Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I really stepped in it today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really stepped in it today

I was at soccer for Aidan and the sahd next to me started up a conversation. He pretty much told me the story of his life. Part of that story was that there is a 10 year age difference between all siblings in his family, with a 16 year age difference between him and his youngest sibling....

Later he shared with me that he had a 10 year old and a 21 year old.

I said something along the lines of "oh, just like your family growing up. Did you do that consciously?" He paused and it got really awkward. Then he said "No, my wife had multiple miscarriages. We wanted our kids close together."

Ugh.

I apologized profusely. I actually got tears in my eyes because I felt so awful for what I said.

Thankfully, he took it well. He understood how I drew the connection and didn't fell bothered by it in the least.

Still ... I just felt so bad. I really was just thinking about what he told me about his siblings.....

ugh.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Don't feel bad Kris. I'm sure he didn't take it personally and I'm sure folks point out the age difference all the time. People mention the span between 4 and 5 to us all the time and I just say, "you don't always get the babies to come along when you want them" with a smile.

No harm no foul.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I think he probably rolled with it. Really. It wasn't intentional at all and you made amends. You're human too.

I once teased my favorite HS teacher that his kids were so gorgeous, they looked nothing like him. He replied that he and his wife had just adopted them from an orphanage in Romania. I felt awful but he was very matter of fact. Honestly they did look biologically related: this blonde haired, blue eyed family. Then I think I felt bad because I felt bad. Adoption isn't a hush hush thing. That's right. I felt guilty over my guilt. Analyze that.
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I agree; don't be too hard on yourself. He wasn't trying to avoid telling you or change the subject. While it will always be a painful part of his life, it sounds like he is at peace with it enough to casually tell an acquaintance.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
        X