Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pediatric Neurology visit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least your DH was able to get some clear and non-scary information out of the doc.

We're seriously considering pulling the "dr. card" to get DD a ped-derm appt. Actually my OB said that she did it with her kids and suggested we do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
      UGH- I'm sorry she was an idiot (on behalf of peds neurologists everywhere). I'm glad your husband was able to translate into normal people language.

Keep us posted.

Jenn

PS- I've been known to use the doctor card upon occasion. Rarely but when used judiciously, it's can be very effective.
      Thanks everyone. I was worried you would think I was being one of those crazy new moms.

And thank you Jenn! I was hoping you would pop in and give me your opinion on how she handled me. The validation feels good.
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Ummm, I use the doctor card all the time... For me, for my kids, all the time... No guilt here- I figure we pay in to this system, there should be some perk. And when we tried to get an appointment "the right way" to see ENT, it took forever and finally DH just walked us in, and the attendings all rolled their eyes when he told them he "tried to get an appointment" thru the regular channels. They said, *You WORK here, you don't need to do all that!*

Play that doctor card, girl!
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
          Seriously. You have to. As Peggy said, it's one of the few true perks. Is it right that we *get* different treatment? Maybe not, but the fact is that we do, and I'm not willing to take a risk of something falling through the cracks, or possibly not really understanding what's going on b/c the docs felt the need to dumb it down for the "general population".

Comment

Thanks again everyone. As always, you continue to be the best support system during times like this.

A little update- DH was able to get us in at the out patient lab at the hospital. The tech tried once (unsuccessfully) and then sent us right up to the peds unit (there isn't a children's hospital here). One of the peds nurses looked but couldn't find a vein so she brought in the peds PA. She had to look a while but she found one in her foot on the first try. My baby is a bit chubby (20 pounds 14 oz at 7 months old) and I know she is a hard stick. They had to use the little light and that red-light-vein-searching-thingy (sorry dont know what it's called!) just to barely see a vein. I'm more pissed at the nurse at the Nero office now. Clearly she wasn't going to get it and her pissy attitude towards me was unnecessary!

DH was with me and I was more prepared for it today. The baby was extremely upset, but I was able to deal with it. Next up, MRI.

Comment

Be aware that DD will be sedated for the MRI. And it may be a fair bit of meds. When they did C's MRI he was out of it for more than a day. It was awful.
              Kris

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
                Ummm, I use the doctor card all the time... For me, for my kids, all the time... No guilt here- I figure we pay in to this system, there should be some perk. And when we tried to get an appointment "the right way" to see ENT, it took forever and finally DH just walked us in, and the attendings all rolled their eyes when he told them he "tried to get an appointment" thru the regular channels. They said, *You WORK here, you don't need to do all that!*

When DrK and I were dating, I landed in the emergency room. He'd just finished his shift at another hospital and showed up in his scrubs. I was absolutely amazed at how much the experience changed when he arrived. Take advantage of the professional courtesy.

BTW, doctors aren't the only ones who do this. A million years ago, I dated a chef. When we went to fine resturants, the chef would come out to speak with him, show him cuts of meat before they were prepared for us, etc. Don't think that this doesn't happen in every profession.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                  BTW, doctors aren't the only ones who do this. A million years ago, I dated a chef. When we went to fine resturants, the chef would come out to speak with him, show him cuts of meat before they were prepared for us, etc. Don't think that this doesn't happen in every profession.
                  Gooooooooood point! I didn't think of that.

We had PT today. She cried, but the therapist was really great when I talked to her about everything that has gone on. I called one of my bosses at work this morning. I need to take off from working the Census for the next week to get these things done for the baby. It's all too much. Thankfully they were really great about it.

Comment

Just a quick update: All of the baby's blood work came back clear! It took weeks to get it back because the hospital had to send it to Duke (not in my city/area). We've been very happy to have that behind us!

Tomorrow we go for the first fitting of her helmet. Wish me luck. I've been a nervous wreak for weeks and I just hope things start to slow down and move in the right direction... regarding the baby's health. Thanks again everyone for all the support and suggestions!!

Comment

What a relief! Good luck tomorrow!
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                        what a relief! Good luck tomorrow!
                        ditto!

Comment

So glad things are looking up! Good luck with the helmet fitting. I'm guessing that's another tear-filled experience (probably for both of you).
                          -Deb
                          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Thinking of you today.
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Just now seeing this post. I know you are so relieved right now. I am so happy for you!

Comment

I'm glad things are getting better and that the results were good. I hope the helmet fitting goes well.
                                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                                X