Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

A new life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so where did I leave off? Oh yeah, I was complaining again. I've just written a long letter to the leasing company here. We were without heat for almost two weeks. Of course it was when we had the coldest temperatures that had been seen in this area for over 20 years. As a result, we both got sick, DH is still battling through it. When did they get the heat working, when the temperatures went up. I must add that heat and hot water (which we were also without) are supposed to be included in our rent. It makes me so mad.

So now we're about to move and I have to find a new job. DH has gotten it into his head that we should buy a condo. The mortgage would be half of what we'd be paying in rent every month. I don't know, we have so much debt I don't think it's wise. On the other hand, I'm so sick of renting, I want a home.

We just got our tax refund back which amounted to $2200. Yay :rah:
    DH found out that he can book his vacation in April so, now that we can pay for it, we're off to Ireland. My family are soo looking forward to seeing him. My grandparents, aunts, uncles etc haven't met him yet. We're a very close family and with all that they've been trough, losing my aunt last month, I'm glad we can give them something to look forward to. I think DH will be pretty overwhelmed though. He comes from a small family with little contact from his relatives. I have 11 aunts + uncles and 27 cousins, most of whom will be there to meet us (that's just my moms side of the family) I'll have to get them to wear name tags! I can't wait to see everyone.
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Yippee! We booked our vacation. We're going to Ireland in May for 6 days. I can't wait! I can finally introduce DH to everyone (he's only met my immediate family). I'll also get to meet all my friends, most of whom I haven't seen in a year and spend some quality time with my family. We'll have a house all to ourselves for the week, thanks to my uncle so we can have some down time too.

We're doing great, DH is settled into his new job. I'm looking for a new job, tedious but there are plenty out there. I have an appt with an ENT doc on Thursday. I've had chronic sinusitis for a few years now. I have good months and bad ones. I've pretty much tried everything at this stage, nasal steroids, antihistimines, antibiotics, with little improvement. All they do is get me through the day. The final resort is surgery and while I'm hoping it's not necessary, I don't think there are any more options. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Comment

I guess we're on a good roll. I just got a great job offer! It's with this small, but quickly expanding company. They help people with healthcare issues such as those without insurance or those who's insurance companies won't cover costs. They do really great work there and I'm looking forward to starting next week.

It's DH's birthday tomorrow and he has the day off work so we'll have a double celebration . I've got a busy week ahead of me. I get my braces off on wed (DH has never seen me without them). While I'm looking forward to it, it's also quite scary. I won't say how long I've had them on but it's been a VERY long time. I meet my new colleagues on Thursday and start my new job on Monday.

Meanwhile I'm trying to plan our vacation. We'll be doing a bit of travelling around Ireland, something we never did together when we lived there. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a vacation so much. It's not just meeting family/friends I haven't seen in a year. I think I miss the countryside more. My family live in this big old farmhouse, with a 40 acre farm, on the side of the mountain, and the scenery is just beautiful. I've been missing it a lot lately. Maybe it's because we're going back but I think it's mostly because it's springtime, always a busy season on the farm and always my favourite time of year. I used to love looking after all the new baby lambs and calves and almost always ended up with a pet lamb which was a full time job. It was really a great place to grow up. It's funny how you take these things for granted until you don't have it anymore. I hope that one day our future family will be able to experience it.

Comment

An update.....

So, in the last 3 months I.....

1) Quit the worst job I've ever had, after sticking it out for three months. I posted about it in the call room. The people there were FREAKS!!

2) Went to Ireland. I finally got to go back and introduce DH to my grandparents, extended family. They loved him, which I knew they would and I got the official approval (after a year of marriage). It was a wonderful trip and I got to show DH the farm, my Dad even had him herding the cattle, taking advantage of the extra help. We did a lot of travelling and visited friends, it was good to be back, although it terrified me that it felt less like home and will even more so when we go next year. I wasn't prepared for this!. There are times when I really do miss it

3) Moved apartments. This one is soo much better, feels much more like home and I can see us staying here until the end of residency (funny how our lives are mapped out according to DH's job)

4) Had another vacation this month. We drove to Vermont and Montreal and had a great time. Long drive but it was worth it. Montreal is an amazing city. Can't wait to go back there. Vermont is somewhere we see ourselves settling down. I love the countryside there.

5) Started a new job a week ago. It's interesting and I'm working with normal people so I'm happy. I never was very career focused. To me a job is just a job. Maybe that will change but for now, it suits me.

And now..........

DH is doing great in his new program. His six month evaluation was glowing. His switching programs has leased a whole new life for us. We are finally able to spend time together (only 3 calls a month), and found out that we actually do get along. I know that he will have difficult rotations but after 18 months of surgery, we can handle it. I am just realizing now, how damaging surgery residency was to our relationship, not a good way to start married life. If we had continued down that path I don't know where we'd be now!! I think DH was in an exceptionally bad program and the residents were treated like crap. I'm soo thankful that he made that switch.

Comment

Re: A new life

Wow, I can't believe it's been a year since I posted on here. I've been in major lurk mode for a while now.

Everything is going well here. I've got a good job, been there over a year now and despite the crappy economy having an effect on sales, all is well.

DH has 17 months of residency left. I can't believe how quickly it has gone by and that we'll have to think about where we want to go very soon.... I was talking to his PD recently and he said. "It's my duty to let all of the wives/husbands know that an end is in sight and that they will graduate. You have nothing to worry about, he's a great resident and will get an excellent job."
            Haha! He's a great guy. I didn't have any worries in that regard but it's nice to hear it from the boss!!
            I must say though, if anyone is looking for an anesthesia residency, I can recommend this one (so far anyway). When I look back at what our lives were like two years ago (during that surgery residency), I don't know how we did it. It was pure misery.
            So, when DH graduates in 2010, he's going to work for a year (we're going to have that fabulous wedding we never had, and honeymoon), then he'll go back and do a fellowship. Fingers crossed!!

For now though, we're just moseying on.
            I haven't been feeling the best of late (having an upper endoscopy next week), but I won't let that get me down. Poor DH is more worried than I am. I think it's just a case of him knowing too much about these things!

Anyway, just wanted to check in!

Comment

Working...
            X