Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

baby name rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just mho, but people who have issues with what others name or nickname their children need to get a life. So what if they call her CJ. If the kid doesnt like it at some point she is going to ask everyone to start calling her what she wants to be called. My name doesnt really lead to a nickname so ofcourse as a kid i wanted one horribly. We always want what we cant have right?

As for the random and strange spelling.. To each thier own, but now every time someone tells me their name and i am writing it down or entering it my phone, i never assume. The other day it was a Samantha and i asked. She looked at me so funny and i just said, these days, you never know.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

• This is why I usually sit out when people ask for opinions on names. I have lots of opinions, and I don't think anybody wants to hear them! I will be judgmental about silly things in silence, thanks very much.

I also think it's important to remember how little control of this you ultimately have. My little sister's name is Theresa. About high school she decided she was going to go by Tess. Not at all what my parents wanted, but not something they could really do anything about! Plus I've called her Roo basically her whole life, which I'm pretty sure occurred to exactly nobody when they named her Theresa.

Anyway, I'm going to be horrible when I actually have to name my own kids. So many opinions to come up with only one name! Haha.
      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

• Speaking of people having overly strong opinions about names....

my cousin recently named her son Mason... her mother (and my mother) were devastated.

I was like seriously? They are old school devout Catholics and they associate "masons" with some sect that divided from the Catholic church and essentially associate it with devil worship (okay perhaps I am exaggerating, but they have a really negative association with the masons, when in reality I think they are a charitable group!)
        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

• He he Kelly.

My mom never wanted us to have nicknames and so we didn't really. My dad had one for us, but we never went by them anywhere but at home.

Russ will nickname ANYONE. So I got pretty used to calling the kids by nicknames.

Daegan's nickname is Duce (doochay)...yeah, il Duce...and most people mistake it for D.J. and then want to know what his middle name is.

Poor Kai just gets Kai-Kai.

Phedre's nickname is Pessa or Principessa and Phe (Fay).
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

• Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
            Just mho, but people who have issues with what others name or nickname their children need to get a life. So what if they call her CJ. If the kid doesnt like it at some point she is going to ask everyone to start calling her what she wants to be called. My name doesnt really lead to a nickname so ofcourse as a kid i wanted one horribly. We always want what we cant have right?
            My thoughts exactly! It's like "why do you care what my friend calls her kid?" - and yes, the people who tell me these things are meddlesome and need to get a life. And she might grow up to love or hate the nickname her family uses, or choose another nickname altogether for her school friends to use.
            Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

• On the flip side, why do you care that they care? We all care strongly about something or another at some point. Even when we don't care about it strongly, we may come across more forceful in expressing our opinion when compared to others.

I'm with Kelly. We're such a fun group. It never gets boring around here.
              Cristina
              IM PGY-2

Comment

• Originally posted by MissCrabette View Post
                On the flip side, why do you care that they care? We all care strongly about something or another at some point. Even when we don't care about it strongly, we may come across more forceful in expressing our opinion when compared to others.

I'm with Kelly. We're such a fun group. It never gets boring around here.
                I thought perhaps I was missing something about the etiquette of nicknaming kids. But based upon the nicknames here, my friend's little one fits right in. Plus there is a subliminal issue attached to it (which could take up a whole other thread) but the short version is that the put-downs come from my mom, and after our wedding, my friend (MOH) and my mom dislike each other. Sometimes I can't tell if I've either got a knowledge deficit on the subject I'm discussing with mom or if it's not "clicking" right away that her answers are passive-aggressive and close-minded. It usually winds up being the latter.

With all of the Josephs in my family, the youngest one (my uncle) wound up becoming Butch, a nickname he only uses around family. I have no idea what the origin of that nickname is, but it was awkward the first time I mentioned him/asked for him at the company he works for. Talk about being tongue tied because I only knew him as one thing and my brain couldn't comprehend calling him the other!
                Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

• T&S: whoulda thought you'd have to develop a thick skin even before the baby is born! People will criticize everything and you can either let it get to you to the point that you second-guess yourselves or let criticism slide. Don't let anyone sway you to or from a name. What is anyone else's stake in a name that someone chooses anyway? I'm sure most of you dislike the name I've selected for my baby, and aside from a few, I wouldnt name my kid what many others here have chosen for theirs!

If it's any consolation, we didn't find out M's gender until she was born and didn't have a boy's name until the eleventh hour. I'm not even sure it'd be a front runner for our next baby. Tastes, likes, and dislikes change!
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

• Originally posted by Rapunzel
                    T&S definitely name your baby whatever you want! As long as your not naming a little girl "Vagina" (such a pretty name ) or calling your little boy "Dick" I'm not going to say anything!
                    Calling our little boy Dick when Dad wants to be a Urologist is cruel and unusual punishment.
                    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                      Calling our little boy Dick when Dad wants to be a Urologist is cruel and unusual punishment.
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                        I have no idea if "Ava-Marie." I think "Ava" is popular, but we call her "Marie" or "Marie Eleanor," anyway.

I recently read that "Matilda" made a list of names NOT to name your girl (too "fuddy duddy"). Who makes such a bitchy list?

"Samuel" is very common, I'd imagine.
                        Our sweet little one is Ava-Marie Kay. Goes by Ava-Marie

Comment

• I never thought about this until I met a friend who is OBSESSED with baby names. She literally gets excited when the new list comes out. I feel sorry for her because she's having a baby Monday and they still haven't settled on names. I honestly don't think her DH realizes how much she thinks about people's names, or he would just let her name the kids. We have

Samantha (8 the year she was born - 15 now)
                          Alexander (11 the year of birth - 6 now)
                          Josephine (201 the year of birth)

These were pretty much the only names DH and I could agree on. I love names that have nicknames that go with either gender (can you tell?). DH now claims he loves this too, kind of as if it was his idea, but his list of names while we were expecting was crazy and he has always wanted a child named "Tyberius" with the nickname "Bear" - not Ty. Weirdo!
                          -Deb
                          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

• Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                            he has always wanted a child named "Tyberius" with the nickname "Bear" - not Ty. Weirdo!
                            I'm a wierdo too in that if we were going with the names Patrick or Derrick I would call the boy "Rick.". Right now our boy name is Dominic and if Nicolas weren't in the top 20 I'd call him "Nick" instead I'm leaning toward "Mick" but I realize thats even more odd! But it seems like kids get their own unintended nicknames after birth anyways so who knows.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

• But Rick is a name. To me planning a nickname like "Bear" is like planning to nickname your kid "Dog."
                              -Deb
                              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

• Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                                But Rick is a name. To me planning a nickname like "Bear" is like planning to nickname your kid "Dog."
                                Hahaha!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X