the medical life is that you’re guaranteed to never be in the same place for more than a few years! How you feel about that can be anything from utter dread to ecstatic excitement but the one thing that no one likes is the move itself. I have personally moved 12 times in the last 12 years (and that was before I married a military medical man) so I have gleaned some pointers that I’d like to share. Step One: Figure out where you are going to live BEFORE you move there. I wa...
      02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
    Working...
    X