Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baby blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No advice here. Just hugs and support.

Comment

First: I totally agree with what has been said here re: SAHM being really hard -- even when it was your first choice/hearts desire. I *wanted* to be home w/my kiddo, and still had a really hard time with the adjustment. It's not for everyone. I've often thought people who manage to find a part time gig have the best of both worlds.

Second: It just occurred to me that you just stopped breastfeeding. That can wreak havoc on your hormones (along with everything else about having a baby). Your body is going back (as close as it will ever get) to the way it was before you got pregnant, and that's an adjustment. Your change in mood/well being might be related to that, too.

Third: Hug.

Comment

Thank you for all the support. I think I finally realized I'm hormonal beyond belief when at the mention of a second (by an innocent bystander) I wanted to scream and hurl something. The though of yet another being clamoring for my attention was just too much. I don't know why I thought I'd have it all sorted out by now.

Comment

Staying at home was much harder than going to work for me. I hope you will talk to your doctor. Medication, if needed can make a huge difference (in a good way).
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

For me at about 7 months I was like "is this it? Really?" I was feeling SO guilty that I was NOT just over the moon about being a beck and call girl to my little tyrant. For me the first 12 months were like DOG years. There were LOTS of highs but the lows were pretty low for me. There was absolutely no "me" time and it was a hard transition.

I think what you're feeling is totally normal but I wish I had talked to my doc.

Also, it might feel like every day is basically the same but it won't be like this forever. It just seems like it will be. Sending cyber hugs.
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Big hugs!!!
              Brandi
              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

No advice here, I went through some HUGE life changes (divorce with #1, job loss with #2) during the first 12 month months of both my DD's lives so I no doubt had depression problems but I was never able to determine if it was because of the hormonal changes, PPD, or just my circumstances at the time. I would venture to guess it was a combination.

I just want you to know that parenting doesn't always come naturally, for me that was most definitely the case. Hang in there, do the best you can with what you've got, and know you have support here.
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I just wanted to say that if you have a babysitter, use at least 2/3 of that time just to do stuff for you. You don't need to run around and do errands. Most of these the baby can come with you easily and it provides for an *outing* for the baby. The only errand I'd do when the sitter had my kid was to go to a Dr appt or go to lunch with my DH or something like that. None of the basic shopping, the groceries, the bank. The kids can go to those kinds of things.

You sound completely normal to me. I go in and out of *blues* all the time. Plus the weather is changing- does that affect you?
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Thinking of you, Vishenka.

Comment

I talked to my doc yesterday and she said that since the hormonal wave has crashed pretty suddenly and right after I stopped BF'ing, she thinks that it's related to the hormonal changes as a result of that. Said to see how I feel in a couple of weeks and if nothing improves to give her a call. She didn't seem very concerned about PPD. My body does go super hormonal whenever there's a big change (getting off BC, pregnancy, etc.) but it has always been very temporary. What kind of signs would point to PPD vs just plain hormones?

Comment

Not having ever been diagnosed w PPD or known anyone personally, my opinion may not count.....but I would think there's probably not much difference except maybe in severity and duration of symptoms...if it's just hormones, you should feel better soon....if you don't it's probably PPD. If you feel suicidal or homicidal, probably PPD, but other than that I would think everything else is in the realm of both hormonal and PPD.
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I'm definitely not suicidal and I don't know if sometimes wanting to seriously hurt DH (after he says things like "So what have you been doing all day?") counts as homicidal. I'll keep sticking to my glass or two of alcohol with dinner and give it a couple of weeks. Hopefully the hormones will settle in but some happy pills don't sound too bad either.

Comment

Just seeing this thread now. At 6 to 7 months I was having a mental crisis. I felt lost, exhausted, bored & appathetic. I didn't get the time away from baby like you have but you are neglecting yourself just as I was and there is only so long you can neglect yourself for the benefit of others before you breakdown. Forgo an errand or chore a week & do something you would enjoy. Since you have a babysitter why not start yoga again? I remember you really liking it. Try setting a just for you activity that you would like to do each week. I think meds would help too. I hope things get better soon.
                            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                              I don't know if sometimes wanting to seriously hurt DH (after he says things like "So what have you been doing all day?") counts as homicidal.
                              I wanted to do that back on the island and I didn't even have a baby to occupy all my time.
                              Cristina
                              IM PGY-2

Comment

No, not homicidal. At least if the judge is female and had ever had a child.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                                X