Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Preschool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And it was gross--the children touch everything in class.

I couldn't get over his boogers in the playdoh that ALL the kids were playing with.

I'm super AR and one of THOSE moms, but seriously, ick! Where can I buy a bubble for dd?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
      I'll be the dissenting voice here on colds. I pulled dd from class today, because another child was sick--lethargic, head red as a strawberry, fussy, sneezing.

Don't bring your kids to activities/school thinking every other parent is ok with their child bringing home every bug on the planet if they can possibly help it.

Your child doesn't need to be in a playgroup, Gymboree class just because YOU need to get out of the house.

I realize that people have to work and can't always be home with a sick child, but I'm talking classes and fun where parents are present.

Arghhhhhhhh!
      I agree. When considering whether to send BabyK, I do consider how I'd feel if another child showed up in that conditions.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Oh no no no, I'm not saying send your kids to school when they are sick. Our preschool has rules about what is ok and what isn't. If I kept my kids home every time they had a runny nose they'd never go anywhere but if that nose is combined with other symptoms and I know its more then a cold then yes, I keep them home. Kids are going to get exposed to all kinds of things just from being around other kids whether symptoms are present or not.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Cheri is right. Most preschools have rules about what is acceptable. A child you described, Alison, would have been sent home from any preschool here. I'm a witch. I would not have pulled my child. I would have pointed out the sick child and asked to have that child isolated and sent home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
            Oh no no no, I'm not saying send your kids to school when they are sick. Our preschool has rules about what is ok and what isn't. If I kept my kids home every time they had a runny nose they'd never go anywhere but if that nose is combined with other symptoms and I know its more then a cold then yes, I keep them home. Kids are going to get exposed to all kinds of things just from being around other kids whether symptoms are present or not.
            Me, too! I wasn't suggesting that you should send a sick kids to school. Besides, that's a great way to get them thrown out of school permanently. They aren't nurses--they can't be asked to attend to your sick kids.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
              This 100%. There is a big difference between a runny nose/mild cold and a virus that causes lethargy/fever in addition. It is disrespectful to take a very sick child out to expose others, not to mention, why would a parent want to force their sick, miserable child to school?
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Happens all the time. Especially with parents whose jobs are in danger if they take "one more day". It sucks, but it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                  Happens all the time. Especially with parents whose jobs are in danger if they take "one more day". It sucks, but it's true.
                  I've been *that* parent. And I did lose a job once because of time I took off to care for Caleb when he started daycare. It really sucked since E was in med school and I was the primary breadwinner. It's a shitty position to be in, knowing that no matter what you do it is the wrong choice.
                  Kris

Comment

I didn't mean to come off as high and mighty, my apologies. I AM that parent (primary breadwinner, fully responsible for dd, pissing off my work w/time off) right now, but I still couldn't imagine taking my daughter in when she is sick. I'm not talking about the sniffles, I'm talking high fever, vomit, actually super sick. With the I-need-mommy/daddy-whimpers.

Comment

No offense taken Crystal. I've never taken them in when super sick, but when they are less than perky with the sniffles? They've gone. They can be running around at home or at school. If they aren't feverish/vomiting/really not themselves, they generally go.

Now I am lucky enough to work from home, so a day that I can't be 100% focused is okay - I just make sure that I am accurately reporting the amount of time that I actually work.
                      Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                        No offense taken Crystal. I've never taken them in when super sick, but when they are less than perky with the sniffles? They've gone. They can be running around at home or at school. If they aren't feverish/vomiting/really not themselves, they generally go.

Now I am lucky enough to work from home, so a day that I can't be 100% focused is okay - I just make sure that I am accurately reporting the amount of time that I actually work.
                        I am jealous of the WFH job!! (But you deserve it).

Comment

Working...
                        X