Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Feeding a 7 month old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding a 7 month old

What do you feed a 7 month old? She loves apple sauce and green peas that is about it.

cheerios

bananas

small chunks of strawberries

broccoli

small amount of cooked carrots(peds recommend you NOT feed them fresh carrots in large quantities)

mashed potatoes

bagels...they love to chew and suck on them when teething.

plain pasta noodles

then of course there is the stand-by rice cereal and jared baby food.
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by "mom2three
      small amount of cooked carrots(peds recommend you NOT feed them fresh carrots in large quantities)
      specifically organic carrots should be avoided. everything else organic is good, but carrots produce some chemical when left to grow organically that is not good for little ones.

Comment

specifically organic carrots should be avoided. everything else organic is good, but carrots produce some chemical when left to grow organically that is not good for little ones.
        wow...I've never heard this before. Do you have any details, because this sounds really weird to me.
        In fact, root crops and tubers such as carrots, potatos, onions, yams, etc... are much more susceptible to pesticides and fertilizers (nitrates -> blue baby syndrome) because they tend to absorb them so much more readily from the soil than crops which grow above ground.
        So maybe it's that the carrots absorb more nitrates from organic fertilizers?
        dunno.
        In any case, I'd be interested in finding out the source.

(I turned orange as a baby from eating too many carrots. Or maybe I had career aspirations to be an oompa-loompa)
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

Fluff -- nitrates sound familiar. Jarred organic carrot baby food is ok. I think (???) it is to do with soil variations in different parts of the country and something harmful, maybe nitrates.

Comment

I read it in one of my books when I was making ds#1's baby food. I remember having to throw out my 2nd batch of carrots b/c of it (I'd mixed the 1st batch w/soy milk, the 2nd batch was organic). Since you asked this morning I tried to do some online searches to find a source for you, and of course found conflicting information.

You're right, the issue is nitrates. "Sources" disagree on whether or not it's a real issue. I probably read it in "The Well Fed Baby" or "Superbabyfoods" (all one word), or "Mommy Made".

Comment

OK...I would think that the benefits of eating organic carrots and not getting the pesticides would far outway the tiny chance of methenoglobanemia (I have no idea about the spelling - it's blue baby syndrome) from the teeny tiny wee bit of nitrates in the carrots. This for store bought carrots, not jarred baby food. (nitrates can be a real problem in drinking water, if you have well water in an agricultural area)
              But this raises another issue - some sources say that all the harmful compounds would be broken down by the processing (specifically heating) that occurs before baby food is jarred, and buying organic baby food is just a waste of money. (this would not apply to any metals, which would remain in the food).
              Enabler of DW and 5 kids
              Let's go Mets!

Comment

Fluff, it's still waaaay to early in the morning for me to process all that. If I remember correctly, I read that there are specific geographic areas where the carrot issue is more of a problem than others. Maybe in the Super Babyfood book? I think I went ahead and made carrot babyfood and just didn't feed a whole lot of it.

I made most of DD1's food, a little bit of DD2....what will the third eat?

Comment

I LOVE that book Super Baby Food. But I'm not motivated enough to do half the stuff she talks about. But it's a great source of info for what to feed the kid at each age.
                  Adding tahini to baby cereal seemed to make it much more palateable for the kid, and boosted the protein content.
                  Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                  Let's go Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by ladybug
                    DD really liked bananas and avocados mashed together
                    Ok, from a childless person so far - how do you even come up with that combination?
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheri
                      Originally posted by ladybug
                      DD really liked bananas and avocados mashed together
                      Ok, from a childless person so far - how do you even come up with that combination?
                      I made something like that too. For me, it was having them in the dish together, they sort of sneak together, I end up mixing them, and she likes it! Viola! A new food combo is born. Same for bananas and sweet potatoes. DD really liked mango. That would be good with bananas.

Fluff -- I made the porridge from that book. Kids loved it. I thought it tasted pretty good too. In comparison, the rice cereal from the box is nasty.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 49-2105740

I highly recommend one of these. It broadens your food horizons immeasureably. We put whole bits of all sorts of fruits and veggies in there, and my daughter loved it. It's the only way we could get her to eat things. She liked the real stuff!
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

If you have ever seen methemoglobinemia you will never forget it. It is an uncommon side effect when we use benzocaine spray in Endoscopy (nitrites can cause it too). The arterial blood gas is normal but the patient becomes more and more cyanotic, the oxygen cannot get to the tissues. If not treated it can be fatal. There are other causes but this is the only one I know about because of my work, it is really scary to see. I have only seen it twice, but that was two times too many.
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I started feeding DS hummus around that age and he loved it. It's simple to make, too. Prunes are also good since they will help keep her regular, esp with the transition to solids. If you start feeding her mangoes, just keep an eye out for any type of reaction (rash, cough, upset stomach, etc)....mangoes aren't one of the big eight allergens, but according to DH they are an "emerging" allergen that a lot of people are not yet aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                              Fluff -- I made the porridge from that book. Kids loved it. I thought it tasted pretty good too. In comparison, the rice cereal from the box is nasty.
                              Jack just started solids and I'm making all of his food so far (he likes sweet potatoes and squash, doesn't like bananas, we're trying avocado tomorrow) but haven't had the energy to try making the porridge. I've just been guying the Gerber cereals, but maybe I'll give the porridge a try...

But, I'm confused about the carrots. So, jarred organic carrots are ok? Or can I make my own using organic carrots, but just feed them a little bit?
                              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
                              X