Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I'm going to lose it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, the only two rooms she can play in have either drapes or vertical blinds. Small house with lots of natural light means big windows or sliding doors everywhere!
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I had a similar problem with K1 when he was about 10 months. He used to pound on the glass doors to our fireplace and laugh at me when I told him no. I used to remove him and put him in his playpen. Eventually, he got bored with the game and moved on to trying to climb over the gate at the top of our stairs. Stinker.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

We went through this. I probably dealt with in a sucky way ... But I stayed right next to DS and let him get it out of his system. I encouraged a gentle touch, kept him safe and showed him how to touch them nicely. He would pet them like a dog and I'd praise the bejeezus out of him for being so gentle. Dh thought i was nuts. But DS was over it in a week tops and I don't think DS has touched them since. YMMV but I wanted throw it out there as an option

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
          Or squirt gun.
          I've done it. It works just as well with kids as it does dogs or cats.

Yes, my children will be scarred for life.

Comment

What fit my dd's personality is what has been mentioned already: sitting with her and letting her get it out of her system. Whenever dd knew that something she did garnered a lot of attention (high-pitched voice, firmness, lots of nos in succession), she would do whatever it was as much as she could. When she realized something was no big deal, she'd lose interest.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

My kids were in the same camp. I'd either have taken it all down until the interest passed or tried to just let them enjoy it without much fanfare so they stopped the cycle of doing the forbidden thing just for the giggles at Mommy's mad face.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                My kids were in the same camp. I'd either have taken it all down until the interest passed or tried to just let them enjoy it without much fanfare so they stopped the cycle of doing the forbidden thing just for the giggles at Mommy's mad face.
                Yes this. For me this falls in the early stages of "pick your battles". It's just not worth making an issue out of so remove the temptation of teach her how to manage the temptation. It really becomes the path of least resistance and before you know it the drapes will be a nonissue.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I guess I never really thought of teaching her to be nice to the drapes and I couldn't figure out how to safely ignore it - even though that was what my gut was saying was the solution! Thanks!
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by niener View Post
                    I vote air horn.

Me, too. Alternately, a rape whistle. Or, to spare your ears: Can't kids hear at higher decibels that adults can't hear? Have you considered a dog whistle?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                      Me, too. Alternately, a rape whistle. Or, to spare your ears: Can't kids hear at higher decibels that adults can't hear? Have you considered a dog whistle?
                      Dog whistle. Hmmmm. There's actually a website (and probably an app) for that!
                      Jen

Comment

I feel bad for your dog (Lexi?) if you go that route.
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                          I feel bad for your dog (Lexi?) if you go that route.
                          Funny - I didn't even think of the poor Lexi-dog Although I'm curious now as to her reaction. I'm thinking maybe I can train both of them Von Trapp style!

I went the ignore/gentle touching route yesterday, and she actually walked up to the drapes at one point and then walked away. I sometimes need to tell the teacher in me to STFU. Life with kid(s) is not all about "classroom management". I really do get very wound up about her not doing what she's "supposed" to do.

A baby brag to balance this out: I asked her to put her pjs away after she pulled them out of the laundry basket - and she did it! Thank you music class DH said, "This could revolutionize our household"
                          Jen

Comment

Working...
                          X