Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Things my kids say ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things my kids say ...

Yesterday the boys asked me if all of their cousins are named Patel too (dh has made a big deal of fact that all of his cousins are Patels b/c both of his parents were Patels before marrying).

M: No. Your cousins on Daddy's side of the family are Patel. Mine aren't because my name was ****** before I married your Daddy.
    J: Why did you change your name?
    M: Well, traditionally when a couple marries, the woman takes the man's name. Not everyone does it, and you don't HAVE to, but that is tradition. (then I sidelined into an example of a friend who didn't and confused the hell out of the boys explaining how their kids are named).
    J: So why did you take Daddy's name?
    M: Part of the reason is that I knew our kids wouldn't look entirely like us, since Mommy and Daddy are different colors.
    J: Yeah - Quinn & I tan beautifully.
    Q: Yeah - 'cause we're mixed up kids!
    M: Yes - you're a mix of Daddy and me.

Then later, Jacob says:

J: Mom - when our baby sister comes out, can I hold her?
    M: Of course.
    Q: Me too?
    M: Of course.
    J: And can I sing her a lullaby?
    M: Yes - that would be wonderful. Mommy will depend on you for lots of help.
    J: Like with diapers?
    M: Yes.
    J: Okay Quinn - here's the deal. I'll help mom by bringing her clean diapers, and you help mom by throwing the old ones away.
    Q: NO WAY!

.... and then my sweet, sweet conversation about singing baby sister lullabyes changed into a discussion about baby poop and stinky things.

Comment

We had lunch at a restaurant as a family the other day, and the table next to us had a whiney little boy.

J: I'm glad we don't have anyone like that in our family.
      Q: Uh, hello? ME!

(I'm not sure if Jacob was being sarcastic or serious ... but Quinn's response killed dh and I).

Comment

My gorgeous boys ...

I'm one lucky woman!

Comment

I gave Quinn a kiss yesterday while he was playing on the computer.

Q: I know that's you mom!
          M: Really? How did you know? (I was totally being sarcastic, I'm kind of hard to miss these days.)
          Q: Because of your soft, soft kiss.

Then later when Jacob & Quinn were playing against each other on the computer.

J: Sorry to go so hard on you bro, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Comment

As I'm putting out dinner - taco soup.

Q: Mom - as you know, I don't like soup. May I have some meat instead?

Comment

My dudes on picture day

Comment

Quinn is ticked off. We've been saying that the baby would be coming "after your birthday" (yesterday), so he figured that meant she'd come TODAY. His party is on Sunday, and he'd been planning to take her to the party and introduce her to all of his friends.

In other news, Jacob asked me this morning if I know how to "speak pirate".

Comment

Tonight Quinn was complaining about the little plastic picture I have of Jacob on my keyring. It's not the first time we've talked about it.

Me: Buddy - I told you, I got it from Jacob's school pictures last year, but it wasn't available with yours. I'll get one of you as soon as I can. What is the problem? Does it make you think I don't love you?

Quinn: No. But it makes me think you don't respect me.

Comment

I want your boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

My dad came to visit this week - less than 24 hours, but his first visit in the 3.5 years we've lived here, and the most effort he's put forth in our relationship in at least 12 years. He's not a fan of kids (to put it mildly), but my kids did really well. I was amused by how my kids dealt with him.

Quinn, Mattie & I piled into my dad's truck (w/a backseat) to pick Jacob up from school. Quinn coughed and sneezed, and my dad said "Don't you go getting little kid germs all over my truck."

Later we went out to dinner, everyone piled in our van. Quinn said "Don't you go getting grandpa germs all over my van, Grandpa Bill."

Comment

I had a babysitter here for a bit this afternoon. I'd left a bottle for Matalin, but she started to get fussy again about 20 minutes before I was due home. The following exchange is between Quinn & Kaitlin (the babysitter).

Q: This is around the time that my mom usually feeds her.
                        K: Yeah, but I don't have anything to feed her.
                        Q: My mom just gives her mommy milk.
                        K: Okay - where is it? (Thinking maybe there was another bottle in the fridge that Quinn knew about).
                        Q: You uh, get it from you!
                        K: Ohhhhhhh .... but I'm not a mommy! Only mommies can do that!

Comment

In the van yesterday - exchange between Quinn, Jacob & me.

Q: Mom - don't tell Mattie that I'm in love with Savannah.
                          M: Why?
                          Q: 'Cause she'll laugh at me.
                          M: She wouldn't laugh at you.
                          J: She wouldn't laugh at you. We're family! (although he makes fun of Quinn about this all the time) She would think it's cute and ... and ... what's the word?
                          Q: Romantic?
                          J: Yes. Cute and Romantic. That's the word I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                          X