Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

public vs. private ( 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

•  public vs. private ( 1

Here is my dilemma:

My son will be in second grade next year. He is classified as a gifted/talented student, but there is not much in the way of programming for him in the public schools here -- they eliminated the G/T coordinator in a cost-cutting measure a few years ago. An example of what he does as a gifted student: when the class is assigned a book report, the G/T students have to make a prop to go along with their report. I am underwhelmed by this. Luke is reading at least at a fourth grade level (he reads the Ramona books -- do you all remember those? -- and the newspaper in the mornings before school) but his classroom teacher does nothing for him in the way of challenging him. He still brings home the same readers as everyone else in the class. His teacher this year is known for being extremely strict with boys. He got a mark on his conduct sheet the other day for "falling out of his seat". Whatever. They are given a grade for conduct and he got an F last grading period, with an A in every other subject.

All of the gifted kids are put into the same classroom -- besides Luke, there are two little girls who are also identified as gifted. The second grade teacher that gets these kids is supposed to be phenomenal and is the gifted resource person for the building. I think Luke will probably enjoy her class more than he has enjoyed first grade. He hasn't hated it, but as much as he loves to learn, I would expect that he would love school -- so far, that isn't the case.

My other concern is this: We live in an older neighborhood where the houses are about 50 years old. It is mixed, with bigger and smaller houses. We live in one of the bigger houses. I was happy that Luke was going to a school where the population was heterogenous -- however, we went to a first grade program last night, and as we looked around, we could see that Luke (and our family) is clearly a minority in a lot of ways. Our values are very different than most of the parents at the school. Luke has not made close friends there, and I think a lot of it has to do with those differences (language the kids use, or attitudes they have, which Luke picks up on) as well as with difficulties he has always had because of being smart.

I hate the way the last paragraph sounds! My husband and I are discouraged because we feel like we are snobs, but the truth is, Luke does not have any true peers at school.

SO, we are planning to observe the teacher he is supposed to have next year, and then we're going to visit The Episcopal School (really the only private school in town) and see what we think.

We are just so torn about this -- we want him to have good friends whose parents have similar values to ours, and so far, he hasn't found that at his public school, although he isn't really complaining because he doesn't know the difference.

So tell me -- are we snobs? We aren't rolling in money, but the way the military works, we get some bonus money that is a lump sum, and we could pay for private school out of that -- we would just pay off our debt a little slower.

Your thoughts?

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

I don't think you're snobs in the least - you are just very concerned about the welfare of your child. I am heavily leaning towards "officially" home-schooling my son now that he will be old enough for public school this fall. I don't view at as snobbery - just having the freedom to choose what environment our children are in for 30+ hours every week as well as choosing an educational program that will actually TEACH our children. So, if you guys decide that the private school is much more to your liking and you can afford it - go for it and forget any guilt! If the private school is about as bad as the public school I encourage you to explore homeschooling as well. Good luck!!!

Jennifer

Comment

Sally-

Knowing where you guys are and hearing the horror stories about special ed- I can imagine that the G/T programs are as bad or worse.

What does your son want? Does he like the challenge of learning? Does the private school have the resources for a good G/T program? My personal opinion is send him if he's bored because you don't want him to learn to resent school because he's bored, nor to learn that school is really 'easy'. (you know what I mean?)

I don't think it's a reflection so much of your values, but of the lack of educational opportunities of that part of Texas. People don't think that education will get them any where because for them, it hasn't- and theses values are passed on to their kids. You don't sound like a snob- you want your child to have friends that are energized to learn, that understand that graduating from high school is not necessarily the end of the road educationally, and that you can't ever be too smart!

Jenn

Comment

Sally,

I don't think that this is about being "snobby". If a child had a different kind of a special need..ie was physically or mentally handicapped, you would be looked upon as odd if you didn't push to have their needs met. For some reason, "confessing" that your child is academically gifted seems to be viewed as snobbery...though if a child is the quarterback of a football team, captain of the cheerleading squad, wins the debate tournament, etc...then there is no shame in putting them in special gymnastics classes, etc etc...and parents feel free to discuss those achievements.

There are several issues involved and because of Andrew's experience in the public school system, I share your concerns. After Andrew's math ability was tested (Finally) by the school, the psychologist actually said "Well, you weren't just spittin' in the wind"....and I found that to be offensive. If you advocate for your child's education you are looked upon as a pushy mom who is overstating her childs' abilities.

We are in the same situation and other than literally buying workbooks for him to do at home and working on a home-schooling plan for the summer....I'm fairly lost too.

As to homeschooling permanently...In my case, I just don't think that I have the discipline or organizational skills to pull it off...

Kris

I apologize if I sound snobby....this is a really frustrating issue.

Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!Edited by: kmmath  at: 4/18/02 3:59:35 pm

Comment

Jennifer,

I have considered (and still am, to be honest) homeschooling Luke. He responds pretty well to me and I seem to have done okay with him so far, although he has "caught" much more than I have formally "taught" if you know what I mean. BUT -- I have no interest in homeschooling all the way through high school. Luke is ahead of his classmates now, and if I "formally" homeschool him, I don't know how I would ever put him back into school at an age-appropriate level.

Also, being (relatively) new in town, I think I would have a hard time finding friends for him -- I sure am having a hard time finding them for myself! We go to a large church, but there are a lot of young families and a ton of people with middle and high school aged children, but there are only 4 kids in his Sunday School class, and nothing has developed there as far as friendship. He played soccer last fall and is playing now, too, but there is a mentality at work with the parents and kids on his team that I don't want him around. Let's just say that the "sports is everything" mentality is alive and well here in North Texas. We are actually going to have him try out for the swim team this summer (my husband and his two brothers were swimmers all the way from childhood through college) and we are hoping he will want to quit soccer once he starts swimming.

We are going to sort of homeschool this summer, to work on his handwriting and to provide some structure to our days, so we will see how that goes. He is excited about it.

Jenn, I think you have really nailed it when you talk about this part of TX. Maybe that is why I REALLY dislike it here. If we end up sending him to the private school, I am hoping I might find some friends amongst the parents! I don't know that the private school has any more resources for G/T students, but they do have smaller classes -- and probably more bright students. Also, I think a private school is more receptive when a parent has concerns.

Anyway, thank you for your responses. I need to go because we are off to Oklahoma City this afternoon for the weekend to celebrate Luke's 7th birthday with my husband's brother and his wife -- I am so excited to be getting out of here for the weekend!

Sally

Comment

Doyou live near any "Friends" Schools?
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Sally, if you do end up exploring the homeschooling option, the very first thing I'd do is try to locate local homeschooling organizations in your area. Some of these will be religious ones - that require you to sign a "statement of faith" contract (usually designed to keep all but Protestants from the group) BUT there is a possibility you might find one or two non-religious or more "open" groups in your area (sometimes Mormon or Muslim or just everyone groups exist that are more open to including eveyone). Just a little suggestion along with a warning! Anyway, if I end up homeschooling Alex here's my plan (that is still evolving to be truthful): He will be put into the cub scout program as early as possible. I'll definitely find as many homeschooling support groups in the area as I possibly can (they often organize classes together - pitchingin to hire a private tutor for the whole bunch, go on field trips together, conduct their own group projects, etc based upon the level that each child is at as an individual). Now, the area you are in, Wichita Falls, is what I always considered "the back woods" - growing up in Dallas . (Now, how's THAT for snobbery? ) So, if you find any groups in your area I'll bet they travel to Dallas for certain field trips - museums, zoos, etc. Anyway, to continue my plan for my son: I've also taken a lot of time investigating different programs that can be purchased and the different learning styles - you should do that as well should you want to explore this option. I'll provide links at the bottom of this post. Then, I don't know if I intend to homeschool (should it turn out that I do) past my children's childhood - consider, though, that if you homeschool at your child's level for five or six years, your child may be waaaaay beyond his age group's educational level by the time he is 11. (I've heard numerous accounts of children who were homeschooled who began community college when most kids would begin high school - I know a number of them as well, including my husband!) Anyway, here's a bunch of links that I've found and if they say they are "LDS" just ignore the religious reference and search or ask questions about programs, strategies, and the pros/cons. Homeschooling is not for everyone! I'll start with something I found on the net about Wichita Fall's homeschooling organizations (and then there are the other links that I've found interesting below):

"First tier sites":

http://www.wfcentral.com/pages/c...tml#school

http://www.texashomeeducators.com/

http://www.nheri.org/

http://www.homeschoolingtexas.org/

homeschooling.about.com/

http://www.homeschool-tips.com/OurGurus.asp

http://www.americanhomeschoolassociation.org/

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4663/

http://www.montessori.edu/homeschooling.html

Second tier sites:

groups.yahoo.com/group/lds_homeschool/

groups.yahoo.com/group/Sa...dScholars/

"SaintsandScholars is a list for LDS and other Christian parents who homeschool their academically advanced children.

This list will take a serious look at the ways in which homeschooling shapes our lives and the lives of our children. The list is specifically geared toward academic homeschooling. Topics that do not relate to homeschooling are discouraged. All are invited to regularly share ideas, new web site discoveries, success and struggle stories, character education, favorite curriculum sources, influential books, experiences with distance learning, lessons you as a parent have learned, and the general daily life of homeschooling. "

Third tier sites (interesting):

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6529/

(That deals with the "unschooling" method )

http://www.hometaught.com/

Jennifer

Comment

Wow, Jennifer. I'm amazed!!!!

Kris
                Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!

Comment

Sally, since you are military as well I found out this in an email I received yesterday regarding homeschooling for military families:

"I do

know that there currently is an International IDEA

program for military homeschooling families overseas.

It is run out of the same offices that the IDEA Alaska

program I belong to. They give you an allotment to

buy curriculum, etc. If you ever go overseas, you

should check with the Galena School District in Alaska

and see if that program is still going. That would be

the way to go.

I know that when we move out of Alaska for AGR (Army)

we will no longer be able to homeschool under Alaska

laws. I suppose you will have to go with the state

where you live. Having not moved yet...doggonit...I

don't know that for sure. "

Do you know much about this? Have you ever heard of it? Well, anyway, here's the homepage which, in characteristic military style, is very vague:

http://www.usafa.af.mil/xp/xpm/idea.htm

The gist of it seems to be reimbursement for supplies, etc that homeschooling military families seem to be able to qualify for. Just thought I'd mention this odd new thing I found out about today should you go the homeschooling route - apparently a lot of military families end up doing that.

Jennifer

Comment

OK, tired of hearing from me, I know, but I want to giveyou as much info about your options as possible (because in a po-dunk place like Wichita Falls it seems like there aren't many options).

I found the following sites for MILITARY homeschoolers (I've never even thought to look to be honest, but low and behold they exist in numbers on the net!):

http://www.vegsource.com/homeschool/military/

eho.org/militaryhs.htm

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/3529/73673

(the above is an article with links that you might find interesting)

http://www.sgtmoms.com/

(that seems to be a general support group for military moms with some homeschoolers in the mix)

OK, I think I've just dumped a whole bunch of links on you now, but at least you have other options to explore should you feel the need!

Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer and Sally- (and anyone else who cares!)

There are tons of military families who homeschool- The Washington Post did a big article about it a few years ago. I remember one woman said she homeschooled because it was the only way to guarantee that her son didn't have "dinosaurs for three years in a row".

They were an Infantry family and those guys do move quite a bit so I'm sure it gets to be very annoying year in and year out. We have a bit if a luxury in that we're usually not moved every year!

I'm sure that there are families up there who would be willing to combine resources, too. It's a fascinating topic, isn't it? Even from one who doesn't have children! (but my master's is in Cousneling Education- does that count!)

Jenn

Comment

Jennifer and Jenn,

I am very familiar with the homeschool co-op angle. In San Antonio, there was a big homeschool co-op that met at my church, and I got in the act by teaching probably 9 piano lessons a week to homeschooled children. I also had a voice class for 6 6th grade girls once a week that was a ton of fun.

There are quite a few homeschool families here that I have met as well. I have read extensively about it to the point that I know exactly what curriculum I would try first if I decided to take the plunge -- BUT again, I come back to the fact that I don't want to homeschool him all the way through, and he is already enough ahead that if I homeschool him, it will be impossible to put him back in school with his age group at a later time.

Sooo, today DH and I toured the private school and I think we are leaning towards enrolling him. I was able to be very candid with the principal and she told me about a child in kindergarten there who is able to do 3rd grade math work, and is reading at about 2nd grade level. They are totally individualizing his work to meet his needs, and their goal for him is to be well-rounded -- to be able to play with kids his age as well as to excel where he is gifted. Sounds good to me! I am going to try to observe the second grade teacher in action in the next couple of weeks, and if nothing horrible leaps out at me then, we will go ahead and enroll him. Thank God for the bonus pays in the military! (Not that we are so well off, but when the money comes in a big lump, it is easier to do something constructive with it, rather than blow it.) And I am SO glad that my husband will promote to major before our second one starts school!

I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the links, Jennifer!

Sally

Comment

Well, we're kind of in a stupor about this whole situation now too. Our property taxes just went up 500$/year to fund the schools here and we would be paying that gladly if we felt that it were going to help improve the quality of education. We aren't going to be able to afford private schools unless I get a full-time job, because if we send Andrew, we owe it to Finny and Alex to do the same. We've gone full circle and come back to the idea of home schooling....and I honestly worry that I wouldn't be organized enough and that my children would suffer for it...they really enjoy going to school and the socialization with friends. I know that there are homeschooling organizations out there and there are opportunities to do things as a group...but like Sally, I worry that starting homeschooling is the point of no return because you get the children farther ahead. I also know that if I do this for Andrew that I need to do it for the others....and so I also worry that for myself, this means never being able to go back to work or school...which is something that I'd eventually like to do.....

It is very unfortunate that the schools are like this. I think Bush's new program is kind of ironic..."No child gets left behind" ...and in the meantime, no child can get ahead.....or the children who are ahead aren't encouraged....

I'm really glad that you guys have found this solution, Sally...It sounds like the private school you've found is really going to work with you as a family!!!

Kris

Comment

Wow! I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading this thread!

Christy

Comment

Actually, Christy, I'd be really interested in your feedback as a teacher and reading specialist.....

You know another thing interesting to me is that my son is so far ahead and my daughter is so far behind....

Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X