Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

School Fundraisers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I refuse to participate in fundraisers for daycare. I already pay SO MUCH money in tuition. Our daycare is part of a K-4 charter school, and I totally understand that the charter school needs to fundraise, but DO NOT expect my BABY to sell things.

Sorry, that was heavy on the all caps. But the school administration has heard from me about this. Pet peeve.
    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Our daycare (one of the more expensive ones in the area) loves fundraisers too. I try to opt out as much as possible. The only one I like is the Kids Stuff coupon books.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Scrub-jay - THANK YOU! DD is so upset because we currently have a wrapping paper/cookie dough drive. There is NO allergy information on the order form. Of course a kid with nut allergies can't eat processed cookie dough. It will kill her, but she really wants us to buy some. My kids want prizes so they want to sell, but they can't really go door to door because all of our neighbors are selling the same crap. I wish PTO would eliminate the prizes and just ask for a donation (our spring fundraiser is not selling and it's so great!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I hate selling fundraisers as well. Hate them.

My favorite fundraiser? We have a bike rodeo every year with a silent auction. All of the stuff is donated and 100% goes to the PTO.

The best part is that one year someone took an old single speed bike, glued macaroni all over it, then spray painted the whole thing gold. It went for more than $100 in the auction. Usually it is donated back to the auction for the following year. I can't wait until I can justify getting it for a year.
          Kris

Comment

Our preschool does too many fundraisers, too. They justify it by saying it keeps tuition down, but I'd rather they just raise tuition. Parents already provide supplies like paper towels and soap for classrooms. We also have a big Mardi Gras fundraiser in February that takes a lot of work from the parents who participate, but they cheap out on it and only old people from the church, not even most parents, come. Bidding for the auction items and silent auction items is dismal.

When I was in school, candy bars were one of the best fundraisers. We kept 50% of the sales price. Donations are much better for schools! If they get parents involved, there are some great options out there. Banks will often just give monetary donations if you ask. Kohls has a good volunteer program that, I think, comes with a donation.
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
            X