Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Whining?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining?!

Whining, whining, and more whining. It is so bad right now that I will ask something like, “Would you like some milk?” and have ds whine “But I DO want milk.” I am doing double takes, banging my head on the wall here. Help/suggestions? Dh and I don’t whine btw. He does have one whiny friend, but it seems to be originating from him. What to do???!!

:thud:

I'm not sure how old your son is but at school we tell the 3-5 yr olds that we can't help them until they ask/tell us in their big 3-5yr old voices. It usually makes them stop and think about the tone of voice they are using.

Comment

What Amy said.
      I feel for you--my oldest went through a whining phase and it lasted a looooong time and nearly drove me over the edge.
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Who says you aren't supposed to use napping as a threat? Send 'em my way.

btw, the "Please ask again with a 3 yo voice" works pretty well. And if that doesn't work, you could ignore him and then say "I think I hear talking but am not sure because I only understand regular voices." Sounds mean, but it works. Whining drives me up a wall and leaves me clinging to light fixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by SueC
          What Amy said.
          I feel for you--my oldest went through a whining phase and it lasted a looooong time and nearly drove me over the edge.
          And what Sue politely didn't say is that Jenn has a son who is stuck in the whining phase and won't leave it.

No advice here, just commiseration.

Comment

Thanks for the tips (and commissreation ). I am trying the big boy tactic of telling him that big boys don't whine, they talk. I WISH I could threaten with napping, but he doesn't nap anymore, although he certainly could use it. The lack of naptime might even be a big part of the problem. His poor brain just seems like it can't work well afetr 4 pm. We'll see how it goes. The whining just grates my nerves like nothing else. I did a 'bad mommy' a few days ago and actually yelled at him in the car when I had passed my limit of whining tolerabce. He was so shocked. My other ds, the sensitive one, started to cry.

Comment

Originally posted by jfinma
              actually yelled at him in the car when I had passed my limit of whining tolerabce. He was so shocked. My other ds, the sensitive one, started to cry.
              If that's a bad mommy, then I'm mommie dearest.

Comment

Um...no, there's yelling, then there's 'freaked out exorcist head spinning yelling.' THAT's a 'bad mommy.'

Comment

Working...
                X