Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fussy baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We also had that issue. ENT takes care of it here in town. Glad you've seen improvements!
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Well, not much improved with the tongue tie clipping. When he nurses while asleep, he has a perfect latch and handles the milk flow with no problem. No popping off, no crying, just good nursing. But, when he's awake? Watch out - he pops off all the time, pulls back on the nipple, fusses - its a disaster. I'm going to pay better attention tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's just the difference of being awake vs asleep. I'm starting to think reflux.

Any opinions on whether to try meds first or dairy elimination first?
      Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

If its reflux the elimination won't help. If you eliminate it will take around a week for it all to truly get out of your system and his.

Hang in there, good luck!!
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

When you nurse while sleeping, are you sitting up or lying down? If its a difference of sitting up vs lying down it could be just a flow issue. When you are sitting up, gravity makes the milk fill his mouth faster and some babies don't like that.

Reflux was worse at night for Daegan bc he was lying down and the stomach contents sloshed up his esophagus.

But Kai hated my fast milk flow and so I nursed him sidelying for the first few months.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Meds Meds Meds. Sorry I keep saying the same thing but it really made fix numerous problems for my DD, not just feeding and sleeping issues.
            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
              When you nurse while sleeping, are you sitting up or lying down? If its a difference of sitting up vs lying down it could be just a flow issue. When you are sitting up, gravity makes the milk fill his mouth faster and some babies don't like that.

Reflux was worse at night for Daegan bc he was lying down and the stomach contents sloshed up his esophagus.

But Kai hated my fast milk flow and so I nursed him sidelying for the first few months.
              This is a very good point. If he's not spitting up a lot and/or arching his back and seeming uncomfortable in relation to eating and very shortly thereafter its probably not reflux.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post

I mean if he's sleeping while we are nursing sitting up. It seems to have less to do with his position. More to do with the fact that he probably has a weaker suck while he's sleeping. I'm also considering oversupply / over active letdown.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                  This is a very good point. If he's not spitting up a lot and/or arching his back and seeming uncomfortable in relation to eating and very shortly thereafter its probably not reflux.
                  Not a lot of spit up (a bit), but I can tell that he refluxes and swallows it back down. He IS very fussy while eating. That is my main concern at the moment. Trying to figure out while he is so fussy while nursing (flow too fast? Too slow? Reflux pain?)

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
                    Meds Meds Meds. Sorry I keep saying the same thing but it really made fix numerous problems for my DD, not just feeding and sleeping issues.
                    Thanks - I'm thinking we will do this. I'm trying to suss out whether I'm trying to cure normal baby fussies or if my mommy instincts are right and something actually is wrong.

Comment

I'd say go with your instincts. As a first-time parent, I just got the feeling DS had reflux, but I wasn't seeing all the signs, so it took me a year to ask for meds. By that time, he had so many sleep problems, it was ridiculous. (Not to say that was the only reason... As I've found with my non-reflux baby girl, I just make bad sleepers!)
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                      X