Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

And now a cold...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now a cold...

Just as M was getting better from the rotavirus vaccine, she brings home a cold! Gnnnnnnnahhhhh!

I have so little energy left, it isn't even funny.

I signed us up for an infant massage class yesterday morning, before I realized M was really sick. I explained later in the day that I didn't realize M was sick until after I registered. The lady on the phone said sorry, but that I'd lose the money. So, I said I was bringing the sick baby, because I didn't want to lose my $40. Needless to say, I got my money back. I usually don't resort to being a bitch like this, but I got desperate.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Hang in there. I know it's hard- if you have to elevate one end of her crib so that she can sleep/breathe better, (does she sleep in a crib?) the easiest way we did that was to put some of DHs textbooks under the legs of the crib. That was much easier than trying to use the wedge-pillow thing. I'm not sure it was *safe*, but since we only used that method with babies who weren't standing yet, I think it's ok...
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post

Hang in there. I know it's hard- if you have to elevate one end of her crib so that she can sleep/breathe better, (does she sleep in a crib?) the easiest way we did that was to put some of DHs textbooks under the legs of the crib. That was much easier than trying to use the wedge-pillow thing. I'm not sure it was *safe*, but since we only used that method with babies who weren't standing yet, I think it's ok...
      We wedged some pillows under one end of her crib. I've got two that are the perfect size for "doing the wedge."

I forgot to ask the nurse on the phone (yes, I called the clinic!) whether it's ok to use that Vicks menthol stuff in the humidifier. Do any of you know?

I've been pulling boogers out of her nose with my fingers... How did I get here...?!

Comment

Why don't you use the nasal aspriator???

We use the saline for kids- spray that up the nostril, then aspirate. It helps a lot.

I can't stand the smell of the vicks! So we've never used it...
        Peggy

Comment

Also make sure you track her temp carefully. Baby's as young as she is shouldn't have the fever go much higher than... 100.4 is it?? Anyway, sometimes a fevre comes along with a little cold. Hopefully she'll be over it quickly!
          Peggy

Comment

Wow, you're good, Peggy! The nurse told us to do the exact same stuff as you're telling me.

I hate using the nose aspirator, because what was a calm baby turns into a screaming, red-faced one...

I had my first go with the thermometer and a tub of Vaseline this morning. M cracked a huge smile when the thermometer went in -- which is both good and troubling at the same time.

Comment

Poor little M! Hope she feels better soon. And good for you for gettin your money back. That wa pretty dumb of them...
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Im so sorry - sick babies are so hard! While regular Vicks is really dangerous for kiddos, the stuff that goes in the humidifier is supposed to be just fragrance. But, because of that it doesn't do anything. I would stick with a plain humidifier and saline wash out of the little nose (hey - if she likes her temp take, maybe she'll like that, too).
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                  I had my first go with the thermometer and a tub of Vaseline this morning. M cracked a huge smile when the thermometer went in -- which is both good and troubling at the same time.
                  I've never used a rectal thermometer, you're brave! Thankfully my peds and my dawkter DH have always been OK with axillary temps!
                  Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                    I've never used a rectal thermometer, you're brave! Thankfully my peds and my dawkter DH have always been OK with axillary temps!
                    The rectal thermometer is not my thing, believe me. Plus, the digital ones are made for righties, and so as a lefty, you have to read it upside down or flip it over when you pull it out. Sheesh. (Not really a big deal, but just want to complain.)

I have a harder time with the saline solution, because it makes her cry. I didn't know I was supposed to just let it drip into her nose, and had been giving her the stuff with a full spray.

Comment

I have a harder time with the saline solution, because it makes her cry. I didn't know I was supposed to just let it drip into her nose, and had been giving her the stuff with a full spray.
                      N used to get on my case for not using the bulb suction but I just couldn't bring myself to do that unless they were totally stopped up! Even then it's tough. I never did saline spray but I did squirt breastmilk up the nose. They didn't like that much either but at least it's a slightly friendlier and more familiar dispensing nozzle!
                      Alison

Comment

Don't worry about doing a full squirt. I ended up going way over the 2 drop recommendation, and the Dr said it wouldn't do any harm...

My kids all screamed about the nasal spray, too. But I was able to suction them out much better after it, and they were *snot free* to some degree for a while. It ended up helping a lot.

I tried the whole breastmilk thing too-- with not much success!!!
                        Peggy

Comment

Working...
                        X