Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I think my head is about to pop off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my head is about to pop off...

Jennifer,

I am absolutely blown away by your week....It sure puts my week into perspective!!! I am really impressed by how well you dealt with all of this. How are you feeling now? How is your friend doing with the sudden loss of her mom? What an awful thing to have happen.

It does seem that our hubbies get a bit...preoccupied...with the importance of their world and have a hard time being the supporters....

I am just glad that your cat is ok....so she is diabetic? Wow! When things calm down a bit I think that I would definately say something to him about what you needed and see what he says.

For now, I hope that you will take today off....go to the mall with a friend and buy yourself something nice (but cheap )or the movies...take a long, hot bubble bath tonight.....Really, I just am in awe at how much had going on this week and how well you pulled it all together....

Here's to hoping that next week is MUCH better!

Kris

Jennifer,

I am absolutely blown away by your week....It sure puts my week into perspective!!! I am really impressed by how well you dealt with all of this. How are you feeling now? How is your friend doing with the sudden loss of her mom? What an awful thing to have happen.

It does seem that our hubbies get a bit...preoccupied...with the importance of their world and have a hard time being the supporters....

I am just glad that your cat is ok....so she is diabetic? Wow! When things calm down a bit I think that I would definately say something to him about what you needed and see what he says.

For now, I hope that you will take today off....go to the mall with a friend and buy yourself something nice (but cheap )or the movies...take a long, hot bubble bath tonight.....Really, I just am in awe at how much had going on this week and how well you pulled it all together....

Kris

Comment

Jennifer,

Kris

Comment

Ok- I want one, just one day when NO ONE needs me. I have had just about the worlds most odd and awful week- except that it's now been a week and a half and it hasn't stopped yet- the saga:

1) Monday night-(3/12) one of my clients falls at work (seizure) and breaks his jaw and his tooth- a long and horrible evening passes and we get to work Tuesday to discover that another client has a fractured shoulder- again from a fall at her day program from a seizure. both have surgery.

2) I go to a doctor's appointment on Wednesday to have a bruise on my foot evaluated- they have no idea what it is and end up taking a picture of my foot, having the Colonel and all of the residents, interns, staff, etc. come feel my foot. I am referred to ortho.

As if it's not strange enough- as I am leaving the hospital I see an older man kinda stumbling along- and I no sooner think "this is not good" than sure enough, down he goes into and onto the storm drain. I hop out of my car and end up getting the er people out to him (nasty head cut) getting maintenance to get his cane out of the storm drain and make sure he's attended to in the acute care clinic.

3) (this is the really bad part) Friday, my best friend since the fourth grade calls me at work to tell me that her mother had died the night before from bacterial meningitis. She was sick for less than 24 hours. So, I of course immediately make plane reservations. I then paged my beloved spouse who is now stationed 3 hours north of here for the month and inform him of the situation and that he needed to come home and pack up the house (moving on Saturday 3/24) and attend to the animals.

4) I go home and support my friend through this awful situation- full on 24 hours a day for four straight days. Call my beloved on Sunday and he has the balls to tell me - a) he hadn't packed a thing, b) because he was feeling kind of 'down' c) and didn't even bother to read the note I left and d) didn't find anyone to take care of the animals while I was gone and he had to go back to work... If I could have punched him, believe me I would have. I told him that I was really sorry but this time, he needed to suck it up and be my support- that not only was I not validating his pissant 'down' day, I wasn't allowing it to exist. Sorry, I'm the one who just lost my second mom and deal with it... (I don't get mad often...)and off he goes back to his rotation...

5) I get home at 11pm on Tuesday, and he really wasn't kidding about not doing anything. meanwhile, he rushes home to take care of the cat who has now been without insulin for almost 48 hours...luckily, my cat is tough.

6) Wednesday- I get up, go to work, go to the bank, get the cashier's check to go to settlement. I then go home, pick up Rick and off we go. He had managed to pack up most of his medical books. He left a 8am on Thursday.

7) I called in sick on Thursday and made at least 6 trips to the new house, taking breakables and valuables. Today, I continued to pack and clean, clean and unpack- and tomorrow at 7:30am the movers show up. and of course I ran out and bought danish and coffee to serve these guys.

I am so tired of being the reliable and dependent one all of the time. the one time I needed him to follow through - he couldn't get his head out of his ass to do anything. So, hopefully the movers will also be willing to help me unload the loft (brilliant one decided to store untold quantities of junk up there and I can't carry it all down- it took two of us to get it up there!) and also, hopefully they will deal with all of the stuff in storage, which I also had asked him to go through and move back to the apt.

So I thank you all for letting me vent- and if his stuff doesn't all get to the new place- oh well. He can bring it himself next weekend. and I do think his ugly chair (not to mention partially broken and all the way stained and very stinky since it lives permenantly in storage) that I hate is going to meet it's maker this weekend, too. UGH

Jenn

Comment

Ok- I want one, just one day when NO ONE needs me. I have had just about the worlds most odd and awful week- except that it's now been a week and a half and it hasn't stopped yet- the saga:

1) Monday night-(3/12) one of my clients falls at work (seizure) and breaks his jaw and his tooth- a long and horrible evening passes and we get to work Tuesday to discover that another client has a fractured shoulder- again from a fall at her day program from a seizure. both have surgery.

2) I go to a doctor's appointment on Wednesday to have a bruise on my foot evaluated- they have no idea what it is and end up taking a picture of my foot, having the Colonel and all of the residents, interns, staff, etc. come feel my foot. I am referred to ortho.

As if it's not strange enough- as I am leaving the hospital I see an older man kinda stumbling along- and I no sooner think "this is not good" than sure enough, down he goes into and onto the storm drain. I hop out of my car and end up getting the er people out to him (nasty head cut) getting maintenance to get his cane out of the storm drain and make sure he's attended to in the acute care clinic.

3) (this is the really bad part) Friday, my best friend since the fourth grade calls me at work to tell me that her mother had died the night before from bacterial meningitis. She was sick for less than 24 hours. So, I of course immediately make plane reservations. I then paged my beloved spouse who is now stationed 3 hours north of here for the month and inform him of the situation and that he needed to come home and pack up the house (moving on Saturday 3/24) and attend to the animals.

4) I go home and support my friend through this awful situation- full on 24 hours a day for four straight days. Call my beloved on Sunday and he has the balls to tell me - a) he hadn't packed a thing, b) because he was feeling kind of 'down' c) and didn't even bother to read the note I left and d) didn't find anyone to take care of the animals while I was gone and he had to go back to work... If I could have punched him, believe me I would have. I told him that I was really sorry but this time, he needed to suck it up and be my support- that not only was I not validating his pissant 'down' day, I wasn't allowing it to exist. Sorry, I'm the one who just lost my second mom and deal with it... (I don't get mad often...)and off he goes back to his rotation...

5) I get home at 11pm on Tuesday, and he really wasn't kidding about not doing anything. meanwhile, he rushes home to take care of the cat who has now been without insulin for almost 48 hours...luckily, my cat is tough.

6) Wednesday- I get up, go to work, go to the bank, get the cashier's check to go to settlement. I then go home, pick up Rick and off we go. He had managed to pack up most of his medical books. He left a 8am on Thursday.

7) I called in sick on Thursday and made at least 6 trips to the new house, taking breakables and valuables. Today, I continued to pack and clean, clean and unpack- and tomorrow at 7:30am the movers show up. and of course I ran out and bought danish and coffee to serve these guys.

I am so tired of being the reliable and dependent one all of the time. the one time I needed him to follow through - he couldn't get his head out of his ass to do anything. So, hopefully the movers will also be willing to help me unload the loft (brilliant one decided to store untold quantities of junk up there and I can't carry it all down- it took two of us to get it up there!) and also, hopefully they will deal with all of the stuff in storage, which I also had asked him to go through and move back to the apt.

So I thank you all for letting me vent- and if his stuff doesn't all get to the new place- oh well. He can bring it himself next weekend. and I do think his ugly chair (not to mention partially broken and all the way stained and very stinky since it lives permenantly in storage) that I hate is going to meet it's maker this weekend, too. UGH

Jenn

Comment

Jenn

Comment

OMG Jenn...i don't even know how you got thru all of that.It is just unbelievable!You really DO need some help and support right now...wish i could help you out.And i agree with you on him moving his stuff....thats way too much for you to do all alone.I bet he will make time to move all his stuff if he has too!After all....a person can only take so much..and you've taken enough to make a normal person collaspe!Wish we could all take a car full of boxes and put it in your new house...and then you'd have wayyyyyyyy less to do!

Lynn

Comment

OMG Jenn...i don't even know how you got thru all of that.It is just unbelievable!You really DO need some help and support right now...wish i could help you out.And i agree with you on him moving his stuff....thats way too much for you to do all alone.I bet he will make time to move all his stuff if he has too!After all....a person can only take so much..and you've taken enough to make a normal person collaspe!Wish we could all take a car full of boxes and put it in your new house...and then you'd have wayyyyyyyy less to do!

Lynn

Comment

Lynn

Comment

What a week, Jennifer. And Lynn and Kris are right, you are strong. You know, I can imagine my husband doing the EXACT same thing as yours did! I think my husband got so used to being given "slack" during residency that he just feels justified in sitting on his butt when everything else is falling down around him. For example, I did ALL his moves. He even let his 70 year old mother help while he was on call (note that he didn't try and switch with anyone like I asked him to). And how many boxes do you think he packed? Right: none.

Anyway, my advice is to not let residents wollow in the exhaustion and notion that they are the hardest done by individuals on the planet. Sometimes I think they get that mentality from being stepped on so much at work. But really, many, many jobs are harder and more demeaning. One of the worst personality changes that happened in my husband during residency (and it's continued afterward, I'm afraid) is self-centeredness.

Fight this one if you can--for your sake!!!

Janet

Comment

What a week, Jennifer. And Lynn and Kris are right, you are strong. You know, I can imagine my husband doing the EXACT same thing as yours did! I think my husband got so used to being given "slack" during residency that he just feels justified in sitting on his butt when everything else is falling down around him. For example, I did ALL his moves. He even let his 70 year old mother help while he was on call (note that he didn't try and switch with anyone like I asked him to). And how many boxes do you think he packed? Right: none.

Anyway, my advice is to not let residents wollow in the exhaustion and notion that they are the hardest done by individuals on the planet. Sometimes I think they get that mentality from being stepped on so much at work. But really, many, many jobs are harder and more demeaning. One of the worst personality changes that happened in my husband during residency (and it's continued afterward, I'm afraid) is self-centeredness.

Janet

Comment

Janet

Comment

Personally, I would have packed up all my stuff and left all of his after that. Sorry to hear you had such a horrible week. And I am assuming that you were not planning on taking that sick day when you originally planned out the move. One wonders why he couldn't of taken a sick day.

The rest of the world should drop what they are doing to make everything happen, but never the resident. We are all behind you and wish we could have helped you with the move.

Hope this week is proving to be a better one.

Comment

Personally, I would have packed up all my stuff and left all of his after that. Sorry to hear you had such a horrible week. And I am assuming that you were not planning on taking that sick day when you originally planned out the move. One wonders why he couldn't of taken a sick day.

The rest of the world should drop what they are doing to make everything happen, but never the resident. We are all behind you and wish we could have helped you with the move.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X