Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What to Expect the First Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I LOVE baby books. Spock to Sears and even one written by my own pediatrician. They are not all great (or even good) but I can always find some snippet of a good idea in each of them. Plus, if you have enough books one of them is likely to give you the answer you want.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
      I LOVE baby books. Spock to Sears and even one written by my own pediatrician. They are not all great (or even good) but I can always find some snippet of a good idea in each of them. Plus, if you have enough books one of them is likely to give you the answer you want.
      I would feel more comfortable with some sort of guide -- in print. Whether I feel the stuff is useful or not is something I guess I can decide when we've gone through some of it ourselves! I mean, there are some things that I just didn't know until I had done a little reading. Like basic safety stuff such as what goes into a crib and what doesn't!
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I'm totally a reader and researcher, I like to have at least two "expert" views on each topic so that I can evaluate for myself which makes more sense (or, if they agree, it's quite likely to be good information!), and then apply as appropriate for my own individual situation.
        Alison

Comment

Alison, I had the Dr Spock book: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Spocks-Baby...4932073&sr=1-1

I also have another one which I love, when I get home I'll post the link I've searched on amazon and can't find it.

As for the swaddling, like all children they're all different. A never slept well swaddled after the 1st week.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I liked WTE books - mostly because we have been raising our children hours from family. It gave me something to compare to. I used what information I needed and ignored what didn't fit our lifestyle.
            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post

Not quite the same thing but my German friend has a shlafesack? Or something that translates to "sleep sack". When the baby would wake up poopy her DH started calling it the sheissesack.

The funny thing is that it's not nice to call someone a "Sack" in German, so I hope the dad was referring to the sleeping bag and not the baby. It's like calling someone an ass.

Comment

I recommend getting the books from the library and seeing what you like. Don't go out and buy books that you'll read once and set aside.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post

The funny thing is that it's not nice to call someone a "Sack" in German, so I hope the dad was referring to the sleeping bag and not the baby. It's like calling someone an ass.

Yes, he was referring to the sack.

Happiest Baby on the Block, if I remember correctly, has some early baby info aside from his 5 S's stuff. I think the swaddling is worth trying, along with other things, to see what works for you.

I also liked the Sears Baby Book. It was easy for me to read about certain topics or ages, developmental changes, etc. I didn't find any one book that was a perfect fit but looked at a few.

Comment

The library would be a great resource, you're right. The more popular books at the library gross me out -- they're always SO dirty (at least at the downtown branch in Chicago). I feel like a moron saying this, but there's no way I could take a library book into bed with me without washing my sheets each night.

Comment

You could browse some nice clean books at the book store. I think if you flipped through a couple you would find some that click with you more than others. Maybe?

Comment

Just want to second the plug for Happiest Baby on the Block. There is a DVD too, which apparently is better for showing the techniques that Karp describes. I also have Pantley's books, and I frequent Kellymom.com and their forums for "real-time" advice.

We also have a guide called Baby 411, and it's pretty good, but it does have some references to cry-it-out, which I don't happen to believe in, but I look past that. I like having lots of different resources, and then choosing the advice/information that fits with me the best.

My DD would never sleep if she were not swaddled. Since babies have to sleep on their backs, they often need to be swaddled to feel more cozy and secure. When babies slept on their tummies, their arms couldn't startle and whack them in the face like they do when they are on their backs. So, I think that's why swaddling is so much more popular now.
                        Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                          You could browse some nice clean books at the book store. I think if you flipped through a couple you would find some that click with you more than others. Maybe?
                          I talked to my mom yesterday and she happened to tell me that she bought WTE the First Year. She said when she flipped through it at the bookstore that it looked very thorough and helpful, but that when she started reading it at home, she found that didn't agree with many of the "rules for babies" that the author espouses. She thinks the ideas are a bit too controlling for her taste, and that it'll only set me up for frustration and disappointment if, from day 1, I try to regulate what and how the baby does things.

Comment

Honestly, I found that most parenting books are great as long as you use them for things like, 'hmmmm, when DOES the first tooth come in?" as opposed to "what do I do with _____ problem?"

I have found real-life BTDT parents to be a much greater resource. So many of the books are written as if they're the next set of commandments and so often they ended up just completely freaking me out. Especially all of the adoption books about kids from Russia and Eastern Europe. It practically sounds like all of the kids are rocking in the corners and they'll all have horrific psychiatric issues. Scared the beejeezuz out me.

and while I definitely love the online world (hello?) be super careful about online parenting resources. Talk about militant!

I have found that this fabulous group of people are excellent resources full of lots of information.

Jenn

Comment

Alison, you could buy yourself some comic relief with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hatched-Big-Pu...5084008&sr=8-1

Comment

I used the WTE books sort of like DCJenn described-- as a resource. But I don't think it's really necessary b/c if I want to know something, I just look it up on the computer rather than look for the book...

I did like Sears' pregnancy book the best.

The only book I've really liked a lot is the Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Baby book-- but I know A LOT of people don't like it...
                                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                                X