Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dd hungry but will not eat - help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just thought I'd update, in case someone else encounters the same issue with their baby at some point.

Dd is 4 months old and 13 pounds. She's a lean, mean, fightin' machine.

I talked to my bil the other day and we're working on feeding her less at night, so that when she's up in the morning, she's starving. This hasn't been the case quite yet. She's perfectly fine with waking up every 3 hours at night and drinking 1.5 oz each time, and then if we're lucky during the day, drinking 3 oz every 4-5 hours. Bil said that there's no way that we're doing her any harm if she doesn't eat enough for a few days.

So, we'll see if we can get her eating schedule back on track so that she's not up at night.

There's just so much to do during the day. My girl is awfully busy!

Thanks for your help! It was hard to ignore a kid 4 days older than dd at our parent group today who is 15 pounds - guzzling down a 7-oz bottle. That's how much dd eats in an entire day!
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Alison,

I meant to respond earlier, but have been so busy with the holidays etc. I just wanted to chime in and tell you that Aidan was the same way ... and continues to be so today at 6 years old.

Seriously, even if I take him to McDonalds for a treat of chicken nuggets and french fries, he will eat two of the four nuggets and maybe a few fries. Zoe, on the other hand will polish off her four and his remaining two! She is 3 1/2 and is as big as he is. They could pass for twins.

All kids are different. I remember that he would nurse for just a few minutes at a time, taking delicate little sips and then he was done. I tried everything suggested to me from trying to rub his little cheeks and keep him up drinking...you name it...there was just no controlling his little tummy and appetite!

I would just feed Maya when she is hungry whether it is the middle of the night or not...especially if you are concerned about her not getting enough.

It sounds to me like you have a good handle on it all though! You're a great mom!

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
        I would just feed Maya when she is hungry whether it is the middle of the night or not...especially if you are concerned about her not getting enough.

It sounds to me like you have a good handle on it all though! You're a great mom!

Kris
        What she said.

What my sister does (a mother of 4) is when they are about 4-6 months, she lets the baby cry it out for the first awakening in the middle of the night. I don't have the heart for CIO, but it works well for her.
        Last edited by HouseofWool; 12-29-2009, 08:27 PM.
        Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
          What she said.

What my sister does (a mother of 4) is when they are about 4-6 months, she lets the baby cry it out for the first awakening in the middle of the night. I don't have the heart for CIO, but it works well for her.
          I'm not going to let her cry it out, and just let her feed on demand, like both Kris and Kris (!!!) have said. Over the past 24 hours, she's only eaten 15 oz of formula. She should be somewhere in the upper 20s to lower 30s.

She's very lean for her age. We've got an appointment with her pediatrician, and I wouldn't be surprised if she's in the lower third percentile for weight.

Just. Not. Interested. In. Food. Now if I could only harness some of that disinterest myself!

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about letting her eat on demand. Dd was up every 2 hours overnight, and I'm exhausted! I was able to do this through the newborn stage, but at 4 months, there's got to be another way...

In good news, she ate 4 oz this morning. That's quite a feat for her. It involved a lot of tears, and an equal (if not more) amount of slobber. I've got to really pin the girl down to eat!

We play really hard during the day. I do lots of reading, tummy time, bumbo-seat-Sophie-chewing time, singing, finger games, flying... I think it's time to buy one of those super ugly saucer things. Man, are they ugly.
            I want to wear this girl out even more, so that she eats and sleeps more.

Do any of you have the Baby Einstein activity center? http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Einstein-.../dp/B00115Q5A2

Or, do you have any recommendations for ones that don't have too big of a footprint?

Comment

The tricky thing about eating on demand is that at 4 months the waking can be all sorts of things NOT related to hunger. I've always fed on demand (but that's a lot easier with nursing), but I'd be surprised if she's actually looking for food every two hours rather than wanting soothing every two hours. Is she in your room? With the boys I found that they'd lightly wake , and then hear or smell me, and then full-on wake, and once I moved them to their own room they slept WORLDS better.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                The tricky thing about eating on demand is that at 4 months the waking can be all sorts of things NOT related to hunger. I've always fed on demand (but that's a lot easier with nursing), but I'd be surprised if she's actually looking for food every two hours rather than wanting soothing every two hours. Is she in your room? With the boys I found that they'd lightly wake , and then hear or smell me, and then full-on wake, and once I moved them to their own room they slept WORLDS better.
                I see your point, and I think it's EXACTLY what's going on. She's not hungry. Food is the only thing that gets her to go back to sleep, no matter how small the amount. We can pat her, rub her back, rock her, and give her the binky, but it's really the .5 oz of formula that get her back to bed.

I think we have to move her out. She's in our room.

I need to get her to eat during the day. She's so thin!

Comment

I think Jenn is on to something. If she is keying into you, then that could be what is causing her to become alert.

I HATE CIO. HATE. IT.

That said, I have found that it works. When is her first awakening? Is it before you have gone to bed? If so, I would try to let her fuss for 5-10 minutes to see if she can settle herself down. At 4 months, she should be able to calm herself, to a degree. With S, I have gone in when she is screaming, gotten the sobbing under control, wiped her nose, given her back her pacifier, and put her back down. I am generally in and out in under 2 minutes. It helps her get over the hump of the tantrum, but she still has to settle herself the rest of the way.

Like so much of parenting, it is about muddling along until you figure out what works for your kiddo.
                  Kris

Comment

Re: Dd hungry but will not eat - help, please

My thoughts are that 4 months is still appropriate for feeding on demand. I did this with all of mine and practiced co-sleeping. Usually, by about 9 months things ironed out and they only would wake up once. It is exhausting though.

As far as middle of the night waking, I swear the only interaction you can have is feeding or giving a pacifier. No cooing, smiling, back patting etc. Anything else seems to invite baby to wake up.

At 4 months baby will probably also start going to sleep later. I'm not sure if you are still laying her down early, but bumping that out an hour might help. Of course every baby is different.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know I'm beating this to a pulp, but... I can't help myself!

Dd has eaten less than 20 oz of formula (in a 24 hour period) for 2 days in a row now. She's got her 4-month check up on Monday, but I'm worried. I see ribs. There is nothing about her that resembles squishy baby.

I even went as far as to taste her formula. Yes, I tasted it to see if there's something about it that is disgusting. To be honest, it is SO sweet that it curls my toenails. I wouldn't want to eat it. I realize it's meant to be packed with all sorts of stuff to get the babies nourished, but man, that stuff is nasty! I'm thinking that she's bored with it. I go up to her with a 4 oz bottle of the same stuff every stinkin day of her life, and she's had it. *insert laugh track*

Maybe it's her bottles? Do I need an even faster flow nipple?

Gahh!!!!

Comment

alison, which bottles are you using and which nipple are you using? She's 4 months right? I use the Avent bottles and I would say at that point she is probably ready for the #2 nipple at least.

Big big hugs!
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Re: Dd hungry but will not eat - help, please

Alison, have you tried any baby cereal with her? 4 mo is the age that we had to start Aidan on it.

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                            alison, which bottles are you using and which nipple are you using? She's 4 months right? I use the Avent bottles and I would say at that point she is probably ready for the #2 nipple at least.

Big big hugs!
                            I use Avent with #3 nipples.

She's so distracted when she eats. I've started facing a blank wall, and am having her face away from me. She manages to twist her whole body to look back up at me.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                              Alison, have you tried any baby cereal with her? 4 mo is the age that we had to start Aidan on it.

Kris

No, I haven't tried this yet. What do you mean you had to start Aidan on it? Did his pediatrician suggest it because he was small?

ETA: I just mentioned rice cereal to dh, and he said "what, like Rice Krispies?" Wow, we really are new at this!
                              Last edited by alison; 12-30-2009, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Gerber makes baby cereals (think mush). Lots of parents try rice cereal mixed with formula as a first meal of solids. But, you could just as easily try mashed banana (no need to do anything special, just mash a regular banana until it is smooth), applesauce, pureed pears, or a pureed veggie.
                                Kris

Comment

Working...
                                X