Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

baby name rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baby name rank

Oh my goodness DD's name is so freakin close to the top 100 in popularity according to the social security peeps. NOOOOOO!!! I looked it up because I was reading about a celebrity with a little niece with the same name. Is your kid's name unpopular or happily high on the list??
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

When we chose DD's name she was no where near popular, her name hasn't hit the top 1000 since the 1930's or something like that. Which would be about right since DH's grandmother that she is named after was born somewhere around then but it has always been popular in the UK. However there is now a popular singer with her name and in 2010 it cracked the list at 908. No ones asks where we got the name anymore I think people just assume she's named after the singer which is to bad.

DS on the other hand runs right around 50 but he's named after my dad and we knew it was popular when we chose it, we have chosen not to shorten it and hope that will help him be a little unique down the road, we'll see.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Our top girls name is not in the top 1,000 but I saw it on a Nameberry list the other day as "increasing in popularity" and sort of freaked out. I'm not really sure where they get this stuff though because it's like if it's not in the top 1,000 how is it climbing fast???
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

One of the things I was pretty adamant about was not choosing a name in the top 20, preferably top 100. Well, we didn't actually choose DD's name and it turns out it hasn't been out of the top 20 since 2003. >.< Funny thing though, everyone always tells us that her name is original and they haven't met a young child by her name in a long time. Perceptions are funny.

On the other hand, DS's name hasn't been in the top 100 since 1996 (but it's creeping upward in popularity over the past couple of years).
        Alison

Comment

Isabel's name (and various versions) skyrocketed after her birth. We have an Isa (pronounced E-sa), Isabella and Isabel in one classroom. If I remember correctly Isabella is in the top 10 girl names and Isabel is in the top 100.

Lucy and Jude are somewhere in the top 500. They're less common, but not unrecognizable.

Julia is a relatively popular, class name. Her name/spelling is the only ones that I can find on preprinted, kiddy merchandise, so I guess we fall on the less common side of baby names.
          -Ladybug

Comment

Dd's is high. It's also #1 in Germany right now. We have a different spelling that makes it unique here, but traditional in Japan.

I do have second thoughts about how we chose to spell dd's name, because I like traditional spellings and she's often called Maya. Bugs the crap out of me, but it's our own fault.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Kai is the only common one.

Daegan is really unique and the only other one I've heard of is my friend's brother.

Phedre is pretty unique, but I was told there was a real housewife with the name.

My niece and nephew are Ziva and Zane...both rather unique as well.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Our boy's name is rising in popularity with each year (currently in the 70's) and girls name is in the 120's. I don't like that our boys name is rising in popularity but we had the HARDEST time coming up with a name that fit our criteria (started with a D, and we both liked it). I love the name so I am just trying not to get to wrapped up in the popularity, plus I will most likely use a nickname.
                Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Alexander is ranked 6, and Evelyn is 39. We have an unusual last name, so we intentionally chose traditional first names.

Laurie
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Noelle is somewhere in the 400s and has been for decades. I'm hoping it stays that way. We wanted something classic, but slightly unique.

On another board there is a mom who named her son Praetorian Stone. Betcha that isn't in the Top 100.
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Nameberry doesn't even register dd's name. Yay for choosing a name that came to me during early pregnancy insomnia.
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Oscar is in the top 150 according to the ss dept. It's height of popularity was in 1900 however its gaining in popularity as older names come back into fashion. I really didn't want a too common name and so far we don't run into that many other Oscar's.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
                        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Honestly, Julia has been in the top 150 for the last 100 years, and under 100 since 1980. Sure, I know a few other Julias, but I've never felt it insufficiently unique.

I'm guessing our kids will have names well within the top 100. We're fairly boring like that.
                          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We chose popular names. DS is Jack. We avoided top 10 names for DD (Evelyn) but didn't care about top 50.

My kids don't need any more reason to be bullied with our last name. Also my name gets butchered all the time and I hate it. We just picked more unusual/creative middle names for our kids!!

I think they'll have to number the Jacks when my DS hits elementary school....

Comment

Evangeline: 333
                              Cordelia: Not in the top 1000
                              Felicity: 763
                              Mark: 161
                              Joseph: 20

Clearly our girls names are less popular than the boys names but we have yet to meet any other children with our kids names.
                              Tara
                              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                              X