Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Subject? I guess I'll call it "My Blog"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject? I guess I'll call it "My Blog"

Before I delve right into my rant, let me give a little background.

I have one sister (5 years older). We were the epitome of sibling rivalry growing up. There was even bloodshed at one point. There is so much history between us, its surprising we even speak to each other today. There are three reasons we do...Jeremiah (3), Cassie (2) & Piper (4 months). My sister has the three most adorable children. Jeremiah is my godson and the joy of my heart. Cassie just turned two and we had her party today, which is the source of my frustration and despair.

You see, my sister is...different. She and her husband both are. They don't care about what anyone else thinks, they don't bathe on a regular basis, their house is disgusting and hardly fit for children, they spend most of their time in front of the computer (not like us here at medspouse) involved in some strange fantasy world called UO. I have no idea what it is and I do not care to find out. All I know is it keeps them occupied while my niece and nephew are busy getting into the hall closet and dumping toothpaste, shampoo, baby powder, lotion, etc. all over themselves and the floor and coloring on the walls with markers. I understand kids do this type of thing, but they should have never been given that much time to do all these things without her checking on them. They live in a one-story, three bedroom house for crying out loud. Now, before anyone gets defensive, I completely understand the hardships she must face having three little ones at home with a husband who does little to help. I have the utmost respect for those of you who are doing this. Just keeping two of them for 6 hours is exhausting for me. But as tired as I am, I still put their needs before mine. I still have the "maternal instinct" that I feel my sister lacks. What pisses me off the most is how she feels that because these kids popped out of her she automatically thinks she was bestowed with this all knowing knowledge and won't listen to what anyone else has to say. Not having children of my own, I will give her some of that, but she doesn't have a clue when it comes to most things.

Through the lives of these three kids my family and I have observed them smelling like urine, no sheets in the crib, my nephew sleeping on a bare queen-size matress in his room when his toddler bed was in pieces in the closet, earwax built up so much that it made me gag to clean it out with a baby wipe, uncontrolable eczema on the middle child's legs that is actually pussing and scabbing, significant developmental and speech delays with nothing but denial from my sister (keep in mind, DH is 8 months from being a pediatrician) and the list just goes on. Their house reeks of garbage, the 4 month-old is still sleeping in the bassanette even though she has a crib in the same room that is filled with stuffed animals! How lazy can you be! I swear, she is the most clueless, lazy, selfish, procrastinating so-called mom I have ever met.

Okay, so I've given a little background, here's how today panned out. I had gotten a call from her last night asking if I and DH could pick the kids up and take them to church with us because, "if I have to miss church they shouldn't have to." I said, "They're 2 and 3 years-old. They don't get anything out of church and there is no one in the nursery in early, so that means one of us has to skip church to watch them." She said, "well, it would also help me out so I could get some stuff done around here befor the party." I sucked it up and said we would be there at 7:30 AM to pick them up, meaning we had to wake up 1/2 earlier and drive all the way up to there house, get the kids, and keep them occupied while we warmed up for choir. Fast forward to breakfast, my mom, DH, the kids and I went to IHOP and then back to my mom's. There we played and watched Cinderella and Dumbo. I had laundry to do also, so I had to squeeze that in. Then my mom and I took the kids to get new shoes. Jeremiah's were wearing shoes 1 1/2 sizes to small and Cassie's were one size too small.

Around 3 we headed back over to their house, where I bathed all 3 kids, changed them, got them dressed, and fed the baby her bottle. Meanwhile, my sister's house STILL looked like a disaster area. The living room was cluttered with junk, not only kid toys, but all kinds of things. The vacuum was sitting amidst it all, even though the floor was obviously not clean. There were piles of clothes and other crap stored in every corner and there was stiil shit on the couches...oh and I failed to mention before how they don't have a dining room table in their dining room....well, they do, but it's shoved against the wall with two computers on it (one for her and one for my bil). So we're looking at about 6 places to sit for the guests that were to be showing up in 20 minutes. As they start arriving, she worries more about the kitchen and the crappy food she's preparing than moving things so they have somewhere to sit. So I moved a box of the chair, the play mat that was sprawled on the couch, and other odds and ends, but the vacuum still sat in the middle of the room. So as her in-laws arrive, some friends, and my aunt, uncle and cousins filter in as well, there is no room for everyone. We all exchange looks because we are all thinking the same thing. And saying things to my sister or her husband is like talking to a wall. We should really know better by now, and just accept it, but I can't. I cannot stand to watch my nieces and nephew grow up in that kind of environment. Everything I did all day was for Cassie (the birthday girl). I didn't do it for my sister. If I had the choice I would say screw you and let her wallow in her own filth, but that is not fair to the kids. I put a lot of stock in the fact that your childhood shapes who you are as an adult (thanks to my sister and some other factors, I have been in therapy for almost 10 years now). She, of course, has some REAL issues but will never admit them.

Anyway, I'm getting tired so I'm getting sidetracked. So after all the stuff I did for these kids today, do I get a single thank you? No! I get yelled at and berated because I have enough balls to stand up to her when she was standing there, holding a Twinkie with 3 burning candles in it while Cassie fussing and almost crying, everyone is standing around waiting for by bil to come into the kitchen so we could sing Happy Birthday. He had just gotten off work (no, they don't schedule parties around his schedule. He doesn't seem to care. He wasn't even present at his Cassie's baptism) So, when he's not coming in the room I said, "Does he even care to be in here? Did he ask you to wait this whole time?" All she said was, "Shut up, Susan. This isn't the time to do this with all these people here. I know YOU don't care about that." All this in her evil demon tone. What she didn't know is everyone standing there was thinking the same thing, but I'm the only one who ever stands up to her. It took everything I had to bite my tongue and not bite back. (I failed to do that once when I threatened to call child services and we had a HUGE blowout...unfortunatley that was Christmas night at my moms'.) It would be different if she hadn't asked me to take the kids all day, or if she hadn't asked me to bring tortilla chips, salsa, cups, and plates, and if she hadn't asked me to bathe her children...but she DID! Not one thank you. I do this for the kids and that is it!!! But in doing so, I feel like I'm the floor mat. The only good that comes out of it are the hugs and kisses I get from them. I only hope they know someday how much I care about them and how much effort I and DH have put into helping suppliment some of their childhood happiness. DH was even so pissed that we had to leave immediately after the cake so he didn't tell her off.

So, this begs the question, "Do I continue being the floor mat?" I'm so afraid that if we didn't help, these kids would not have "normal" childhoods. This birthday party would have been worse than it was, or may not have happened at all.

If anyone is actually still reading this, I commend you for your stamina. I apologize if I have offended anyone, but I assure you there is justification behind all of my actions/thoughts. I'm just completely at my wits end. I love these kids so much, but I can not stand their mom!!!!

Through the lives of these three kids my family and I have observed them smelling like urine, no sheets in the crib, my nephew sleeping on a bare queen-size matress in his room when his toddler bed was in pieces in the closet, earwax built up so much that it made me gag to clean it out with a baby wipe, uncontrolable eczema on the middle child's legs that is actually pussing and scabbing, significant developmental and speech delays with nothing but denial from my sister (keep in mind, DH is 8 months from being a pediatrician) and the list just goes on. Their house reeks of garbage, the 4 month-old is still sleeping in the bassanette even though she has a crib in the same room that is filled with stuffed animals! How lazy can you be! I swear, she is the most clueless, lazy, selfish, procrastinating so-called mom I have ever met.
    Okay, now that I've had a few days to calm down I can explain some more about my sister/the kids.

First of all, I wanted to clear up a few things. All the things I said here have been spread out over 3 years. They didn't all happen at once, and I may have made them out to be worse than they are since I was so pissed off. Don't get me wrong, they're all true, its just...well, I'm not so sure its bad enough to warrent the uproar of calling DFS. Believe me, if the kids were really in that much danger, DH would step in. It's just, at this point things aren't as bad as they have been. My sister FINALLY called First Steps, but they said Cassie wasn't delayed enough to qualify for free therapy. She was only 35% delayed. She's 2 and not speaking yet (other than hi, bye, please "peez"), but she doesn't qualify? That's a load of crap.

Anyway, you all were wondering what my parents thought. Well, my dad died 2 years ago (my sister was 8 1/2 months pregnant with Cassie) but that's another story for another blog. My mom is in the same boat as I am when it comes to my sister. It all really goes back to when we were kids. My sister was a precocious child. She learned to read at an early age and always had the ability to really succeed, but she never had the drive. Her report cards would always say, "She doesn't turn in her homework, she's always talking, etc. etc."

My theory is, she was the center of attention until I came along 5 years later, just about the time she started school and having problems socially with her classmates. She may have been advanced intellectually, but she had no social skills. Even at that age she didn't care what anyone else thought. Then came the counselors that my parents had her see, the Ritalin which was forced upon her, and even a full psychiatric exam. As far as I know, she was never diagnosed with anything, but believe me, there is DEFINITELY something wrong with her. We eventually started family counseling when I was around 10. I still remember our first session when the therapist identified me as the "Icebreaker" of the family, always trying to make light of the situation or trying to keep the peace. The worst thing the therapist could have ever told us is, "This isn't Carrie's (my sis) problem, it's the entire family." She took this as, "It's not just me that's dysfunctional, it's all of us." What the therapist meant was, it was a problem that affected all of us, which we must learn how to deal with, but Carrie took that as, "It's not my fault." Yeah, it could've been true, except for the fact that once she went away to college and then moved half the country away, our home got a lot quieter and more peaceful. I started getting along with my parents and we all evolved into completely different people. I used to hate my mom...now she's my best friend. Another thing I'm sure drives my sister crazy. She never got along with my parents. Everything was a power struggle with them. They had to force/threaten her to do her chores, bathe, do her homework, etc. (interestingly reflective in her life today) and she fought them every step of the way. There is even a cassette tape of my mom trying to get my sister to take her medicine when she was about 11 or 12 years old. Apparently my mom taped it to show her therapist what she had to go through each day with my sister. It must have gone on for 1/2 hour of my mom telling my sister to take her medicine and my sister retorting with a blood-curdling, "NOOOOOO!!!!" I'm even on it in the background being the "cute little angel". That's the role I took, though. Anything my sister did, I observed and did the opposite. She didn't like that though because that meant I was the "good daughter" and she was the "bad daughter". I was always on my parent's good side, and she was always on their bad side. My childhood wasn't all peaches and cream, though. Everything my parents dished out to her, she passed along to me, which is where all of my resentment comes from. She used to torture me physically and emotionally. She would make fun of me to the point where I would lash out at her, only to get hit, kicked, scratched, etc 10 times worse. I learned I couldn't defend myself without suffering further consequences. Once I hit her upside the head with my purse after being taunted the entire way home from school, she came back to smack me across the face and ended up giving me a bloody nose. My dad said if she ever touched me again he'd break her arm. Before you jump to conclusions, my parents weren't abusive, well maybe emotionally, but not physically.

Something else that will boggle your mind is, she actually tries to be my friend. But I can't stand her. We never got along then, and I don't see why she thinks we can get along now. When we do hang out she always talks about herself or some other boring crap that she's told me before, when I try and talk serious with her she either changes the subject, gets defensive, or justifies it in her warped little head. I always end up leaving frustrated and my tongue hurts from biting it so hard.

I don't know if this blog helped clear anything up or not. I'm tired so I'm not really thinking as I write. I guess I wanted to give a little bit of my sister's background. I'm not trying to defend her, but every once in a while I try and justify why she is the way she is. But, still, none of this is an excuse to neglect her kids.

Comment

Puppy pains

Okay, so I posted a plea for advice in the Pet Therapy section, but I really need to get a lot off my chest, so bare with me...

I've been wanting a Dachshund pup every since we got a house, and now that I have one I'm second guessing myself. I knew it would be a lot of work, but I had no idea HOW much work. I feel like I have a baby, except I think a baby would be better because at least it won't be mobile for 8 to 12 months so you can get used to it in the meantime, and it goes to the bathroom in it's diaper, not all over your living room floor. I've been up in the middle of the night with her, and the latest I've slept since we got her was 6:15. I'm currently unemployed (until Monday, yay!) so I'm home with her all day, all night. Dh is on 4Q call so every 4th day I'm completely on my own with her. I am completely worn out. She is suffering from separation anxiety, which is understandable, but it's draining on me. I feel like I have to keep her in her crate or constantly watch her. I've really been struggling with her going to the bathroom inside (even when I'm watching her, catch her in the act and try to rush her outside to finish) and when she's outside not going, so by the time she gets back inside she goes again. She's not doing this all the time, but more often than not, this is the pattern. How can I feel like we're getting anywhere when this keeps happening and not improving? :huh: I don't know...it's just been a bad day, and I'm really stressed and frustrated. Dh was on-call last night, so it's just been me and the pup for over 30 hours.

I don't know what I expected, but not this. To top it all off, today was her second round of shots and I found out she has fleas. That means, my two cats probably have them and who knows where they are in the house, yard, etc. I gave the puppy her Frontline, but after I did it I realized I gave her the cat one, not the dog. It just seems like I couldn't do anything right today. I just really needed to expell some anxiety, so if there is anyone reading this...thanks for listening.

p.s. I really do love the puppy. She's as sweet as she can be, and really is a good dog.

Comment

Subject? I guess I'll call it "My Blog"

Don't know if anyone noticed, but I haven't been on for a while, which is odd considering DH started residency over three months ago. The thing is, up until this point it hasn't been that bad. In fact, it hasn't been bad at all. He even started in the NICU, but even then he had pretty normal hours and wasn't horribly stressed out. The next month he had his clinic month, i.e. 8 to 5, Mon-Fri. And to top it off he had his well-baby rotation last month. This one he had two to three half days each week.

Of course, now that all of his easy rotations are out of the way, residency can really start. He is finally doing a rotation at Children's (NICU and well baby were at the university hospital and clinic was, obviously, at clinic). This month he's doing the general medicine floor, and today/tonight is his first call.

Now, let me give a bit of backstory. We moved 7 hours away from all of our friends and family and have no friends, despite being here over four months. We got a puppy thinking this would help with his absence, which it has, but it's also created a strain when we want to be alone, or not have to mess with her, etc. I spent most of the day today doing what I normally do when he's at work and I'm home, which is laundry, clean the house, and play around on the computer. Now that it's night-time I'm tired of cleaning, the laundry's (almost) done and even the computer is barely keeping my interest. The problem is I was kind of waiting for DH to call and say I could come up for dinner. This is one small glimmer of hope that I always seem to cling onto when he's on-call. Of course, more times than not he never calls, or does but is too busy for me to come up. Case in point, I just talked to him about an hour ago and he said he didn't know if he'd have time or not, especially if things continued on how they had been. He ended the call pretty abruptly saying, "I'll call you back in a little while."

So, here I sit, feeling sorry for myself and waiting for him to call back. I know he's not going to, but that doesn't stop me. I'm not normally this bad, but for some reason today it's just getting to me. *sigh* :bummer:

Comment

Working...
        X