Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

please help me brainstorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help me brainstorm

Please help me come up with ways of breaking dd's association of her bottle with pain. We're pretty certain it's reflux that is causing her feeding issues. (BTW: I started with rice cereal mixed with formula, and she loves it (maybe it's because she's half Asian! HA!)).

She only accepts her bottle if she's half asleep. If I see that she's hungry during the day, even grabbing for a burpie signals to her that she's going to be fed, which in turn, she knows is painful. So... I've started feeding her without a burpie, and what falls on the floor, falls on the floor (to dh's chagrin). Oh well.

Dd only takes 10 oz of formula during her waking hours. She'll have another 4 before bedtime and that is it ALL DAY. Overnight, she'll wake up one time and drink 4 oz. That makes a total of 18. Ayaiyai.

So, do you have any good ideas for how to camouflage her bottle? I tried a cup feeding like Kris suggested. It's oh so messy...

I thought I could try putting a sock on her bottle...

Any ideas?! TIA
    married to an anesthesia attending

I forgot to mention, we use Avent bottles and I bought a couple Dr. Brown's bottles. She still knows they're bottles.

Comment

This probably wouldn't make a difference, but what about those new glass bottles with colorful silicone covers (I only know about these because I got a pink one for my baby shower)? They are bright colors and have a different feel to them...

http://www.babyearth.com/babylife-mi...ottle-4oz.html

Good luck!!
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Re: please help me brainstorm

What about a Nuby sippy cup? They have really soft nipples that I think even smaller babies could handle. But they look like a sippy cup and have wide handles on the sides.

As for non nipple feeding options you could try a syringe but I think it would be tedious for a full feeding. We have 60 mL syringes but that's only 2 ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

What about one of these: http://greatinventions.tv/products/105.php

(I'm really no help at all!)
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I'm so sorry Alison. This would be just... tremendously difficult.

I second the suggestion for the 2 oz syringes--- they use them in the NICU I think... If you can get her to like the formula taste again, she may be more willing to take the bottle later on.

You are very close to being able to do some solid feeding. And some sippy cups are really bottle-like now, but she may not have the sucking strength she needs to drink from a sippy yet.

Can you get a consult with an occupational therapist for babies for this problem? I came across an occ therapist at a zoo of all places. She works with little babies on alternative eating-- like drinking through a straw (obviously for older babies-- like past 12 months), but that kind of health worker could have some suggestions for you.

I'd be calling the peds office constantly about this issue. Not being able to eat is a huge problem.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I would definitely be calling your ped as often as necessary.

I can't remember if M is on a special formula, but if the taste/smell were different, it may help.

Otherwise, I would try the syringe feeding as well.

I wish there were some easy fix for this. I cannot imagine how stressful this must be for you. Hang in there.
              Kris

Comment

Hmmm. Could you let her play with an empty bottle so she can get more comfortable with it again outside of meal time? Try giving her some apple juice to see if she will go for a sweeter taste?

How incredibly frustrating, Alison.

I hope she is back to drinking well soon!

Kris

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Before my milk came in, we had to supplement breastfeeding with forumla. Since we wanted BabyK to learn to nurse, bottles were not allowed. There were three options offered to us:

1- syringe feeding. This was my preferance but the nurse that was on duty when we were ready to try it was squimish about using a syringe because she thought that the baby could aspirate.

2- feeding about 15 cc at a time with a little cup. It was a rubbery, rectangular cup with a tiny trough on one end. We'd sort of seat BabyK upright and squeeze the cup near his mouth and a little forumla would move into the trough. Then he'd slurp it. This worked well and was not too messy -- it was even easier if we seated him on the sink. It was amazing that he could do this even at 2 days old.

3- attaching a tiny catheter to my breast so he'd get formula from the catheter when he nursed. This was the peditrician's preferred method because it did not replace nursing or affect my milk flow. (I know this is not an issue for you.) I didn't like this because it irritated my nipple. You may be able to try a variation of this if M uses a pacifier or something like that.
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I'm taking her in. She's lethargic and only wants to sleep.

Comment

Oh Alison - that is not good. Those are classic signs of dehydration. I hope you can get this turned around. Let us know what the ped says.
                      Kris

Comment

I'm so sorry alison - I hope the ped can help, hang in there!
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Keep us updated. I hope tge pedi can help.

Kris

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

That is so scary! I hope to hear that everything is all better soon!
                            -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                              X