Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How have your attitudes about parenting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How have your attitudes about parenting...

Changed...since you became a parent?

Kelly and I were talking about this Saturday when we got together at Burger King so our little guys could run around and play.

In my before children days (Kris' life b.c.) I thought spanking of any kind was a form of child abuse, thought my children would eat only organically grown foods that I personally prepared, would wear cloth diapers only, would watch no tv.....I looked down on any mom whose child was acting up in the grocery store with that "get control" kind of an attitude (MAN, payback for THAT hurts!). In general, I had no freaking idea!

With baby #1, I was very, very protective. I didn't let Andrew cry for even a second. Even if we were on the road driving and he started crying, I pulled off and nursed him. If he got a little cold, I ran right to our pediatrician. I refused to allow him to have anything besides breast milk for 6 months and nearly had a coronary when my mil bought a secret stash of baby applesauce, etc and fed him when he was 5 months old. He also didn't have any kind of sweet thing until he was about 4 years old...really. I also sterilized everything that he might put in his mouth in our avent microwave sterilizer. I scoffed at any mom who would allow her child to consume tv like Power Rangers. My mom tells me that she couldn't even hold him without me making some sort of comment to 'be careful' etc. I also was the raving dr. laura mom (why have children if you are going to work )

I was also very sensitive to any criticisms (or perceived criticisms about my parenting). If someone looked at me and I thought they were implying bad parenting on my part, I was devastated. If the old lady down the street told me my child needed a cap on his head in the middle of summer when he was sitting in the buggy under the umbrella I chastised myself for days about being a 'bad' mom.

Fast forward to baby #4. There has been a progressive decline in my parenting attitudes.

Here is the honest truth:

If I'm driving in the car and Aidan is crying, I keep driving. I'm not afraid to put him in his swing and let him cry a little when it is naptime or I need a break. None of my kids go to the pediatrician anymore unless a limb is falling off or something dramatic. I got tired long ago of paying $20 to be told it was a 'virus'.

Alex owns 3 Power Rangers videos.

Though I am still nursing him, the child ate chocolate with his siblings on Halloween. Yes, shall I call the dept. of children and family services or would you like to.

I am not afraid to leave all 4 kids with my husband even if I know that means that Aidan might cry when I am gone. Thomas doesn't even call me anymore because he tried calling me to tell me to 'come home, the baby is crying' and I just would say "I'm sure you will handle it fine". That is so NOT me.....

I work two mornings a week with NO guilt...zero, zilch, nada.....I enjoy the 3 hours to the hilt and then come and pick him up feeling refreshed and happy to have spent some alone time. (The ultimate in selfishnes? oh well!)

The thing that has changed the most for me is my response to the criticism of others. For the most part, I just seem to not care anymore. I recongize that people have their own ideas about parenting and I honestly feel that we would never lobby the same types of criticisms at other people. Can you imagine telling your neighbor how to drive his car or mow his lawn? "Hey, buddy, go pull those dandelions"! I pretty much just smile and nod and move on. I have heard every opinion possible in regards to how I should feed, clothe and talk to my children.

I'm so tired of how judgemental people are.

When Kelly and I were getting together our kids were all pretty loud. They were enjoying the rare opportunity to play together...we don't meet that often. Kelly and I were not watching our children as closely perhaps as we would have if we had been alone in the play area with them because we, too, were cherishing one of those rare opportunities to communicate without a keyboard or a phone line.

One of the women in the play area commented that she "couldn't eat" in there and got up and walked out while giving me a dirty look. It bothered me at first and then I found myself thinking "what the hell is wrong with people?". If the noise in a children's play area bothers her, then she should leave. I've definitely changed.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I loved reading your post, Kris! What the hell IS the matter with people? :argue: You were, after all, in the play area!

When I was pregnant, I knew I would be returning to work, but clearly, I had a very unrealistic picture about what being a working mom would entail. First, I told myself my baby would never share my bed, no matter how exhausted I was breastfeeding or going back to work full time. I promised myself that the house would be "babyproofed" and clean (but not spotless) the majority of the time. I also promised myself to keep sweets from Keelin for at least the first year of her life. I had the nerve to criticize my sister (not to her face, however!) for giving her kids frozen dinners when she came home from work.

Well, nobody could have prepared me for my hellish labor and delivery. Let's emphasize the word LABOR! The going in on a Friday, not having baby till Sunday night via c-section was definitely not what I envisioned. So out the window went the no co-sleep rule. Please, I could BARELY WALK! Keelin was a co-sleeper until about 3 months ago.

My first day back to work after my maternity leave had me in tears for most of the day...and I came home to a messy house with boxes still unpacked from moving. I'm not ashamed to report that many of these boxes remain, more than one year later. And I have BARELY babyproofed anything. I suppose I get away with this because I only have one child to keep safe. As far as the clean house goes? HA! It's a good thing nobody's turned me into DFS, and I'm only half kidding. One person can only do so much cleaning (I'm trying hard for this not to turn into a rant against DH!) Oh...and Keelin had half a chocolate chip cookie last night after eating a Kids Cuisine frozen dinner Need I say more?

Comment

Oh gosh, where should I start!
      I really thought my parents did a shoddier job at parenting until I became a parent myself. I find myself doing the very things that I thought were so apalling back then.
      I judge a lot less when I see a mom in public with out of control kids. I've been that mom plenty of times. If I see a mom "losing it" instead of judging her for not having enough patience, I imagine she's probably had a day full of spilled milks, tantrums, whining, explosive diapers, etc.
      I'm more accepting of whatever choice a mom makes regarding work. I used to judge moms who worked even if they didn't have to, and I realize now that we are all coming from someplace different and I have no right to judge.
      I no longer care (to an extent) what my kids wear in public. Who says you can't wear a green and red dress with a purple striped shirt underneath, pink tights, and winnie the pooh hiking boots? (That was Sydney's outfit yesterday).
      I'm sure there's more...
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I'll let you know soon enough. But I can tell you that my friend and my SIL are rubbing their hands together in anticipation of my husband the pediatrician having one at home 24/7. Yes indeedy, the gleam in their respective eyes make me shudder.

Hopefully by the end of January I'll be able to let you all know how 38 years of "I'll never _____" have turned out with one small formerly institutionalized Russian.

Jenn

Comment

Jenn,

I look forward to your upcoming dose of humility! 8) 8) 8)

In some way, I'm actually a better parent because I'm learning on the job than the "parent" that I thought that I would be before I had kids.

I definitely let the little stuff slide. On the other hand, because I more than I ever thought possible, I analyze decisions and developmental milestones far more passionately than I would have ever guessed because I love them so much. (Obviously, I believed that I would love my children, I just couldn't comprehend how this would play out when my life was all about me.)

Save a few areas of vulnerability, I'm getting to the point where I could give a ratt's butt about peoples' perception. There are hundreds of ways to raise great kids.

Everything in my life has higher stakes: my economic viability, my marriage, housing choices, education, etc. It is not just a bohemian, fly-by-the-seat of our pants existence. I think about my leadership responsibility to my children, and as such, I am more prone to eat healthy, work out, attend worship services, and the like.

On the other hand, has my kid gone to bed dirty without his teeth brushed? Have I spanked, even though in theory I'm morally opposed to this method of discipline? Have I let my kid eat too much candy and watch too much t.v.? Have I been one of those freaky "meltdown mommies" that others stare at in public? Have I even had an occasional fight with DH in the presence of tiny ears? Let me be the first to affirm guilt on all of these things.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

No kids yet, but one on the way! My 7 yo nephew and 5 yo niece are visiting this week....is it too late to turn back? I'm only kidding! Of course, the whole time they've been here, I've been saying to DH, "Our children will never ___________." I'm sure I won't be saying the same things next year!

Comment

I am the perfect parent. I judge other moms and dads for their parenting practices because I know exactly how they should raise their children. My kids never act up, whine, hit or throw temper tantrums in public. I don't spank. I don't take my kid to the grocery store after 7:30pm. My children don't eat junk food or fast food. Their TV viewing is minimal. They are dressed and do no mess up their clothes. I nursed for over a year and I call my ped regularly when problems arise. I clean everyday so my children are not playing on dirty floors.

Will the real mom please stand up! I have changed my ways and relaxed my standards, especially from having 1 child to two children. For starters, my 3 yo can't stand me half the time. What child doesn't want their mother? What does that say about my parenting. Tonight when DH and my 3 yo were telling stories, Avery made DH a princess and said momma was a dragon! Loser mom! I no longer judge parents because I have probably gone back on my word on at least 50% of the stuff that "I would never do" as a parent. I have even ventured to leave my kids with my in-laws for a night (DH was there too) eventhough I vowed I never would. I won't do it again, but there was always a first. Now I do what I can go get through the day sometimes like feeding fast food, using TV as a babysitter and letting my little one cry sometimes. I have had many people say to me in passing at Target that I have my hands full with a little one and a preschooler who tries to rule the roost.

I have screamed at my 3 yo although I regret it later. I have more guilt than I ever thought I would as a parent because I have lowered my standards. Parenting is also more difficult than I ever thought it would be. My child looks unkept because she often wears the same clothes for days, won't let me brush her hair and hates wearing socks. Most of the time her shoes are on the wrong feet and her pants are on backwards. I don't care if she doesn't. Not exactly what I pictured my beautiful little daughter to look like!

Jennifer
              Needs

Comment

Wow. I've got no illusions nor aspirations to perfection, and thank goodness, eh? I fully intend to learn from my kids and to hell with nosy strangers. I can only hope that my character strength of patience and my passing interest in operant conditioning will serve me well.

When we babysit our nephew (now 6), we don't say "our kid will never" but something more like "his mom lets him have more sugar-snacks and TV time than we think prudent, but what the hell, as long as there's love."
                Alison

Comment

Alison-

We all do much the same about my horribly behaved 11 year old cousin. (he's been a nightmare practically since birth) When my mom gets all pissy I just remind her that he'll end up a grown up despite his parents! The only time it's really a problem is when he refuses to follow the rules of my mother's house. (and then his mother makes excuses for him) Liekthe time we ALL told him to not take the OJ from the kitchen to the family room and he did and no more than 30 seconds later there was 8 ounces of OJ on mom's pale grey rug. She made him help clean it up, too!

Now, they only have him without his parents- whenever possible. They'll take him for a week every summer (it's like a Fresh Air Fund thing- get the kid out of Manhattan!) and he's fine. His parents are better without him and he's WAY better without them.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by jloreine
                    His parents are better without him and he's WAY better without them.

Kids always behave better for others! My daughter's desk at school is one of the cleanest in the classroom and she is "so sweet and mild mannered" (quote from her teacher). When he told me this at conferences, I literally said "Are we both talking about Amanda MATH"? He seemed startled and confused by my reaction.

That's because at home her room is a pigsty that I make her clean daily and she is the sassiest 8 year old on the face of this planet (I'm convinced of it!).

Re: oj on the carpet. We forbid our children from eating/drinking anywhere that is not the kitchen. Yesterday I found two juice boxes and some cheese wrappers in the playroom. (It isn't the first time that I've gone on a rampage about finding this 'contraband' outside of it's legally allowed area!). I can guarantee you that they wouldn't do that at anyone else's house! :|

~sigh....I sure hope they grow up in spite of me! Their therapy bills will be huge!

kris
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Isn't that the truth! Sydney's teachers are always telling me how wonderful she is, and while I'm pleased as punch, I'm a little puzzled. I actually got to see it first hand when she had her speech eval--they said she was the most compliant child they ever tested. This is our middle child who is a sweetheart but she is also very mischevious for us.
                      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

To tell the truth I NEVER imagined myself with children. I never thought about parenting before I got pregnant with my first child. I didn't have any experience, either. I was the kind of teenager that only babysat if I absolutely needed the money because I couldn't get it from another route.

My first three children were health-crisis after health-crisis so I didn't really focus too much on my parenting skills. If I could get them to the doctor's appt/MRI/surgery and everyone was fed, bathed, and wearing clean clothes (well, semi-clean ) then I felt proud of myself!
                        It's only been in the last three years that I've started really thinking about parenting as a "Topic". Before that, I always went with what came naturally I guess.

I think that this all probably means my attitudes toward parenting have really, really changed ------> from going to not ever thinking about children (mine or anyone else's) to just trying to survive to now feeling a profound responsibility towards the little people in my care.

Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                        With fingernails that shine like justice
                        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Before children I had zero children and a million thoughts and opinions. Now I have two children and zero thoughts and opinions!!!! My kids are great and have turned out quite well in spite of us.
                          Luanne
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                          X