Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

kid birthday party etiquette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally out of her mind. I'd get the bring a plant thing if the entertainment was having the kids plant a garden -- but even then I'd supply seedlings -- which would probably be kind of a cool party for school-aged children. Even if the 1st birthday party is "all about the parents," we still just had a small party where BabyK could have cupcakes with his cousins. If they are concerned about wasteful gifts, they can tell people who ask that their child loves books and needs clothes. If they get a bunch of junk anyway, they can give unwanted toys to a charity or day care. And how hard is it to just put out a lasagna for the adults? As for the thing about the photos, I totally get that she's worried she'll forget to take picture about then she should ask someone close like a sister or friend to take some pictures.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

What a crazy person! I know the kid I just one and won't remember, but how selfish for the mother to turn it into her own gift-getting party! I already feel bad for the child.

I agree, I wouldn't go.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I think this is so weird! When we lived in Columbus, I was in a great playgroup, and we decided that for the little kids' birthdays (who didn't know they weren't getting gifts) we would either put money toward all doing something together, do no gifts, or donate gifts to charity. It worked out so well! I don't get the "potluck" thing at all. Weird!
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

A few ideas (btw, this is "MD/PhD husband")...a few ideas we were tossing around on this side of the fence: bring a bag of fertilizer with a bow...bring an undesirable plant, such as a venus flytrap, weed from the side of the road, cactus (although we like cacti), poison ivy, peyote, or a marajuana plant (with brownies for the potluck, if it were only legal), but put it in a nice pot so that you seem genuinely clueless, like the "hostess" of the b-day party.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

If she asks questions, say you had no idea what to get since you paid to have your yard professionally landscaped. This lady is unbelievable! What are the party games? "Pin the plant on the fertilizer?". "Three-legged weeding contest?". "Gunny sack seeding race?". Should all the guests wear golf cleats (BYOGC, of course) to aerate the lawn as they mingle?
            Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
              Totally out of her mind. I'd get the bring a plant thing if the entertainment was having the kids plant a garden -- but even then I'd supply seedlings -- which would probably be kind of a cool party for school-aged children. Even if the 1st birthday party is "all about the parents," we still just had a small party where BabyK could have cupcakes with his cousins. If they are concerned about wasteful gifts, they can tell people who ask that their child loves books and needs clothes. If they get a bunch of junk anyway, they can give unwanted toys to a charity or day care. And how hard is it to just put out a lasagna for the adults? As for the thing about the photos, I totally get that she's worried she'll forget to take picture about then she should ask someone close like a sister or friend to take some pictures.
              Exactly! Or maybe her HUSBAND or any of the other family members that will be there. Gezzz. The sad thing is she and her husband are professional working people and very educated. I guess selfishness knows no bounds.

I do like the idea of bringing a bag of fertilizer! I think I have half a bag in my shed that I could dress up. hahaha!! kidding... still not going!
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Make sure it's organic fertilizer!!! Ie. A bag of shit...

Comment

Does her family own the nursery too? HAHA

Comment

Asshats yes, but look at how much entertainment we have gotten out of this!!!!!!!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                    X