Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baby bedtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with ocean child. I'm also sometimes hesitant to chime in on these things but I can say if you keep a journal of when she sleeps/wakes and eats. It makes it so much easier to see her pattern and you can even make notes if she slept longer periods of time. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

I get it. I don't have any high expectations, I just see how awful our days are when she's overtired, and I know our schedule isn't doing her any favors. I truly don't think she's getting as much sleep as is developmentally necessary most nights, and she's making up for it with overtired screaming and then too-long naps that get her confused about day and night. At this point, I go back to work in 3 weeks and will probably start going to bed earlier myself at that point, and DH and I will get up at the same time again, so that will help. We're just going to keep trying to teach her - gently - to sleep without us in the room and hope it eventually sticks. She's already a great sleeper when we're there, so I'm optimistic.
      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

No, definitely keep doing that. I was just trying to temper your expectations.
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Oh shoot, just reading now that she's only a little nugget. I say you're doing fine! Stay the course, and you'll get there... Don't CIO. Ignore my other post in your naps thread!
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We've had a few nights of moderate success with getting her to bed earlier! We're just slowly getting to get her used to sleeping in the room on her own... Lots of going back in and rocking her when she can't settle, but after a while she goes to sleep on her own. Last night she got 12 hours, minus 3 short wakings!

We're pretty much giving up on regular napping except to try and help her wind down (pacifier, rocking, etc) when she seems sleepy during the day. The good sleep at night is helping her to be less overtired so it's not as big a deal now. She'll usually crash for at least one good nap, or a couple shorter ones, as long as we notice and quiet things down for her. The swing works now, if we rock her down a bit first.

Comment

A was a cat-napper until about 8 months. Then she did a 2-hour afternoon nap and 12 hours at night. Hang in there.
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Well, a couple weeks in and we can consistently get her to bed between 8 and 9 pm with minimal fuss and minimal re-awakenings. We'll move it earlier gradually as she gets older. Her night wakings increased again but I'm going to work on those next, rocking her back down instead of nursing if she's eaten very recently. I start work in a week, I need her sleeping decently or I'm going to be a total zombie. Her naps are still a wild card but it's totally fine because she's not cranky and sleepy all the time anymore. She doesn't sleep as well as some babies, I don't see STTN happening anytime soon, but overall she's actually pretty easy. To make it even better, DH has appointed himself the baby bedtime champion, and he's great at it. I feed her, then he rocks her and puts her to bed. Success!

Comment

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                  X