Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What to Expect the First Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Expect the First Year

Did any of you find this book useful?

I'm starting to freak out. The baby is doing a lot of kicking and hiccuping, so it's becoming VERY real.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Sorry but I've boycotted the WTE series. I own Gentle Baby Care by Pantley and often check out The Baby Book by Sears. (Sorry so brief, nursing at keyboard...)
    Alison

Comment

hi alison!
      I recommend Heading Home with your Newborn...thought it was extremely helpful for the first few months. I also like Pantley but have been reading her No Cry Sleep Solution. And I LOVE the Sears'!

Comment

I only have "The Baby Book". I learned pretty quickly that the more I read the more confused I get when it comes to baby stuff. Or annoyed, depending on the source!

Comment

Originally posted by Lamorna View Post
          I only have "The Baby Book". I learned pretty quickly that the more I read the more confused I get when it comes to baby stuff. Or annoyed, depending on the source!
          I'm sort of in this camp. On one hand, I'm wishing that the baby came with a manual. On the other hand, I know that whatever I read will be overwhelming and impractical once the baby comes. I was reading the parenting magazines at the OB's office the other day and nearly had a panic attack. Every other page was suggesting something like having a tea party with the kids -- where you make the treats from scratch, and the decorations, and costumes, and napkin rings, and, and, and. . . .Basically, this simple tea party was a three-day endeavor.

I figure that I'll read some stuff because I'm like that but ultimately some of it is stuff your momma taught you and some of it is instinct.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

We get conflicting reports from the grandparents. In Germany, babies aren't swaddled. And that's just the start of the differences...

My dad just says you roll with the punches and learn as you go. He says at first you go through crazy amounts of diapers no matter if they're clean or dirty, because you JUST DON'T KNOW! He said there was a steep learning curve, but that my brother and I seem to have survived. Dh and I are big on studying, reading, worrying. It's just the way we are. We got the Sears as a baby shower gift, so that's a start.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by Lamorna View Post
              This is so true. I've learned to take any parenting book with a grain of salt. There is no one book that can address every question or concern about a pregnancy or child.

I've read the What to Expect books (pregnancy and first year) because I received them as gifts. Like all of the other parenting books I've thumbed through, I found some useful stuff and some not so useful stuff in them.
              Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

I'm sure we'll get conflicting advice from the grandmas too. My mom and MIL have very different parenting styles. We'll adopt what we like and ignore the rest.

Besides, I figure that DrK's psychiatrist friends will have all sorts of opinions about what we're doing wrong. Seriously, I'm just cringing at the notion that budding child psychiatrists will be frequent guests in our home.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

All you need is iMSN!!! It' free, better and easier to understand. I love this parenting resource.
                  -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                    All you need is iMSN!!! It' free, better and easier to understand. I love this parenting resource.
                    I concur!
                    Kris

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe View Post
                      I've read the What to Expect books (pregnancy and first year) ... Like all of the other parenting books I've thumbed through, I found some useful stuff and some not so useful stuff in them.
                      I agree with this. I only have WTE the First Year and I wouldn't say it's either wonderful or awful, I thought it was okay and a somewhat useful guide to the first year. But you'll quickly learn what works and doesn't work for you!
                      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I gave up on the WTE books with the pregnancy book. So much worry!

I agree with the other suggestions as well as Happiest Baby on the Block. Yes, yes, yes on swaddling! I'd still have a nervous tick from TenE if it weren't for the swaddling. (Most babies aren't like she was but I think the vast majority like swaddling and it is definitely worth trying).

Not quite the same thing but my German friend has a shlafesack? Or something that translates to "sleep sack". When the baby would wake up poopy her DH started calling it the sheissesack.
                        Last edited by cupcake; 06-13-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                          I gave up on the WTE books with the pregnancy book. So much worry!

I agree with the other suggestions as well as Happiest Baby on the Block. Yes, yes, yes on swaddling! I'd still have a nervous tick from TenE if it weren't for the swaddling. (Most babies are like she was that but I think the vast majority like swaddling and it is definitely worth trying).

Not quite the same thing but my German friend has a shlafesack? Or something that translates to "sleep sack". When the baby would wake up poopy her DH started calling it the sheissesack.
                          Australians call them gro-bags.

Swaddling is such a miracle worker! Especially when coupled with the rest of Harvey Karp's "5 Ss". I don't know how anyone with a needy baby could survive without it, and even my super easy Natalie was made easier when I could curtail her VERY infrequent inconsolable late-night crying with a quick swaddle, side, ssh, sway, and suck.
                          Alison

Comment

For me, baby books were a lot like marriage books: something that ended up in the donation bin.

I didn't like any of them, that I remember. Read none before DD (our #2). Somehow, that pregnancy was much more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                              My dad just says you roll with the punches and learn as you go. He says at first you go through crazy amounts of diapers no matter if they're clean or dirty, because you JUST DON'T KNOW! He said there was a steep learning curve, but that my brother and I seem to have survived.
                              Your dad is so right...I stopped looking at all the baby books the day after he was born...they stressed me out way too much because every baby is different. i.e. Little E hated being swaddled but all the books kept saying babies love it but once we stopped the swaddling, everything for his sleep got so much better.
                              Danielle
                              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Working...
                              X