Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Inappropriate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inappropriate?

SIL, BIL, and nieces (10 and 7) stayed with us for a night last weekend. In the guest room, I have a shelf with assorted knitting supplies (yarn, blocking mats) and other crafts (crayons, scrapbook paper, photo albums). The girls spent time in there off and on, occasionally unsupervised, supposedly playing with the cat, who stayed in its crate. I went in there after they left, and they had pulled all of my blocking mats off of the top shelf, and they were on the floor. They also pulled out my crayons and colored on some of the scrapbook paper. Some of the yarn looks a little unwound, but I admit I haven't been there in a while and don't 100% know what condition it was in beforehand. None of it is really valuable, I was just surprised they would play with anything without asking (other than the obvious toys in the living room and E's room). Is that weird of me to assume? I didn't mention it to SIL, so I don't really know if they did it while she was in there or not. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, since SIL has a habit of not disciplining her kids, just yelling at and medicating them.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Meh, I wouldn't be surprised that kids would color with crayons without asking first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised either. Next time, explicitly tell them what they can and can't play with. .
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I would talk to them directly next time they are playing about it. Remind them to ask for permission before playing with anything. It's a learning lesson.
        -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
          Meh, I wouldn't be surprised that kids would color with crayons without asking first.
          Me either. I probably wouldn't think of crayons and crafts items as "off limits" as a kid unless expressly told. If you're not comfortable with them playing with your crafts stuff I'd just tell them next time they come, like Alison said. If SIL is routinely disengaged she probably won't set the limits for them so I'd just be firm that it's your house, your rules.
          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by niener View Post
            Me either. I probably wouldn't think of crayons and crafts items as "off limits" as a kid unless expressly told. If you're not comfortable with them playing with your crafts stuff I'd just tell them next time they come, like Alison said. If SIL is routinely disengaged she probably won't set the limits for them so I'd just be firm that it's your house, your rules.
            This was my thought too.
            I would buy them their own coloring book and crayons for when they visit
            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

My kids (5 and 7) would have asked, at least to make sure they were coloring on paper that was okay. At ten I would really hope they'd be even more respectful of stuff! But in many families I could totally see that being a "ask forgiveness rather than permission" expectation. Like if you left it in the room, of course it's not super valuable? So I agree, it's a learning experience for you for next time!
              Alison

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I guess because when I was that age, I never would have just assumed I could play with whatever I found, especially if it was put away on a shelf, it didn't dawn on me that they would have gone through the stuff for themselves. I didn't care that they did it, I was just really surprised by it. I don't scrapbook anymore, I just have the paper still. I honestly don't think they'll be at the house anytime in the foreseeable future, since they're moving to Washington and we hadn't seen them in several years before this visit, so it's not likely to be an issue again.
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Kids these days...
                  I know my dd would ask, and yours will too, when she's older the occasion arises.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

So, things just got more interesting. I didn't say anything to SIL, just let it go. She texted me this today. Apparently the 10yo decided to take some souvenirs.

Comment

Holy frick. Well, I hope kiddo gets the pleasure of doing extra chores to cover the postage, I'm thinking Medium Flat Rate box at least?!
                      Alison

Comment

Holy cow. What did SIL say? Did she make the kids apologize?
                        Kris

Comment

Wow!!! At least SIL knows now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Whaaaaaa?!?! Ok that's nuts. I too am curious what SIL said/made the girls say (hopefully she at least made her apologize...)
                            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

SIL said she was in for it, she apologized on her behalf, and said she'd mail it out. I didn't ask for more details, so we'll see. If it was my kid, she'd be doing chores for the cost of postage, and she'd be writing an apology letter on top of whatever punishment we felt was appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                              X