Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dd hungry but will not eat - help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right. And actually, in Germany, Alison, they make a chocolate cereal for babies that I think even starts at 4 months! LOL Of course, that wouldn't fly here in America unless they offered a low fat chocolate baby food version. LOL Ahhh, we Americans!

With each of my kids I introduced solids (ie the baby cereals for 4 mo and up) at a different age. Andrew and Aidan both started at ~4 months. This is a judgment call that I made on my own. Though I was very dedicated to the idea of soley breastfeeding (I used my breastmilk to mix the cereal) I also had a feeling for the fact that it seemed like baby wasn't getting enough or was ready for more. That is a gut feeling that I had and it was different with each child.

Aidan was very tiny and a very lazy feeder and he was very similar to how you have described Maya. Feeding him cereal was a big boost for both of us.

Of course, it is an individual decision and I'm not saying that what I did is necessarily what someone else should do!

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I agree with Kris - and cereal may help her sleep longer at night, cause it will fill up her tummy more.

I know, it's been 12 years since I went through this, but it worked for us. I think we started before 4 months.

Lynn

Comment

It's Reflux and the reason she would see and then scream whenever she saw her bottle was because she associated it with pain. That also explains why she was only eating a couple of ounces at a time to take the edge off her hunger.

She's on Zantac now. It'll still take some time until she can be friends with her bottle again.

Just thought I'd update. Who'd have thought she'd develop this over time?!
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Re: Dd hungry but will not eat - help, please

Poor thing!

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Awe! Hopefully you'll have some peace of mind now! Keep us posted!
            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Keep us posted Alison... I hope the Zantac will help smooth out the sleeping/eating pattern

Comment

Thank you, everyone! I'm hopeful the Zantac will get dd back on track. I've only heard of the little ones getting relief from reflux with it (R and TenE), and didn't know the signs that a 4-month old exhibits.

Hopefully this will mean more sleep for mom and dad, too!

Comment

I could tell a difference in Robert in two doses, so I hope your little one does the same - hang in there!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                    I could tell a difference in Robert in two doses, so I hope your little one does the same - hang in there!
                    I remember you reporting back that it was like night and day, very soon after you'd seen R's pediatrician. I can't really tell yet, since M's got such an aversion to her bottles. She's all tears when I bring the bottle anywhere near her.

I'm honestly thinking about buying new bottles from a different company, so that she doesn't recognize them and immediately associate them with hurting.

Of course, I'm a bit hesitant to invest in all new bottles unless we decide to have another kid. . Oh how quickly the memories of pregnancy and delivering fade....

Comment

Alison, what about doing a cup feeding here and there. At about 6 mo most babies have enough control to drink (carefully and messily) from a small cup. Would M tolerate that?

Otherwise, try a completely different bottle, get just one or two to see if she will take it.
                      Kris

Comment

Sorry you both are going through this!!! Hang in there!
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                        X