Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

"Toddler Diarrhea"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Toddler Diarrhea"

...or "Non-specific Diarrhea of Childhood" Anyone heard of it? After 1 month of continuous diarrhea from my son (22 months) which has persisted despite numerous dietary modifications (no milk, no sugar, no fruit, no juice), I am at my wits end. The good part is that he is acting like his usual self, and the diarrhea doesn't seem to be causing him any discomfort, BUT as one might expect the constant pooping is causing a NASTY (as in open sores bleeding at times) diaper rash. Currently, we have an antibiotic ointment we are using covered with a thick barrier cream (we've sampled every kind we can find).

Diaper changing time is like a WWF match in which I have invented my own move "The momma take-down" in which I buckle his feet under my armpit and quickly smear as much ointmet/cream on his butt as possible (this of course is following the record-breaking cleaning of the butt). AARRGGHH.

The pediatrician has NO explanation for this and we've tested the poop (all ok). Nobody in my house, or daycare, or the sitter's has been sick, so I think it is a disorder within him. I have done some research (because as a nurse and mother I must of course make my own diagnosis and treatement regimen ). I have diagnosed him with "toddler diarrhea" which basically consists of diarrhea of unknown etiology that does not cause discomfort, and usually goes away by age 4.

Anyone experience this?
    Anyone have any similar situations?
    Anyone have a diaper rash solution?
    I AM SICK OF POOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Re: "Toddler Diarrhea"

No advice, only sympathy. I would be at my wit's end as well.

Surely this will be gone before he is 4! I hope!

I just remembered that my neighbor's little boy went through a stage like this for a while. They tested poop too for a bunch of things but nothing was wrong. I think it just went away. They were not digging on it either.

Comment

We experienced this.....yuck. I did exactly what you are doing with the ointment and fed my guys lots of cheese and bananas in hopes that things would "firm up". It didn't last too long, and their butts eventually healed.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thanks for the support! I guess I just have to "wait and see" and hope it passes. As I stated earlier, I'm just so glad this doesn't seem to be bothering him (other than the diaper rash). I am changing him (and instructing daycare/sitter to change him) as much as possible throughout the day. I try to let him go diaper-less, but I have to admit that considering he has somwhere between 4-8 watery poops per day, I do get a little anxious with him going bare-bottomed. Maybe I'll keep him gated in the kitchen like a puppy! Haha!
        Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

Wow...that sounds....unpleasant.
          We've gone a week or two, and even that makes me crazy.
          No suggestions, but if you want to let him roam in my garden diaperless, I could use some nitrogen input!
          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
          Let's go Mets!

Comment

Working...
          X