Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Toddler Struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The K brothers could be related to my boy. Nothing stopped him. Nothing stops him. Sigh. I'm sorry.
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I hope you find a wonderful sitter so that you can get settled, get a few things done and have some time to yourself before bgK arrives. And then I hope you take on all the help you can afford when she arrives. You'll need to focus on healing and recovering and hairbows and dresses!

Wife to PGY4
      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

OMG. K2 is driving me nuts. Everything is a fight. Everything. He won't get in the car. Won't take off his back pack. Won't climb into the carseat himself. Won't let me put him in the carseat. Does not want to go. But DOES want to go. Won't get out of the car. Won't get in the house. Won't stay in the house. Won't let me take off his jacket, remove his shoes, go up stairs, stay down stairs, potty, not potty, let me remove the wet diaper, remove the wet diaper himself, let me put on a fresh diaper, put on the fresh diaper himself, take a nap, but he wants to take a nap, but he won't do it, but if I say fine then stay awake, then he's still not happy, hitting and yelling at mommy to "go way!" and then becoming hysterical and practically knocking me over when I retreat . . . Every single minute has been non stop kicking, hitting, screaming, crying, and struggling. I'm 22 weeks pregnant and I'm as big as I was at 37 weeks with my first. I'm exhausted and I just physically cannot carry, lift, or wrestle with him. I'm absolutely at the end of my tether.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Put him in a safe place and LEAVE. For your own sanity.

When DD starts kicking me (and the belly), I just LEAVE. K2 is old enough to know that if you physically attack mommy, she will leave your vicinity (not abandonment but remove herself to safety). Honestly, that's a safety issue. He's going to be half your size/weight very, very soon and have a baby sister. He needs to quit it and extinction of this behavior can only be accomplished by complete isolation.

That's been my approach and it's really lessened the physical aggression.
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Yeah, I ended up leaving him in the hallway outside his bedroom while I fled downstairs. There is a gate at the top of the stairs and I was actually a little anxious trying to get it closed behind me because I thought I might loose my balance or he may try to climb over it but we managed. I really didn't have another option because we were expecting a handyman and babysitter interviewee (both here now) and I needed to be downstairs. He ended up crying in the hallway for a bit, then letting himself into his room and laying down on his bed while K1 slept. Right now, the sitter has both boys in the playroom with her. (Her idea. I told her that she didn't have to stay but she said she wanted to hang out.) She's a high school senior and seems to be managing well. Too bad she won't be available for pre-school pick ups when the baby arrives and she'll be leaving for college soon.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

DD was the same age as K2 when I was pregnant last year and tested all kind of boundaries. That was a year of the fits and tantrums. It got better after she turned 3. I didn't have as tight of a schedule back then, so I just let her freak out until she was done, wherever that was (store, sidewalk, floor of the public bathroom, etc.).

Comment

Good work E! Hang in there! I feel the strain of having a large toddler as a small woman and I only have 1!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                X