Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sleep question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive by posting. My dad figured it out. Lactose intolerance colic. She's on soy milk formula now, and doing better. Less gas, less fussy. Still detoxing from regular formula. I hope this is what the problem has been...
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

As much as that sucks - I hope it is a relatively easy solution for you. Kudos for catching on to it so quickly!
      Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
        As much as that sucks - I hope it is a relatively easy solution for you. Kudos for catching on to it so quickly!
        Well, she is half Asian!

She's so much calmer after this feeding. She's got a lot less gas - she'd have these monstrous farts. I always thought it was dh, but nooo... it's my little 4-week old.

I'm so glad she's resting comfortably now. Her whole face would turn red when she farted or pooped.

Cross your fingers that we'll have more restful nights. Getting up every hour with her has been wiping us out! The only saving grace was that dh is used to getting up at all hours of the day and night from residency... So I guess all those years of overnight call were useful!

Comment

She's been asleep for 3 hours, which is longer than she's slept in a long time. Do I wake her up to try to feed her again?! I'm such an idiot!!!

Comment

No! If she's sleeping let her sleep, especially now that you're bottle feeding as long as she keeps gaining there is no need to wake her. If she keeps sleeping you could wake her before you're ready to go to bed, feed her and then put her back down.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
              No! If she's sleeping let her sleep, especially now that you're bottle feeding as long as she keeps gaining there is no need to wake her. If she keeps sleeping you could wake her before you're ready to go to bed, feed her and then put her back down.
              I let her sleep and she woke up on her own. The thing is the pediatrician told me to wake her up every 3 hours when we went in a couple of days after she was born. But this past week or so, she just hasn't been getting much sleep, so I was confused there for a moment -- do I get her up to eat again? Do I let her catch up on the sleep???

Comment

My guess is that was meant for when you were breastfeeding - was she having issues gaining weight? Now that she's on formula and seems to be eating well I wouldn't wake her unless you have to.

Hang in there!
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yes, she had lost a considerable amount of weight at that point. I'm no longer breast feeding, but she was eating so poorly up until we switched to soy milk formula today, so I just didn't know what to do.

Just let her sleep. I can do that!

Comment

At night, I would just let her sleep as long as she wants. During the day, if (and it is a big if) you want to start pushing to get her sleep cycle normalized, you could wake her after 2-3 hours. But. If you do that, you can end up with a cranky baby who will just crash out on you again...

I would probably just let her sleep as much as she needs the next few days. After that she will probably start to self regulate a bit.
                    Kris

Comment

Now that she's a month, you don't have to worry about her eating as frequently. The worry when they're newborns isn't as much due to weight loss, but rather that babes become hypoglycemic, and then parents think they're sleeping because they're tired, when they're actually hypoglycemic - not so good. Around 4-6 weeks, their little bods kick in a little more and they will wake when hungry, so it's not so much a worry for most kids.
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

So glad you and your dad were able to figure it out! You're a great mommy!!!
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                        X