Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bad, bad mommy :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad, bad mommy :(

So, my 5 year old and I went to battle this morning, and I lost. Big time. How is it that I let myself be manipulated by a 5 year old? How is that even possible??

My daughter has discovered that she can get me to do anything if she uses the "bad mommy" angle. She's sneaky about it, too. Today, she asked me (politely) to help her with a project she was doing while I was dilegently working at the computer. I helped, but then told her I had to get back to work. She was good for a while, but then quietly said "I don't like it when you ignore me." Ouch. Then, she asked me to go out in the garden with her to work out our garden plan. I said ok and we got dressed appropriately. Once outside, she asked if we could talk while we were on the swings. So we did. It was fun. Then I went over and started raking. She asked if we could do a project together. I told her she could join me raking. She declined-no surprise. Then I said we could weed this section of garden. No takers. Then, I teased her that she only wanted to do a project that SHE picked. She retaliated with "Why are you always so mad?" I told her I wasn't mad, but I wanted to get some work done. She continued "You're mean. Daddy plays with us." I explained that Daddy works all day and plays with them on the weekends and before bed.....but I'm home all day and can't play ALL the time. I like to do other things and have my own projects. She went at me again "You're always mad at me. I don't like you." I TRIED to walk away.....I told her that she had hurt my feelings and that I was going inside. She followed me and I....burst into tears. I ended up telling my FIVE year old that I need to do my own things and that I don't like feeling like a bad mommy when "mommyhood" is my top priority these days. Further, I told her that it was hard for me to give up every other project in my life and then get yelled at for doing a bad job. I also told her that maybe I should get someone else to come do this, because I'm so bad at it.

So, we ended up talking it out. I tried to get to the bottom of her issues with my "anger". Honestly, I think she thinks I'm mad whenever I tell her no or "I'm busy". So I guess I'm mad many times a day! I apologized for my outburst and told her that she and her brother are my top priority and I wouldn't give them up for the world. She seems fine with it - it helps that she has a NASTY temper herself. Still, I'm wondering how much therapy she's going to need...and how much I need. So, was this just a bad day or did I blow it big time? I've got to be more tuned in to this "bad mommy" angle of hers - seriously, she's working it. And it works......
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

I hear ya! She sounds like a smart one! One of my girls likes to make me feel guilty by telling me she doesn't love me anymore, or telling me she loves daddy better, so I totally know where you're coming from. It's hard not to take it personally, but I do think that for them, it is more about maniuplation in order to get their way then how they truly feel. I've got lots of guilt left over from the type of mother I've been over the last 6 months or so (losing my temper way too often--though I've gotten better I still have my moments) so sometimes I try too hard to keep them happy, and I think they totally take advantage of that. I don't think you blew it at all by the way, you stuck to your guns and didn't let her guilt you into doing every single activity that she wanted you to do. When you are home with them during the day, they have to accept that you won't be their playmate all day--not only do you have housework to do, but you also should get to spend time doing something for yourself like reading without having to feel guilty. Also, it sounds like you had a good talk with her afterwards and maybe she just needed to hear that just because you don't want to join her in an activity doesn't mean that you are mad at her.
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I could have posted this, almost exactly a week ago or so.

Our 5yo is terribly headstrong(DW trait, I swear!) and getting to be quite the manipulator. We pulled him out of his pre-school due to several issues along with having to take a look at some of the issues you brought up. Why is he always "in trouble/getting yelled at" and so on. He has made several comments that lead us to think that he is dealing with depression....at 5yo!! I have been beating myself up about his feelings. But I must say that, as hard as it is for me to deal, pulling him out of school was the best thing that we have done for him.

I truly feel for you, hang in there, I am sure it will get better.....and sometimes worse!

Comment

I've been wanting to respond to this....but a certain someone keeps interfering!
        If it makes you feel any better, I've been having some of the same with my 4 1/2 (the 1/2 is very important around here) daughter.
        It makes it tough when she throws back at me things I have said to her.

Yesterday I was feeling sick and the baby is sick and she desperately wanted to ride her bike. I just didn't feel up to going out. She told me: But I really need some exercise! hmmm....wonder who has told her that before in a bid to get out.

Anyway, I think that it is good for kids to learn that their non-urgent needs don't always take top priority and that moms and dads spend part of their day keeping up the house, grocery shopping, whatever that doesn't always qualify as fun. But what do I know? I was recently told that I'm "not nice to kids."

Comment

Hang on to your hats. They are just getting primed for the teenage years (age 14 really sucks big time). This is all normal, and girls & Moms seem to be worse than boys & Moms. All I can say is this too shall pass. There is always another stage around the corner.
          Luanne
          Sorry if I sound like a downer here. My girls are past all of that and now we have a nice time together.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Here's the thing. Since I lost it yesterday, she's been really, really good. And happy. Wierd, huh? Because our argument totally freaked me out; I hate yelling at my kids - particularly when I'm upset about nebulous things like a general sense of entitlement, laziness, etc. I like to have specific complaints. Luckily, my daughter seems to be completely unfazed by our disagreement. She has her father's high passion Italian family temperment; my son and I are the WASPs. Hmmmm. Maybe she won't need the college money for therapy after all. Of course, we still have the teen years. (Thanks for the encouragement, Luanne . )

Thanks everybody for making me feel better. I was pretty upset yesterday that I let her get to me. Of course, maybe that's why she's happy . Mothers and daughters. (Or is it just parent and child?) Bleh. So complicated.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

First, let me say in Response to Luanne (lalalalallala, I'm not listening!) I soooo can't hear that.

Angie,

I have been through some very similar things with Amanda. She has also gotten good and manipulating the situation between Thomas and I to get teh answer that she wants, etc. She plays up differences in our parenting styles and uses them sometimes to try and get what she wants. "Poppy would let me do x,y,z" or "Why do you have to be so rude" (when I set a boundary)...

Something that seems to happen with Amanda and I is that she sometimes will push buttons just to...get me to lose it. This is very puzzling to me. I'll handle a situation in my 'good mommy' way...trying to intervene calmly, looking into her eyes, talking to her etc...and she will escalate the situation until I just LOSE IT. She will, for example, antagonize Alex unrelentingly. I can try redirecting her or talking nicely with her about it...nothing. Eventually I end up yelling at her and then she does the "why do you always have to yell, you're so mean" routine.

Just sign me up for mommy of the year!
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Everybody back up here...give me some room...I'm about to have my Dr. Phil moment.

Since DD's arrival and my subsequent maternity leave and ultra part-time schedule, I have come to realize that a significant portion of my parenting was/is based on GUILT. I was an insecure first- time parent who never got over the fact that I worked. full time. Looking back now, I think, what a waste. What did all that contemplation, worry, and guilt do for anyone? What good was that?

In truth, my son had/has it really good. My obsessive guilt was about MY needs, not his. In a way, it was kind of narcissitic and selfish of me. I worked. I made some mistakes along the way. BFD.

Seriously, this "no more guilt" parenting has allowed me to be a better parent. Now I am able to dispense punishment and praise without pride or prejudice. When he pulls one of those "you hate me" or "you're a terrible mom" moments, I calmly respond,"Yes, that may be the case, but I still love you. You will not talk to me that way and you will finish your dinner or there will be consequences" .
                There is a new sheriff in town, baby and she ain't fallin' for that tired line anymore.

Anyway, now that I've totally hijacked to make it all about me, glorious me, let me offer my whip for your personal use, my friend. It is so liberating.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by kmbsjbcgb

There is a new sheriff in town, baby and she ain't fallin' for that tired line anymore.

Note to self: Don't mess with Kelly

Comment

Working...
                  X