Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pediatricians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pediatricians

How long is it "normal" to wait in the peds office?

We took Isabel for her one month check up today and spent almost an hour waiting for various people. First, it was 15 minutes in the waiting room, then 20 minutes for the doc to show up (while she was naked and screaming), then another 15 minutes for PA to give her a shot. She was screaming almost the entire time and was not a happy camper. DH wants to find a new peds group. I don't know if other groups will have significantly less wait time. There are 2 other groups in the area, but everyone we know goes to our current one.

Is it worth switching?

I don't have any experience with peds groups, but if you really like the doctor(s) other than the wait, it might well be worth the waiting. If they're OK but nothing special, it might be worth checking out the other ones. Did any of the people you know who go to your current one try the others out first? Some of them might tell you why they picked this one over the others...
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I waited for my primary care doc for over an hour today too. Granted, I wasn't naked and screaming, but it wasn't pleasant to wait for her. However, I LOVE her. She is amazing and awesome.

I agree with Sandy on finding out from the other parents why they chose this group. Scope out the other groups a bit too, but don't switch unless you're sure it's the right move. Also, was this a fluke for them, or are they always this late? You should also try to schedule first of the day appointments or the first appointment after lunch. That way there is less likelihood that they are running behind.

It's also important to know why they are running behind. Is it because they overbook? Is it because they take time with their patients? Was there an emergency or complex case that needed attention that day? You want them to take the time they need with you too. When they come in an hour late, are they rushing you to get back on schedule, or do they value your appointment time too?
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Ours are probably more like 10 minutes for each wait, but yes - I think the waiting is normal.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I totally agree. I think *most* peds offices tend to run behind b/c their patient population isn't terribly predictable and/or cooperative. My OB is another that is *always* behind, but it's b/c she really tries to take time with each patient, and doesn't rush when there is a problem. I've been on both sides of her care, and I'm willing to camp with a book so that she can tend to others having issues. I totally get that it's a lot harder with a newborn, but I always try to bring something for them to do, and I don't do the strip down until I've got the doc in the office (with a newborn).

Comment

This was our third visit there and they're always running late. We tried to schedule our appt as early as possible (9am) and there was only one other baby in the waiting room when we arrived. We had her stripped down because they had to weight and measure her before the doc saw her and said not to dress her back up, as she'll need to be naked for his exam too.

There are 3 docs in this office (it's a large group with 2 other offices but they're further away), so far we saw 2 and I'm not terribly impressed with them. They're not bad but I'm not in love. I think everyone goes to this office because it's the closest one and the docs don't particularly suck. It takes us about 7 minutes to get there door-to-door. The other two practices would be 20-25 minutes away. If the wait time is the same everywhere, I don't want to add extra time for the drive.

Also, how do I scope out other places without sounding like a disgruntled parent or saying anything negative about our current place?

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
              Ours are probably more like 10 minutes for each wait, but yes - I think the waiting is normal.

I agree. Totally normal. Especially for a "good" practice.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

If you're not thrilled, change. We stayed with the same ped b/c we thought the group was pretty good, and it was five minutes from our house (there are, after all, many visits in the first year). Once I changed to the practice that took 20 minutes to get to, I wish I had done so several visits prior. Also, after now being with SEVERAL peds in different cities, I realize that practice patterns vary greatly in peds. Way more than other specialties we've worked with. I guess I knew that as an administrator, but hoped I wouldn't find it as much as a parent. You really have to find someone that you're comfortable with (and that includes the person you're going to talk to on Saturday at midnight because your kid is sick - not just the doc you see for well checks.
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Sounds like normal wait times (sorry!). We have waited longer, I always brought blankets to cover up baby while we waited. The good news is that you know that if something happens and you need your pedi to take more time for you or squeeze you in, she/he will.

Kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I agree with what the others have said. I always try to get the first appointment of the morning (for our office it's 8am) or the very first appointment after lunch. I specifically ask for these slots and if the appointment is in the afternoon I ask if they take a lunch because sometimes they don't. I think an hour to an hour and half for an appointment is typical-- from sign in to check out. Today we only waited 10 minutes in the waiting room. We were there for about 30-45 minutes once we got to the back, but we waited less than 10 minutes for the ped. If you're not pleased with the ped, I'm a big fan of finding one that you do like. I think it's really important to "like" your doctor, especially the ped.

Comment

Oh I was also going to say the having them wait naked is totally normal, so take a blanket. At Adele's recent 2 year appointment they said going forward we won't have to completely undress her but at all other appointments we have.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Waiting is pretty normal for peds from my experience. I think waiting anywhere with small children sucks!!!! When my girls were small I didn't mind waiting for the well visits, because my group was awesome when they were sick. I think how they treat you when there is a problem is much more important than the routine visits.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Hmm, I do not think those are normal wait times. Ten minutes in the waiting area can be expected but you should not wait 20 minutes for the doc and another 15 for a shot. If you are not impressed then try out another office, when your child is sick you will want someone you love and trust not just an office close by (truly, think of who you want taking care of your child when it's serious). Our practice is huge and very busy but I have never waited that long, it is simply unacceptable (unless you love your doc). Also, have baby wear clothes that are easy to take on and off and dress her again once the nurse is done with the weighing etc. If the doctor wants her clothes off for the exam then you can quickly take then off. Also, keep her dressed for shots (just have an outfit that easily leaves a leg exposed) so when she is done you can either nurse her or quickly get the heck out of the office. Good luck!!
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

those would be normal wait times for us... but we have to go to another part of the hospital for a shot now and that takes absolutely forever. I've waited in the check-in line in order to get a shot longer than 20 min.
                            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

We use a big practice of pediatricians. I've never waited in their waiting room more than 5 minutes (even if I"m early). The wait time inside the office varies. Some times its only 5 minutes, some times is 15 minutes. They're very good though about making it quick.

As for the naked screaming baby, I agree, its mean to keep them naked and its usually cold in there. I always bring a nice blanket to hold him in so that he doesn't get too cold. Also, I put the onsie back on and just don't snap it up. Once the dr is done, I put the sweater and socks on (we live in michigan..brrr). That way, the legs are out for shots but we can get the heck out of there quickly once the shots are given.

Good luck!!

Lacy

Comment

Working...
                              X