Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Reflux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflux

I need some insight please.

I'm concerned J might have reflux. He is a very gassy baby, but I'm not sure it is just that. (We've been using simethicone, but it doesn't seem to help a whole lot)

He'll go through non-stop crying periods that are starting to drive DH nuts when he's home alone with the kids. Admittedly, it seems to happen less often when I'm around, but I've experienced it too. He'll resist the bottle or breast a lot (especially the bottle) and there is a lot of arching and stiffening.

He doesn't really spit up a bunch though. When he does spit up, it almost always happens when he's eaten a lot at once (and especially if I'm really full and have a more forceful letdown) and his discomfort seems to go away right after he spits up or burps. Some days he doesn't spit up at all.

It seems to usually happen mid-morning or late at night.

The other thing I'm wondering is if it could be really early teething?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

DS used to be a very gassy baby too. He loved tummy time and would mostly scream unless in vertical position. A bit of diluted prune juice also helped. He stopped screaming when he learned to roll and sit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds very much like dd. Once we tried the meds she was a new baby. Made such a huge difference. Ask your pediatrician what he thinks. FYI: The first med we tried didn't work as well as the second.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I set up an appt for Friday. He was apparently screaming all morning. DH doesn't handle that well.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Tell him no one handles that well! And find him a support site online. No advice. My kid was colicky and the only thing that calmed him was standing on a bed and gently bouncing on the mattress while rocking him. We watched a lot of tv bouncing/rocking that kid!
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Sounds familiar. Our pediatrician was conservative with a reflux diagnosis with a "wait-and-see" attitude because my children were gaining weight. Two of four were on meds and three had special formula along with their breastmilk.
            Needs

Comment

Have you eliminated anything from your diet?

No...and I really hope I don't have to give up dairy because my nespresso arrives tomorrow!

He is gaining weight like a champ, though things have really gotten worse in the past two weeks. (since I've been back at work) He doesn't seem to want to nurse for as long/as much. Or really, it seems like he wants to, but he wont latch on or just screams at the breast. I'm also surprised at how little he is eating of what I pump, at least compared to N, and they are growing at a similar rate. N was eating 15-20 oz per day while I was at work. J probably eats 10oz at most.

Tell him no one handles that well! And find him a support site online.
              Ha, if only. I did tell them that. He gets angry and then feels really guilty later.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                My kid was colicky and the only thing that calmed him was standing on a bed and gently bouncing on the mattress while rocking him. We watched a lot of tv bouncing/rocking that kid!
                That reminds me of DS. The ONLY way we could settle him those first couple months was by bouncing on the exercise ball.
                I always suspected DS had reflux because he spit up so much, but his ped was very conservative and didn't think he needed meds, especially since he was on track with his weight gain.

Comment

He probably feels like he's "failing" and it's all the harder because he doesn't have boobs to comfort J. I'd look at your diet too if this just started when you went back to work. Did you start drinking a daily Trente expresso are anything obvious? Lol
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Actually I've had less coffee and milk. Might be worth trying to cut out for a few days...would a few days do it though?

Comment

It has a long half life in the baby through the milk. A few days *should* do it, but I wouldn't expect to see results until it had actually been a few days. Not sure on the dairy but the half life of caffeine in an infant is like 4 days (vs. 4 hours in adults).
                      Angie

Comment

Isn't he due for another growth spurt? Those always messed with my kids big time.
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

DS was very gassy too. Gripe water, Dr Browns bottles, gently bouncing him helped. I suspected reflux too but he got so much relief from passing gas, I'm not sure. He rarely spit up and the pedi was reluctant to give him any meds. He would never lie flat. He loved to lie in the boppy with his head and shoulders on the cushion. I hope something helps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

C threw up ALL the time. In retrospect, she did have reflux but was gaining weight so they didn't do anything.

Honestly, I think some kids are screamers though. He's at a prime age for colic. D went through this and everyone told me to eliminate stuff which we know now would have no impact (since she's stopped now that she's older). I'm not a huge fan of mom eliminating unless really nothing works but that's my own bias, my mom swore by it with my brother.

It was literally sob inducing how much C in particular would SCREAM at certain times in the day. One thing that's unconventional but really worked was taking her for a walk at the fussiest times. My babies LOVED looking up at trees or around in parks. Can J try to go to the playground/on walks during those times? I know it's tempting to stay home because he's upset but listening to screams bounce off of walls doesn't help either. Being on walks seemed to soothe them.
                            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Yeah, I suggested going outside. That always shut N up too! He really could just be a screamer. He's awful in the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X