Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Carseats - very confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
    Ok, so an infant seat that can be carried is a must. Got it. Another follow up question though. If I get a seat that comes with a base would a convertible or regular car seat fit in the same base or would I need a different base? Obviously both seat would have to be made by same manufacturer.
    Convertibles don't use a base. You just latch them in to the hooks in the seat (your car is newer than a 2002, I'm sure). The base will come with the carrier seat, so it's not a separate expense.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
      I'm using the Graco snugride infant carseat all the time w/ a snap n' go for longer trips. The carseat is heavy for me to carry and post-section, I was really not supposed to lift that much. However, DrK made a good point when i asked about taking the baby to/fro without the seat when the car is in the garage --- the baby is tiny and we could accidentally twist/hurt his limbs if we tried removing him from the carseat when it was attached to the car (i.e. with the baby at a 90 degree angle to us instead of in front of us).
      I find this surprising. For both kids, I have had the Britax Roundabout. Both were born in the winter in Wisconsin. Caleb was only about 5 pounds 8 oz when we brought him home and Sophie was around 6 pounds at discharge.

We NEVER had issues with twisting their limbs around while strapping them in.
      Kris

Comment

What Jenn said and that with the infant seat, if you have two cars you could just purchase another base (taking the seat to which ever car you're in) instead having to buy two car seats. When the baby moves to the convertible seat, you will have to buy 2 seats if you want one for each car. There is no base and the convertible seats are even bigger and heavier. You could do it, but I would not recommend constantly having to move the seat from car to car, I would just buy 2.

Comment

It's actually very easy to buckle the infant carrier into your second car without a base. We decided not to get another base because they are primarily in my car and it only takes a few seconds to buckle it into DH's car if needed.

Also even at nine-months-old we still keep DS2 in the carseat when in a restaurant.
          Last edited by Chrisada; 01-10-2010, 01:04 PM.

Comment

We used a Graco SnugRide (around $75) with both girls. It only weighs 6lbs and was easy for me to carry right after both c/s. I can't advise on getting an infant seat enough. Wherever you go you always have a safe spot for the baby to snooze. Both my girls actually took many naps in their infant seats when they were newborns - I had a BundleMe and put that over the straps and then they were swaddled on top of that. If you go to a restaurant or someone else's house, the baby has a place to sit, especially important before they can sit on their own. And as others mentioned, the ability to transfer them while sleeping is HUGE! I used the SnugRide until around 9 months both times. As was also mentioned, you don't NEED a second base if you won't use it in the other car often. When I flew with DD1 I took the SnugRide (no base) and just used the seat belt in the rental car to strap her in each time. It hasn't been mentioned but infants are also the most safe in an infant bucket-style carrier. Though they can go into a convertible starting at either 6-8lbs per manufacturer recommendations, I felt much better having them in the smaller seat with a deeper shell. (Also DD1 left the hospital at 5.5 lbs so she did require the infant carrier.)

After the infant seat DD1 moved into a Britax Boulevard and stayed there rear-facing until age 2.75. At that point DD2 needed that seat so DD1 turned forward facing in a Graco Nautilus that converts to a backless booster eventually and will be her last and final seat. The Boulevard that DD2 is currently in goes up to 65lbs so when she turns forward facing in another year and a half or so she can stay in that seat.

One other thing, children and babies should not be buckled in with very heavy coats or snowsuits on. Babies should be layered with something like a fleece jacket and then buckled in and blankets or an alternative cover should be used over top of them.

Some helpful links:
            http://www.car-safety.org/
            http://www.carseatdata.org/

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
              I find this surprising. For both kids, I have had the Britax Roundabout. Both were born in the winter in Wisconsin. Caleb was only about 5 pounds 8 oz when we brought him home and Sophie was around 6 pounds at discharge.

We NEVER had issues with twisting their limbs around while strapping them in.
              I assume that when you strapped them in, you had the carseat on a table or something and you were standing in front of it. His concern was attempting to take the baby in and out of the carseat when the carseat was attached to the car, facing the back of the seat, and we are standing beside it -- working in a smaller space and at an unusual angle.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I assume that when you strapped them in, you had the carseat on a table or something and you were standing in front of it. His concern was attempting to take the baby in and out of the carseat when the carseat was attached to the car, facing the back of the seat, and we are standing beside it -- working in a smaller space and at an unusual angle.
                I, and I'm sure, others do this when I want to use the Baby Bjorn instead of taking the carrier. You'll get the hang of it, it just takes practice like everything else.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                  I, and I'm sure, others do this when I want to use the Baby Bjorn instead of taking the carrier. You'll get the hang of it, it just takes practice like everything else.
                  Yes. This was all the time with DS2 since I always wore him when we were out and about.

Comment

Well the Roundabout, which she uses, is a full size carseat, not a portable carrier. Pretty soon you become a pro at strapping your baby in backwards to a carseat strapped to a car.

Comment

The Roundabout does not come out of the car. It is a convertible seat. It is not that hard to do. I found it to be the easiest of the half a dozen car seats that we have used.

I don't like the bucket carriers and have seen WAY to many recalls where the bucket releases from the base in a crash. I can't justify that risk.
                      Kris

Comment

We used the Graco SnugRide up until she was about 12 months. I have the jjcole bundleme too for it-- a must have for weather that is a little chilly IMO. I totally love it. Way better than blankets.

I never used the *travel system*. I only bought strollers that can be used for babies older than 3 mos in fact. They are usually lots cheaper and to me seem more user friendly... I dont' like to stroll tiny babies.

Good luck!

THe Snugride infant car seat we got was only around 80 I think. We buy most of that from ToysRUs when they are on sale.

I got our Britax convertible car seat (LOVE it-- can't remember the style, I think it's a boulevard) from a hot link here at imsn to albee.com (I think that's the place, not 100%)-- basically they have closeout sales on expensive car seats that are brand new- just the previous year's colors, etc. I saved enough to make the price of the Britax in line with the price of the other convertible car seats on the market.
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. I think I finally figured out what I need (which is 3 car seats). I think I'll just concentrate on the infant seat right now and then be on the look out for a Britax on sale meanwhile. This thread has been tremendously helpful.

One last thing though, DH's car is 2001 does that mean we need a special seat for it or pretty much all of them can be attached with seat belts?

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                            Thank you for all the replies. I think I finally figured out what I need (which is 3 car seats). I think I'll just concentrate on the infant seat right now and then be on the look out for a Britax on sale meanwhile. This thread has been tremendously helpful.

One last thing though, DH's car is 2001 does that mean we need a special seat for it or pretty much all of them can be attached with seat belts?
                            They can all be attached with seat belts, the old fashioned way, as I call it. If the seat belt isn't locking the seats come with a locking clip - its all explained in the instructions.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

They can all be attached with seat belts if your car isn't equipped with LATCH. It's just leaves less to screw up with LATCH.

You *may* not need 3 seats. In my experience, one car generally gets designated as the family car, and if everyone is going out at once, you go in that rather than sometimes in mom's/sometimes in dad's. You're right to watch for sales on Britax -- they discount big time when the new season's patterns come out. I scored my first 2 for less than the regular cost of 1 when the LATCH system came out (and I bought seats that didn't have it b/c we were driving a 2000 car).

Comment

I may be the oddball out, but I hated the infant carrier seat. Usually left it in the car and would just wear the baby. Would come and and leave the seat in the car, bring in the baby. But I'm lazy and would rather wear the kid than carry the heavy seat. My Chicco C1 is a comfy stroller and if I took the sleeping baby out of the seat and laid him in the stroller, he stayed asleep. All of mine would (the girls had an Aprica stoller). I've never liked lugging around the carrier with a baby in it. Or without. LOL
                                Veronica
                                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                                X