Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Preschooler Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preschooler Sleep

Yet another child sleep question. Adele's sleep has gone down hill for the last year, ever since she has been potty trained. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to get her to stay in her room and actually go to sleep. Her bed time is 8pm, we do her usual routine and then leave the room with her stoplight alarm clock and a small lamp on. She's always been told she can read as long as she stays in her bed and is quiet, somehow that shifted to staying in her room and is quiet, so that has become an issue because she sees it as play time. Tonight I went back to enforcing the staying in bed and books only, no toys.

Our usual night is that we put her to bed at 8pm and she comes in and out of her room at least a half dozen, usually many more, times before she finally goes to sleep around now (9:30 -10:15). I've tried not giving her an afternoon nap. Yesterday she didn't have a nap and we still struggled until 9. Today she took her nap because by lunch time it was obvious she was tired and in melt down stage but she is probably just now falling asleep at 10pm. She is (or was) a prize oriented kid so we've tried that too, offering her a surprise/toy the next morning if she would go in her room and stay there - last night I even showed her the prize hoping that would help. Not so much, the prizes have lost their effectiveness.

On really bad nights we put a child safety knob on her side of the door so that she can't get out and she usually falls right asleep after we do that but throws a big fit before hand...

I'm at a loss and would welcome any and all suggestions...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Oh and one thing I've noticed is that when she does come out to go potty she almost always then goes right to sleep. I've cut off her drinks, she gets nothing after dinner. I've also given her only water at dinner because I was told it would go through her faster (true??). Is she playing/staying up because she knows she has to go? She's still not dry when she gets up in the morning...

Comment

Can you move bedtime up? 7:30? I feel for you.
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

What time is dinner?
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Dinner is usually at 6, bedtime is at 8, but it's usually earlier because R's is 7:30 and then we put her down.

Comment

Dairy at dinner (not just milk, but cheese, ice cream, etc) has some link to nighttime wetting. What is the response when she is not dry in the AM? Vs the response when she doesn't stay in bed? Maybe she's picking her battles to an extent??

Good luck!
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

We haven't done anything with the not dry in the morning, since I've been told that is more developmental then control at her age. She wears a pull up and we just take it off and go on with the day, no mention at all if its wet or dry. I will cut out her dairy at dinner and see if that helps.

Comment

No great advice here. Our oldest used to come out of her room probably 10 times a night. She would come in and either dh or I would walk her back to her room. It was exhausting and frustrating for all involved, lol. The first time she comes out you could take her to the potty, at least that would be out of the way so to speak. I know all of our children sleep fitfully when they have to pee but don't want to get up and go. I think she has had lots of upheaval and change in the last few weeks, you can try different bedtimes, no dairy, etc. but I think in the end she just needs some time to settle in (and that time could be months). All of this will get better, just try to get your zen on in the meantime.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

It's time for a new bedtime routine. The light being on is an issue. Get one of those small, greenish, energy efficient nightlight and leave it at that. No books. She's winding herself up to play instead of using the books as a way to mellow out and self-soothe.

Comment

Dd I think you're right I'm just not looking forward to it. I need to nip in the bud what I've been doing with R too. I've been leaving books on the nightstand next to his crib because I think he's been "reading" in the morning and letting me get some more sleep in the morning but last night he was up on and off from 1-4 and wanted a book. I've created two sleeping monsters, I was hoping for a night out this weekend but I think it's going to have to wait until next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                      It's time for a new bedtime routine. The light being on is an issue. Get one of those small, greenish, energy efficient nightlight and leave it at that. No books. She's winding herself up to play instead of using the books as a way to mellow out and self-soothe.
                      I agree with this. We've always been a "no BS at bedtime" house. I think by the end of the day I'm fried, so they get in their rooms and stay there. For Mattie we read ONE story, say goodnight, turn out lights, shut door. That's it. She's just figured out her doorknob, and last night she actually came back downstairs -- I think she just realized she could. I said "Mattie - up to bed. Now." and she went (which surprised me).

If she's wearing a pullup and you don't care that it's wet, I'd probably give her one chance to use the potty, then put the doorknob thing on and let her have her fit. A few nights of that and she'll realize the game is up.

Comment

That is exactly what I did tonight Jenn. We went through the routine, she went to bed after brushing her teeth and going potty. She came out twice asking for a drink of water, I told her no and after the 3rd she is now standing on the other side of the door yanking on the door knob cover and saying mommy, mommy, mommy over and over and over. We'll see how long this goes on...

Comment

Hang in there Cheri! My guess is a couple of rough nights and then it should start to smooth out.
                          Kris

Comment

So last night she whined on the other side of the door that she needed a drink of water, after this went on for quite some time I went in there and told her she was not getting a drink of water and to go to sleep. She threw another fit so I turned off her lamp and walked out, then she really broke down but not a whining cry a scared cry. So we've determined she really is scared of the dark so I need to go out today and find the lowest wattage bulb I can find that will fit in a lamp. I'm hopeful that and the knob cover will help but it was a bad night she woke R up a couple of times with all of her screaming.

Comment

Cheri - can she climb over a gate? I wonder if leaving her door open a crack with a standard night-light would ease her fears enough.

That said, there has been a lot of turmoil and a new/increased fear is not out of line. Not that it makes it any easier for you.
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X