Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tell me you've lived through this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have that!
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Family day had me in tears. I can't take DD anywhere. I'm so frustrated. Talked to my mom for a little bit and her unsolicited advice was to spank her. I can't do that in public. Not even sure I could do that ever. DH asked me in such a sweet way if she is like this all of the time. Yeah. She is, and I can't stand it. She used to love going places and being in stores. Everything is different and I never know what the heck she wants. I'm thinking about childcare options because I'm just emotionally broken down and feeling lost.
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
        Family day had me in tears. I can't take DD anywhere. I'm so frustrated. Talked to my mom for a little bit and her unsolicited advice was to spank her. I can't do that in public. Not even sure I could do that ever. DH asked me in such a sweet way if she is like this all of the time. Yeah. She is, and I can't stand it. She used to love going places and being in stores. Everything is different and I never know what the heck she wants. I'm thinking about childcare options because I'm just emotionally broken down and feeling lost.
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Ugh. I'm so sorry. Have you talked with her pediatrician? Could there be some underlying condition that is exacerbating things? Hearing check, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
            Ugh. I'm so sorry. Have you talked with her pediatrician? Could there be some underlying condition that is exacerbating things? Hearing check, maybe?
            Yes, for sure meet with her pediatrician. Big hugs to you mama
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'd take her to the pediatrician and maybe have a developmental screening done. Poor her and poor you! I'm so sorry you're going through this.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                Yes, for sure meet with her pediatrician. Big hugs to you mama
                We have results back and she is starting back to speech in the next few weeks. Not sure of the date. Last hearing check went very well. She gets another hearing screening in about a week. There is a language delay, no doubt. She's improving, but it doesn't seem to matter on days like this. I can't seem to get through to her when we are out in public.

I want to stop taking her places unless I know that its something she can do and I can handle: gym, preschool, playground/chickfila playroom. I worry that if I stop taking her places she'll never learn to behave. Is that crazy talk? Should I continue to push it as practice?

I'm still working on making the flashcards. The link above was helpful but didn't have a lot of the activities that are a problem area for us. Can you imagine what the pedi is going to think when I ask her to tell me why my kid won't act right out in public?? I'm too embarrassed to even bring it up.

Comment

Yes, it's crazy talk. She's not going to just suddenly behave differently. It's setting her up for failure and you for insanity. Stop.

No, it isn't a weird thing to being up to your ped. It could be a clue to whatever the underlay issue is and could be a HUGE help in figuring things out.

Comment

Is she difficult at home or just out? What if you just stop going places for a while? Maybe she's getting overstimulated and can't focus. Extra practice isn't going to help that. Just more time for her brain to mature.

How old is she again? It could be a developmental stage as well. I think 3.5 y is the worst. Both D and K were just awful. Now that K is almost 4 it's better. I'm expecting another bad few months around 4.5 for K if he's like his brother. Come up think of it, they seem worse around the 1/2 year mark....uh oh. Phe is going to be 2.5 in a few months....
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                      Yes, it's crazy talk. She's not going to just suddenly behave differently. It's setting her up for failure and you for insanity. Stop.

No, it isn't a weird thing to being up to your ped. It could be a clue to whatever the underlay issue is and could be a HUGE help in figuring things out.
                      Yes, bring it up with the Ped. Trust us, your DD is not the first child to act out. Her saving grace is that she has a mother who is concerned about fixing the root cause of the problem.
                      Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                        Yes, bring it up with the Ped. Trust us, your DD is not the first child to act out. Her saving grace is that she has a mother who is concerned about fixing the root cause of the problem.
                        Ditto.

FWIW, K1 is about the same age as A and he had been very, um, willful, lately.
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Dragging out this old thread. We still have this problem nearly a year later. I've learned a few things, but for the most part we try to keep her outings limited to school and indoor playgrounds unless DH is with me. My next step is to visit with a more experienced Pedi here in our new city this summer. Our old pedi was good but really couldn't give me any answers. Her teachers were too burned out by the end of the school year to help. Oh well.

Anyways... my inlaws are here. We went out to dinner and as usual it was terrible with her messing with stuff in the restaurant she shouldn't be touching then laying on the floor when she didn't get her way. MIL tells me that my DH used to be the same way when he was 2 and 3... before he could communicate his wants/needs/thoughts. DH asked her what type of things did he do. It was all the stuff DD does. Why does this woman do this to me? I think my child is really messed up for months and a year later she'll casually say something about how DH did the same thing. DD really is nothing like how I was as a child so my mom and I have such a hard time figuring her out. I just pray this cycle will come to a end one of these days. Maybe once her speech is better? IKD, its very upsetting to me. I have total tunnel vision when it comes to other kids doing the same thing and its depressing when I see or read on FB about kids her age (my friends' kids) making all these great achievements like counting to 300, talking in long conversation, or learning to read, ride a bike, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

Wait, how old is she? Like 3 or 4? Not one of our 6 kiddos at that age could read, count to 300, or carry on long conversations. Don't worry about what your friends kids are doing, your sweetie is doing fine. Poor behavior when out to eat at that age is pretty normal IMHO (still not fun for mom and dad, I understand). Our oldest never made it more than 45 min in a restaurant, if that. Big hugs mama.
                            Tara
                            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

If you are concerned, look for a developmental peditrician I'm your new town. They may have some insight that the regular ped does not.

Comment

BTW, K1 is the same age as A. He is not reading or counting to 300. He's just starting to recognize letters and learning letter sounds. He can count to 20 with help but gets pretty muddled in the teens. He is average in both skills. Don't beat yourself up if your kid is not a prodegy.

Comment

Working...
                                X