Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Carseats - very confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carseats - very confused

I'm with v-girl. I didn't even use the infant seat with Kai. If I pulled a sleeping baby out of the carseat, he fell right back to sleep in the wrap. He has been in the Boulevard since birth. I don't use a stroller either though. When they were little they both went right back to sleep when we got home. By the time that became an issue with Daegan the thing was too heavy to carry anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I think you need an infant car seat if you hope to ever go to a restaurant (for example) with a sleeping baby. Also, I second everyone who said that the value of being able to carry sleeping baby in carseat into the house is priceless.

You can always wear the baby when it is warmer etc but I can't imagine not having the infant seat as an option in the cold or when baby is sleeping!

I have always used an infant seat for the first 9-12 months and then a toddler seat for afterwards. 2 seats that meet different needs. I never felt baby sat safely in the larger seats even with the special headrest.

I wouldn't plan right now based on whether or not you want another baby. Just plan for this one.

Kris

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I have another stupid question. If I decide to get a car seat from ebay or Craigslist, how old is too old? The reviews for new ones say that the older models are more convenient, but I'm not sure how far back is safe. There haven't been any recalls since 2002.

Comment

I think the rule is nothing older than 7 years. I will say though that I cannot imagine the kind of shape a used car seat would be in. Ours are, well, pretty gross even after a thorough washing. After poop, pee, vomit, crushed cheerios, spilled milk, etc. I just wouldn't pass it on.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

That and you never really know if it has been in a crash of some sort. I wouldn't chance a used car seat unless you know the previous owner well.
            Kris

Comment

Don't get a used seat. You can never be sure that it wasn't in a crash. I think you are overthinking this. Go to target, get an infant seat and be done with it. This is small potatoes. I promise!

Comment

I agree -- absolutely do not get a used seat unless you know who it came from and that it hasn't been in an accident. Even then, considering the horrors our carseats have suffered...

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                  I agree -- absolutely do not get a used seat unless you know who it came from and that it hasn't been in an accident. Even then, considering the horrors our carseats have suffered...
                  Yes to this.

Comment

On second thought, I guess I let my kids continue to ride in their washed and hosed down carseats. Still, gross things happen to carseats. Bleh.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                      On second thought, I guess I let my kids continue to ride in their washed and hosed down carseats. Still, gross things happen to carseats. Bleh.
                      They get so gross don't they! I guess that's why I said not to overthink it. We bought Zoe a really expensive seat. She had an accident (diarrhea). I never got the smell out. Ultimately I replaced this crazy expensive seat with a cheaper target one.

The cover gets washed a LOT. LOL

Comment

I know, I overthink everything. Which is why I try not to think period, because otherwise it gets out of hand. I'm trying to desperately grasp at final straws of control. Thanks for bearing with me, I'll go ahead and order a new one. As usual, you've all been a great source of information.

Comment

Julie, I didn't mean it in a negative way. It occurred to me while I was in the shower that you might think that. I get myself stuck on little details and I can torment myself and not get things done.

Here is a secret. I got so wrapped up in worrying about alex's birth (he is baby #3) and details like crib and car seat that I .... Actually ended up buying the best seat I could find while I was in LABOR with him. I'm serious. Picture me walking through shopko in labor stopping at seats between contractions having to pick a seat before I could give in and go to labor and delivery. I perseverated for so long about what to buy because we had two other carseats and a small car. I was worried about getting a carseat that would fit.

Just so you know, at the end of the day the carseats didn't all fit in together. They squeezed in together when we shut both doors.

So. Consider that my words were meant with love and kindness. If I lived nearby, I would cook you a German meal, clean your house for you and help you pick a carseat.

Kris

Comment

Kris, it didn't even cross my mind that you can say anything in a negative way. I agree that I should just buy whatever new seat I like and stop agonizing over it or I'll also end up in Babies R'Us while in labor still trying to figure out which one is better.

One of the reasons I'm obsessing over this is because we were gifted lots of stuff (for which I'm totally grateful for) and my mom bought 99% of clothes/blankets, so I feel like the only item I got any say over was the diaper bag.

ETA: diapers.com is having a sale on some Britax models/colors. From $145 for Roundabout to $180 for Marathon. Are these good prices? MIL has offered to get both the infant and this one. Should I take her up on it?
                            Last edited by Vishenka69; 01-12-2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

If shipping is included those are great prices!
                              Wife to PGY5 ortho resident
                              ~~~~~
                              SAHM to 3

Comment

Yes to both questions. Good prices (diapers.com is also on ebates, 1%, but hey - it's not nothin'), and let MIL buy them. Why not?

Comment

Working...
                                X