Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Speaking of sun products . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of sun products . . .

Can I ask what you all use on your babies?

Is there a real difference between the baby sunblocks and adult sunblocks?

Do you worry about chemical vs. physical blockers?

My main concern is that the sun shade on Cora's stroller doesn't cover her legs. I have a bottle of Coppertone Waterbabies, but I'm about fed up with how very very greasy it is. (Like carrying around a 15-lb buttered turkey. :P ) I've heard other recommendations--Blue Lizard, California Baby, yadda yadda yadda--at ten bucks a bottle I'm not too eager to go through a bunch of random guessing.

We have not had any sensitive skin issues with Cora--think we could just spot test and then use the Coppertone Sport on her that we use on ourselves?
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Re: Speaking of sun products . . .

I've done both. My kiddos have super-sensitive eyes, and inevitably (even if I use it on just bodies) end up wiping their hands wherever the sunscreen is into their eyes. So, I stay with either some water babies-esque sunscreen that is tear free, or Aveeno for DD who is really super sensitive and breaks out from just about anything. Other than being tear-free, I don't think there's really any reason not to just use what you have for yourselves. If you're anything like us, though, you'll end up going through several bottles over the summer, so it wouldn't hurt to have more than one bottle in the house.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Here is what Oprah's magazine has to say:

http://www.oprah.com/health/soh/200706/ ... _108.jhtml

What we do -- I use the same sunscreen on my kids that I use on myself. I don't always get the baby stuff. The biggest thing for me is that it is waterproof. One problem we've had is the stuff running into the kids eyes with water or sweating. I use 30 or higher and like the Neutrogena helioplex stuff. The coppertone that is the green bottle (sheer?) also applies nicely but I can't remember if it runs in their eyes. Don't forget that you need to use a good amount. I think it is an ounce for an entire adult body (about a shot glass, read that on the O site too, you can find it with the above link).

eta: I just read Deeb's post. I also really like the Aveeno sunscreen and haven't had any issues with that (with eye irritation).

Comment

eta: I looked around on the Coppertone site and can't find the sheer product they used to have. Maybe it is the oil-free? Also, I thought they called their broad-spectrum coverage "Spectra 3" or something like that. :huh:

Comment

We use Vanicream, its pretty expensive but a friend who is a dermatologist uses it on their kids and have never had a sunburn. Its not widely sold so that might not help some people, our Target carries it but that could be because its a Rochester company.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I would spot test, but I say this because I have one who is allergic to coppertone products and I found out the hard way. I also like Aveeno.

Comment

I've been really happy with the tube of Aveeno we have. I bought Neutrogena spray on stuff at Costco but if I hadn't, I'd probably get the Aveeno again.

I haven't seen Vanicream at the target here but I think I've heard DH mention it. eta: he says it is great but hard to get here.

Comment

When the dude was tiny, I caved and bought some insanely expensive organic zinc oxide product at Whole Foods and it was GREAT. You didn't need a ton because it's zinc oxide and is thick. Now, I use the Coppertone bug and sun stuff on him because apparently the Texas mosquitoes love them some Russian dude.

Jenn

Comment

I like the spray stuff, Neutorogena with helioplex or the other ones that have broad specturm UVA/UVB from Aveeno or even Coppertone. I prefer spray though, and I typically get SPF 45 or higher.

I use this in 45.

I like this one in Coppertone, and we probably use this the most. Last summer, I think it ws SPF 50.

I really like this face stick. It is so easy to make sure you get it everywhere, and it doesn't run. It is great for faces!
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Thanks, Tara. I figured it would be easy to order on-line. It's just not on the shelves here. I'm happy with the Aveeno and Neutro stuff. I don't need to be any more high maintenance than I already am.

Comment

I was looking for a picture of the face stick but Heidi found it first. I agree wholeheartedly...the face stick is awesome! It is super thick and doesn't run into eyes...so no burning.

Comment

Was it the coppertone? It sounds like a few of you have had reactions to that. I don't think we have but I hate the smell of it and that is why I chose other stuff.

Comment

It really is awful. Maybe the stick is better, I've only used the spray and lotion. I think I am remembering correctly (we have a lot of different types of sunscreen around here!). You would think that for a product made for kids and babies they would have a less gag-inducing fragrance. Blech just thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowWhite
                              Hey guys, I am interested in the Vanicream and looked it up last night. Is it really better than other available sunscreens? Is it just because all the irritants are removed, or is the protection factor superior?
                              I only know what I've been told by my dermatologist friend and the fact that around here everyone SWEARS by it. In fact I was just at the park and one mom was complaining b/c she only had the 35 and I had the 60. Like I said I have friends that have never used anything but and their kids have never had a sunburn. :huh:
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X