Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Supplementing with Formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With my first, I was so worried she'd end up with asthma, like DH had as a kid. I caved (prior to kids) and let him get a dog - kids with pets have lower rates of allergies. I exclusively breastfed for well over six months, all baby food was homemade, I was very careful about what was introduced when, and I continued to breastfeed until beyond 14 months, without supplementing (making myself absolutely crazy at times). I kept my house clean, but not too clean, didn't use antibacterial soap, just regular soap, and let her immune system build up naturally. I did everything right. Guess what? The kid has crazy allergies, needs allergy shots, and I'm back to making all of her food (including bread) from scratch. My other kids were breastfed, but I didn't do anything special worrying about allergies and they may have some, but not like DD. My conclusion...worrying causes allergies??? As so many BTDT mamas have said, do what works for you.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I have a mixed relationship with the pump. I don't really hate it, but I don't enjoy pumping. I do love that it's something I can do, so I keep doing it. I make some of E's food, but certainly not the majority of it. I don't think formula is bad (it's probably better than the silly puffs I'm giving her), this is totally a stubbornness thing for me - my body should be able to produce milk for her, therefore I refuse to give up. I think partly because we dealt with fertility treatments to get her, I feel like body failed me at that, and I refused to let it fail me now too. It's finally kind of doing something right (in addition to actually carrying her to term and delivering a healthy baby). I realize that I'm probably a crazy person for this. I even bought the formula already, so the money is spent, and I can't even totally claim cost savings.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I pumped 10.5oz today!! I need 10oz for her bottles, so I'm back to doing well!
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
          Ithis is totally a stubbornness thing for me - my body should be able to produce milk for her, therefore I refuse to give up. I think partly because we dealt with fertility treatments to get her, I feel like body failed me at that, and I refused to let it fail me now too. It's finally kind of doing something right (in addition to actually carrying her to term and delivering a healthy baby). I realize that I'm probably a crazy person for this. I even bought the formula already, so the money is spent, and I can't even totally claim cost savings.
          I SO get this. I felt the same after all my pre-e complications. Like breastfeeding was something I finally hard *some* control over, so I was going to force it to work no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
            I pumped 10.5oz today!! I need 10oz for her bottles, so I'm back to doing well!
            I think your first thought was correct. You were sick and that effected your supply. Its good to know for the future. Hopefully now that we are in summer months you'll stay well for a while! Good job momma!
            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Regarding supply, I wanted to tell you that your body will catch up. Lambie has been practically pulling my nipples off and nursing all night for the last 3 days. I've been struggling to keep up the supply. Today, I'm totally engorged and having to nurse hourly just to relieve myself. It will even out.

BTW, 12 . 5 lbs is really tiny. Lambie is 13lbs and 24" now and she's in the 25th percentile at 4 months. How tall is your dd? What does the pediatrician say?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                Regarding supply, I wanted to tell you that your body will catch up. Lambie has been practically pulling my nipples off and nursing all night for the last 3 days. I've been struggling to keep up the supply. Today, I'm totally engorged and having to nurse hourly just to relieve myself. It will even out.
                That's not always true with pumping. Definitely, completely true with a BFing baby. But since your pump removes milk less efficiently from your breast/intervals tend to be fixed and not on demand/you don't let down for a pump like you do your baby, I know many women (including myself) who despite pumping M-F multiple times/day, have supply issues. Lactational ammenorhea almost never happens for a pumping mom for this reason. It has to be round the clock BFing to prevent your period from returning. Mine doesn't return because I don't ovulate and some women are particularly sensitive so don't get their periods but it's been shown to be much less effective in pumping women.

For some reason, most women seem to have supply problems come up at 5-6 months with pumping. I kept up fine for the first few months, it's now that I'm having trouble.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

We know she's super tiny, and the pediatrician is keeping an eye on her. There's a thread from a couple of months ago that details a lot of it. She's 23.5" long now, so she's pretty short - both length and weight are in the 1st percentile, and her weight for length is in the 25th I think. At this point, since she's hitting milestones and seems otherwise well, nobody is worried - she's just petite like me. I'm only 5'1" now - at 6m I was 13lbs 5oz, 24.5", and at a year I was 17lbs, 27".

Comment

I have a cousin who ia teeny. Her daughter is 1yo and wears a size 6 months. She's looking for a size 0-3mo walking shoe now. Otherwise, she's perfectly healthy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I had a couple of friends in Phoenix who celebrated the 20 pounds milestone at some point after their girls were 2. Little peanuts!
                      Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                        I had a couple of friends in Phoenix who celebrated the 20 pounds milestone at some point after their girls were 2. Little peanuts!
                        This is us! Dd was 19 pounds! My dd can still technically be carried in an ergo and she's almost 5!
                        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I love this article on "inclusive breastfeeding" http://sdbfc.com/blog/2014/6/2/defin...l#.U5JtWPmwI85

Comment

Yes! This is so nice to read. I really beat myself up over not exclusively breastfeeding DS. I just couldn't keep up with his needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                            X