Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Thumb Sucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumb Sucker?

So Kai - 12 weeks old - seems to be a thumb sucker. Already. I didn't even know they could suck their thumbs this young. He's had a strong suck drive since birth....and would get mad with my milk flow sometimes...so we've used the pacifier since he was about 3 weeks....but the last two weeks he has preferred his thumb....sometimes other fingers but usually the thumb.

I didn't want a thumb sucker. So is it something I should worry about now? Or just pay for the braces later? I figured the pacifier would be easier to get rid of than the thumb...so I've been trying to push the pacifier.....but really...I'm smoking crack, right, to think anything I do can change this??
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Re: Thumb Sucker?

Eli is the same...he takes the pacifier out in order to suck his fingers and thumbs. We read a few articles/books that say we should try to break that habit earlier rather than later. I was a thumbsucker and my parents waited way too long to stop me and I had braces as a result.
    Danielle
    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Both of my kids were/are thumbsuckers. My dd started sucking her thumb at two months and she still sucks it. My ds, on the other hand, started sucking his thumb somewhere around 4 to 6 months. I don't remember exactly. He never seemed to be as attached to it as my dd. He stopped sucking his thumb around 1, when I had to put a band-aid on it because of a sore. He didn't like the band-aid and quit cold turkey.

I don't know that there is much you can do about the thumbsucking habit at that age. I've read that it really isn't an issue until the child is older. Based on my experience with my ds though, put a band-aid on the thumb around 1 year old and see if he quits.
      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

We used pacifiers with both the boys. Easy to get rid of around 12-18 months. DD was a thumb-sucker early on -sounds a lot like Kai. She found her thumb and hasn't stopped since. She is now 5 1/2 and is doing some damage to her teeth. We have tried all sorts of methods - both reward and threats and nothing works. Truly, it is a PITA. She was the easiest baby, by far, and I attributed it to her thumb habit - but now I wish I would have stopped her much, much earlier. Good luck!

Comment

Our girls were thumb suckers and the boys used pacifiers. Thumbs are WAY easier and don't worry about the braces. Our dentist says as long as they stop before the adult teeth come in you'll be okay. This has been true for our oldest. She sucked her thumb until she was 6.5 and her teeth look great. She likely won't even need braces.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowWhite
            She was the easiest baby, by far, and I attributed it to her thumb habit - but now I wish I would have stopped her much, much earlier. Good luck!
            My dd was easier than than ds when it came to sleep. She started sleeping through the night at 2 months, nine hours at a time and she was exclusively breast fed. That started at the same time the thumb sucking did and I've always wondered if the two were related.
            Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

My youngest who is now 8 is a 2 finger sucker-never would take a pacifier. She still sucks at age 8 when she is tired or watching TV. Will be facing braces as she has a huge overbite.

Comment

My nephew was sucking his thumb at 8-10 weeks (while in my care. yikes!) I tried to stop it right when it started, substituting a pacifier each time he went for the thumb. He'd actually hold his thumb over the pacifier and "pretend" that the pacifier was the thumb. Then as soon as I moved away from him, he'd loose the pacifier. He's 3 now and still occassionally sucks his thumb.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I didn't want a thumb sucker. So is it something I should worry about now? Or just pay for the braces later? I figured the pacifier would be easier to get rid of than the thumb...so I've been trying to push the pacifier.....but really...I'm smoking crack, right, to think anything I do can change this??
                  This thread has been wildly eye opening. It just shows how different each kid is.

Around 12 weeks, I kept pulling DD's thumb out and putting in a pacifier. I probably did this a hundred times over the span of a few days. She eventually took to the pacifier and I tried to wean her at two, three, and finally at four I met success. Ironically when I took the pacifier at two and three, she went back to the thumb. It wasn't until she was four that she could go cold turkey to both.

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Adele doesn't take either - she took a pacifier until about a month ago, now she's not interested. Of course if she would take either then maybe she wouldn't still be taking a bottle as the only means to get her to bed when she naps or sleeps.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Out of 3, I have two pacifer users and one two-finger sucker from 3 months on. My 5 year old, the finger sucker, still has the habit when she is tired. My two year old is so obsessed with her "binki" that we haven't even tried to take it away yet. Not a battle I want to fight yet. Both the younger ones have moved their teeth with their vices.
                      Needs

Comment

Dude sucks two fingers (upside down) and he's starting to outgrow it, when he's tired or nervous he'll suck his fingers.

As Tara (I think?) said, our dentist said it's not likely to do damage until the adult teeth come in.

I figured I wasn't about to yank his fingers out of his mouth upon arrival at Dulles and given it was an entirely new life, I thought whatever soothing thing worked for him was fine. (same reason we didn't bother having him circumsized- 'welcome to your new country, we'd like to take a whack at your willy now.'

Jenn

Comment

'welcome to your new country, we'd like to take a whack at your willy now.'
                          This is hysterical.

Kelly
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                            Dude sucks two fingers (upside down) and he's starting to outgrow it, when he's tired or nervous he'll suck his fingers.

As Tara (I think?) said, our dentist said it's not likely to do damage until the adult teeth come in.

I figured I wasn't about to yank his fingers out of his mouth upon arrival at Dulles and given it was an entirely new life, I thought whatever soothing thing worked for him was fine. (same reason we didn't bother having him circumsized- 'welcome to your new country, we'd like to take a whack at your willy now.'

Jenn
                            I've been meaning to ask you this... how old was your son when you brought him to the US?
                            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I have a student (16) who will suck her thumb if she falls asleep in my class
                              Jen
                              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                              X