Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

baby fever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never experienced baby fever, but I feel like I should. DH and I have been married for six years and he's been out in practice for 5 years already, and I know people are wondering why we don't have kids yet. While we both agree we want children, and value the idea of having a family, I don't think about babies much, and we don't talk about it much. When I see a baby on the street I don't really feel anything--I just feel neutral. There are no feeling of longing for a child of my own, and I don't coo over babies.

A big part of it is that I don't feel ready for the responsibility yet, and I'm not sure when I will feel ready. To be perfectly honest with myself, I don't think I could handle motherhood right now. I don't know the first thing about babies or raising kids. I also don't feel like I have things together in terms of balancing school and running a household, and often feel that my housekeeping and homemaking skills are a failure. I look at people who work part-time or full-time out of the home while balancing motherhood, and am in awe. I don't think I am capable of that at this point. I often feel conflicted about the fact that I don't feel ready versus the fact that my biological clock is ticking. Up until recently DH and I had been very transient, lived in the city, etc. which didn't really put me in the frame of mind for motherhood as much as it might have if we had bought a house right after residency and moved right into the suburbs.

Another reason why I think I haven't yet experienced baby fever is because I don't have any friends who have kids, have no siblings, and my parents and in-laws have never once pressured me or inquired "why we don't have kids yet." Because I don't get asked that loaded question often, it kind of takes the pressure off in a way. Also, I'm never around kids since I don't know anyone in the area who has kids. I think things would be different if I was an aunt, and was around little nieces and nephews.

Comment

Dd is almost 11 months old, and I think I could do another one.... I think when the day comes that I actually feel rested, I'll back out of the whole idea of having a second child. It's better to do it while you're still in diaper and bottle-mode maybe.

Also, dd is no longer a baby-baby. She has really terrible breath sometimes, and her hair often smells sweaty and stinky. No longer a little infant...
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Mine are 22 months apart and while the first six months were tough and the last two haven't been super easy I still think its good spacing. We thought they would be a little farther apart but #2 came a lot faster then we expected.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Hey Sunny! your post just reminded me of me before I got pregnant. I really didn't have that much interest in babies at all, needless to say, our little Ayla was a mistaaaa....i mean surprise. However, i ended up loving her more than anything in the world and she is actually much more interesting than I ever thought a baby could be. I would highly recommend one. BUT of course there is nothing wrong with not having babies as far as I'm concerned!
          -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

We have 5, I'm 41 and still have baby fever
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

baby fever?

Sometimes I get the idea of another but I not sure I could handle it. O's high need & I don't fancy another while dh is in training. Sometimes I think I'm loosing mind with one & two might push me over the edge :0. That said, when I see little babies I feel nostalgic and fuzzy.
              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I think that as soon as I can be fairly happy with my body again I will start actually considering another baby. Maybe that will be good motivation to exercise more.
                -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Ahhh, baby fever. We have 5 children, so I'm intimately familiar with this! The best cure for baby fever is having a teen-ager! LOL I think if you are feeling ready then you should consider it. If you have a 14 month old now, he will be nearly 2 if you conceive immediately. That is a good age spread IMO...and take my opinion for what it's worth...just my opinion! LOL

Kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                  X