Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cloth Diapering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did prefolds in the beginning with D and P, but K fit in the BumGenius right away. All three came home from the hospital around 7lb4oz or so.

I also prefer Huggies over Pampers and Target brand and Publix brand. We are still using disposables at night for K and P bc both will soak through cloth and P's skin is more sensitive to the wet cloth than her brothers' skins were.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We did prefolds the first few months too. I loved them. We used the prowrap covers until the stump fell off, since they are cut a little lower. We started using Fuzzibunz perfect size smalls for night time and outings around 8 lbs, but he outgrew them so quickly I'm glad we didn't buy very many. We switched over to Fuzzibunz mediums when he outgrew the infant prefolds and I went back to work, around 5 months/18 lbs.

Comment

We didi disposables for the first few weeks (or months, when we were more overwhelmed) and then switched to prefolds.
        I shamefacedly admit that we're all on disposables now with our littlest for the last few months. DW and our babysitter were rebelling against the cloth, our wraps were all faililng and leaking after so many washes and five kids, the velcro was not holding, and I was sick and tired of washing everything by myself. And I was too cheap to buy new wraps for a half a kid.
        And I quit making wipes too - it made no sense to wash them in their owl load when we weren't washing diapers. So we've embraced the costco case'o'wipes.
        More power to you!
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

ST - if you can be swayed at all, I'd bet that you could buy a new washer and still save money on CD over disposables!! I know that Davita used G diapers at one time maybe she'll chime in.

T&S - we used prefolds and newborn covers right from the start with DD but it was a luxury to buy an extra size that doesn't get used for long.

There are several long cloth diapering threads floating around here.

Comment

I'm pretty lazy about my cloth diapering. We did disposables until DS was around 8 lbs so I could start with the small prefolds instead of newborn. I also use disposables whenever we'll be out of the house for long enough to need a diaper change and whenever we travel. It still saves a ton of money, even if you do a mix of both.
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We started out with cloth diapers many years ago because we were trying to be environmentally conscious. What we discovered was that the washing process wasted a lot of water and canceled out any benefit that we thought we might be getting. The diapers really needed to be washed on the hottest setting and at times we needed to use bleach. Beyond that, it was messy. We actually had diapers of all sizes that were made of cloth but were shaped like actual diapers and even had clasps to hold them together at the same place that regular diapers had. These also came with inserts (which were useless for a breastfeeding baby). I felt really guilty switching over to disposable diapers, but afterwards that guilt was replaced by relief! If I were making the choice now, I think I would try the gdiapers (but no flushing). You could go with a biobag for a garbage can with lid (or get smaller ones for individual liners)..

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

For A we did do disposables for the first week or so, until her cord fell off and she weighed a little more. For R we just waited until the cord fell off because I couldn't get the diapers to fold down enough to not rub it, he was big enough at birth to wear the smallest BG size.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Good info!

Maybe I'll buy a few of the gDiapers and disposable inserts (or something similar) and just see how it goes. I'd be all for buying a new washer, but the one we have isn't going anywhere until we move next year (it's so heavy our landlord offered to pay us $100 for it just so no one has to move it again!) and most the apartments we would be looking at already have a set.

T&S--you might want to consider this program. There is no way we can do all cloth, but if you want to try it, this seems like a good way to do it. I personally know someone who has and said it was a great deal.

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ.../tryclothfor10
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

The trial program looks great. (and I love jillians drawers). Whether you do the set trial or not, it is a good idea to try a few different styles before you commit. I'd heard great things about BGs, but for some reason they do not work on my son.

Comment

Originally posted by Selu View Post
                      The trial program looks great. (and I love jillians drawers). Whether you do the set trial or not, it is a good idea to try a few different styles before you commit. I'd heard great things about BGs, but for some reason they do not work on my son.
                      This is so true. Your kid's body type will make a big difference. This is also true of clothing (we got a huge bag of freebies from a friend with a kid who is short and squat...my dd is long and lean and most things do not fit her )
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

ST - We have some Flip diapers (www.cottonbabies.com, the makers of Bum Genius) and they sell disposable inserts for them. I bought some of our Flips off craigslist and they came with a bunch of the disposable inserts. We used them when DS would get diaper rash since you can't use cream, but they cost about the same as a disposable and I'd still have to wash the covers so it seemed silly, but they worked fine. With the flips and cloth inserts you do have less laundry once they start pooping less since you can reuse the cover and just change the stay-dry insert till they poop, but with your washer I would still be hesitant. If you do decided to do cloth after you move it has been much easier than I thought. I'm a working mom and it really isn't that much more laundry and our daycare just puts the dirty ones in a wet bag and I deal with them when I get home. For the daycare it really isn't any more work for them.

T&S - We also used disposables at first till the cord fell off, maybe even a while after that and then DS had no problem fitting into the BG's.

I think the trial program looks awesome. I wish I had known about that when we started. DH wanted me to pick one system and commit to it. He thought having a bunch of different ones would be too confusing.
                        Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

So cloth diaper gurus, guide me. I broke out the gDiapers today and so far so good...but no poop yet!. Dh walked in this morning and said, "what is that" but by tonight he is okay with them. We only have two shells right now (I wasn't ready to commit) and a pack of disposable inserts. I've just been putting a new insert in the same shell at each change, but on the website, they say to preload the diapers and change them that way...seems unnecessary, but am I missing something?

At any rate, I need a few more days, but I think I'm ready to commit to some type of disposable/cloth hybrid. I like the gDiapers so far, but are there any out there that are way "better?" And any place to get them cheap?
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I never used anything but BumGenius so I don't know how they compare to the g's. But I LOVED them.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I loved the prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers. We just used a variety of covers (don't remember brand right now, will check tomorrow). While I liked the BumGenius initially I don't think they held up as well as the basic prefolds do.
                              Tara
                              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

You want the cover to air out between wearings. That's probably why they recommend prestuffing them. To make you rotate covers.
                                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                                X